Photo

Really Need New Foundation That Won't Make Pores Look Larger! Currently Using Revlion Colorstay?

foundation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#21 Helton

Helton

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Seeing good reviews and rave about Colorstay I was excited to buy it, and I bought it! Like everyone here it felt awful =/. I am not sure if my lack of make-up skills since its my first foundation.. but its indeed like a mask, sticky and heavy, the downside of it too is just how its so hard to remove... and having to experience acne, you just really want your skin to breathe, you want to go to bed with clean skin.. and after some wipes another wipes and so on.. its still coming, and even after washing my face.. it feels like there's still some left residue but then again maybe that's me being freaky towards putting anything on my face haha. From then I stayed away from foundation.

Though am still in search for a good everyday use lightweight feel, won't break me out make up or tinted moisturizer even bb cream they just need to fit in that category, to atleast make my skin look presentable, address the issue of dark spots and uneven skin tone. huh.png

Don't give up on it just yet smile.png
I can give u a tip on applying ANY foundations, is to apply it with a semi WET brush, but not dripping wet ( The ones that looks like paint brush, I don't know if there's a specific name for it)

A LITTLE bit goes a long way, especially for Revlon Colorstay, it's insanely high coverage, so it tends to look unnatural if you apply a little bit too much.

And to take off make up, try using cold cream by Ponds. Just follow the instructions on it smile.png

Hi thaaaaank you for the encouragement, yes I did try to use a foundation stippling brush, its like a flat kind of paint brush. However it was a fail again, to add to it I think the mismatch color give an unappealing result to it as well however the over all feel of the foundation is really heavy for me sad.png

Hmmmm I forgot to mention as well how because its so hard to take out every bit of the residue of the foundation, it seems like my skin got irritated of the wiping and removing I end up developing some cystic pimples on my right cheek, which whom I am always prone of. Though I'll try to consider the Ponds cold cream, as a make up remover. smile.png

:( I'm sorry to hear that!

It was definitely hard for me to find a color match too, good thing places like Walgreens let people return and exchange unlimited of times, haha!
I exchanged at least twice to get the color that matches me the most.

I don't know how much Colorstay u r using; but for me, I would say the size of a rice grain is enough for half of my face. Just remember to use it really lightly, if you want more coverage, then go back and apply a tiny bit more, and repeat until you get the coverage that you like.

And always use PRIMER, such as Smashbox. It's the one thing that makes foundation looks nice and smooth on skin.

Nevertheless, there's many other good foundation brands that you should try. Like, Almay, Rimmel, Maybeline etc. None of them have the coverage as intense as Colorstay though from my experience.
I also read that Almay makes the best foundation for acne prone skin ( Personally, I tired and didn't like it though, the color selection runs toward the pale~light shades. Even though I am light skinned, that doesn't mean I want to look ghostly pale, haha! Coverage wise, it's much lighter than Colorstay. )

Helton's Accutane Log:

http://www.acne.org/...og-58ft-140lbs/

: )

#22 cinnamon girl

cinnamon girl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

sad.png I'm sorry to hear that!

It was definitely hard for me to find a color match too, good thing places like Walgreens let people return and exchange unlimited of times, haha!

I don't know how much Colorstay u r using; but for me, I would say the size of a rice grain is enough for half of my face. Just remember to use it really lightly, if you want more coverage, then go back and apply a tiny bit more, and repeat until you get the coverage that you like.

And always use PRIMER, such as Smashbox. It's the one thing that makes foundation looks nice and smooth on skin.

Nevertheless, there's many other good foundation brands that you should try. Like, Almay, Rimmel, Maybeline etc. None of them have the coverage as intense as Colorstay though from my experience.
I also read that Almay makes the best foundation for acne prone skin ( Personally, I tired and didn't like it though, the color selection runs toward the pale~light shades. Even though I am light skinned, that doesn't mean I want to look ghostly pale, haha! Coverage wise, it's much lighter than Colorstay. )

Yeah in someway I am aiming to use the Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation, they had good reviews about it as well how its lighter feel than Colorstay, though its still not available in our place. I am also trying to consider probably the Neutrogena Healthy Skin and your other recommendations, so thank you! Fortunate for you that you have shops such as those that allows return and exchange in unlimited times! Haha oompf.gif Yes, later did I found out about the necessity of using a Primer saywhat.gif since I am soooo new to using make up. I'll try to look for a smashbox. I am over yellow tone, probably NC25, MAC shades been a popular guide towards comparing shades and all. I'll try to update things when I get to have the Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation.

Edited by cinnamon girl, 19 March 2013 - 07:17 PM.

"Be Strong and have a Good Courage"

Current Regimen:

Morning:

- Celeteque Acne Cleansing Gel
- SPF50+ Sunscreen

Evening:

- Celeteque Clearing Facial Moisturizer Gel

#23 Helton

Helton

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

sad.png I'm sorry to hear that!

Yeah in someway I am aiming to use the Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation, they had good reviews about it as well how its lighter feel than Colorstay, though its still not available in our place. I am also trying to consider probably the Neutrogena Healthy Skin and your other recommendations, so thank you! Fortunate for you that you have shops such as those that allows return and exchange in unlimited times! Haha oompf.gif Yes, later did I found out about the necessity of using a Primer saywhat.gif since I am soooo new to using make up. I'll try to look for a smashbox. I am over yellow tone, probably NC25, MAC shades been a popular guide towards comparing shades and all. I'll try to update things when I get to have the Revlon Nearly Naked Foundation.

I think NC 25 should be "Fresh Beige" in the Revlon color range, I am NC 30 and uses "True Beige". smile.png

Healthy skin isn't a bad choice, it has salicylic acid in it and should help with breakout for a bit.
I don't know about Nearly Naked though, have you tried the "whipped" version of ColorStay yet? It's WAY better than the liquid version, much more natural looking finish.

Haha, I remember the good old time when I was freshly new to foundation too.
I used to use my finger and rub it around on my face. Luckily it didn't lead to any bigger problems

Just make sure to moisturize your skin well the night before, exfoliate in the morning if you need to, then apply primer, and then use a wet brush to slowly "paint" over your skin. Be gentle and lightly spread the foundation around.
(There should be one more step at the end where people use loose powder to "set" the foundation, but I never see the point of it so I skip it entirely. If you have oily skin then it might benefits you to use it though. But the whole foundation routine should only be involving: primer -> foundation -> *optional* loose powder)

And one thing about foundation is that it tends to look better as the time goes on, so don't worry if you think it looks a bit unnatural at first, most likely it'll blend well in your skin in like an hour or so~ But that doesn't mean you can apply a ton of it... go slow!
The key is to slowly build up the coverage rather than putting on too much right off the bat. Apply just a little bit, if the coverage isn't enough, put a little more on the areas that you want to cover. And repeat until you think it has enough coverage. smile.png

Edited by Helton, 19 March 2013 - 10:45 PM.

Helton's Accutane Log:

http://www.acne.org/...og-58ft-140lbs/

: )

#24 meganluvsburdies

meganluvsburdies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

I would suggest getting a good primer to apply before putting on foundation, I've found that this helps even when using a cheaper kind of foundation. Also, I started using something called "Pore Filler" made by NYX. They sell it at most drugstores and it's around 10 bucks...it really does fill your pores! The only problem I've noticed with it is it's a bit drying, but I just use a little extra moisturizer and it works just fine :)

#25 Lily87

Lily87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:32 AM

Hi- Lancome's Teint Miracle is amazing.

I put a tutorial on my blog using this foundation- you can see how easily it covers acne.

www.4loveofmakeup.wordpress.com

It looks really natural, builds easily without looking cakey, is good for sensitive skin and stays put all day. Everyone I've ever recommended it to has loved it.

As for Revlon Colour Stay, I've always found that to have a tacky, paint like texture and have never really got on with it.

#26 cinnamon girl

cinnamon girl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

I think NC 25 should be "Fresh Beige" in the Revlon color range, I am NC 30 and uses "True Beige". smile.png

Healthy skin isn't a bad choice, it has salicylic acid in it and should help with breakout for a bit.
I don't know about Nearly Naked though, have you tried the "whipped" version of ColorStay yet? It's WAY better than the liquid version, much more natural looking finish.

Haha, I remember the good old time when I was freshly new to foundation too.
I used to use my finger and rub it around on my face. Luckily it didn't lead to any bigger problems

Just make sure to moisturize your skin well the night before, exfoliate in the morning if you need to, then apply primer, and then use a wet brush to slowly "paint" over your skin. Be gentle and lightly spread the foundation around.
(There should be one more step at the end where people use loose powder to "set" the foundation, but I never see the point of it so I skip it entirely. If you have oily skin then it might benefits you to use it though. But the whole foundation routine should only be involving: primer -> foundation -> *optional* loose powder)

And one thing about foundation is that it tends to look better as the time goes on, so don't worry if you think it looks a bit unnatural at first, most likely it'll blend well in your skin in like an hour or so~ But that doesn't mean you can apply a ton of it... go slow!
The key is to slowly build up the coverage rather than putting on too much right off the bat. Apply just a little bit, if the coverage isn't enough, put a little more on the areas that you want to cover. And repeat until you think it has enough coverage. smile.png

Thanks a lot for the tips, I'll keep them in mind. I haven't tried the whipped cream version though it has good reviews too about how it is easily manageable than the Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foudation. Aaaaah thanks as well for the swatch color saywhat.gif I'll definitely try it once I get to buy so, I mean its ok to like try it, to check color match. Over my first foundation I tried it on the wrist as I don't want to put anything on my face in public places haha as well how the lighting may play a big part in a way since malls store are indoor and has this really bright white lighting which I abhor, coz it just highlight every blemishes in your face haha. Oh for the record I got the Ivory shade, and I think it has this pink grayish tone on it which doesn't suit my yellow one. I hope I'll find a foundation that will definitely suit my skin. smile.png

Edited by cinnamon girl, 20 March 2013 - 06:58 PM.

Current Regimen:

Morning:

- SPF50+ Sunscreen

Evening:

#27 cinnamon girl

cinnamon girl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Hi- Lancome's Teint Miracle is amazing.

I put a tutorial on my blog using this foundation- you can see how easily it covers acne.

www.4loveofmakeup.wordpress.com

It looks really natural, builds easily without looking cakey, is good for sensitive skin and stays put all day. Everyone I've ever recommended it to has loved it.

As for Revlon Colour Stay, I've always found that to have a tacky, paint like texture and have never really got on with it.

Wow indeed it does look good on you, having to wear make up that looks cakey is definitely a no. I would put this one on my list.

Current Regimen:

Morning:

- SPF50+ Sunscreen

Evening:

#28 Stella the diver

Stella the diver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

I think his tips are great about hiding pores :http://www.youtube.c...h?v=EmZm3vwrF8Q

My daily routine: 

Morning : Wash face with Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash, moisturize with Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer w/ spf30

Before bedtime: Wash face with Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash and apply Tactuo on affected areas

Medication: 100 mg Minocycline/day

Makeup routine: 

Primer: B.Kamins Corrective Mattifier

Foundation: Mary Kay Timewise Matte-wear foundation

Set: Revlon Photoready Translucent Finisher

#29 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

Thanks for all the great tips guys! I started using the Too Faced primer and I switched moisturizers, and voila, my face doesn't look orange anymore. :)

You! Yes, you. The one reading this. You are beautiful, talented, amazing and simply the best at being you. Never forget that.

You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to you boyfriend/spouse/partner. Not to your coworkers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked "female."

Plea to the world: Eat less meat! Or better yet, don't eat it at all! The meat industry violates basic animal rights, it's destroying our planet, and there are so many health benefits you can gain by decreasing/eliminating meat from your diet. Don't let me tell you- do your own research so you can decide for yourself. (The dairy and egg industries are just as horrendous).

I highly recommend watching the movie Earthlings. ^

#30 Madeleine24

Madeleine24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

Always use a primer. I use one by Stila it also has an SPF. My foundation is Lancome Teint Idole 24HR (the originaly teint idole was better though :o!).

Revlon Colorstay is way too Orangey! I also rec Estee Lauder Double Wear or the Shiseido foundation but I can't remember which, Shiseido is right into Pore Minimizing though. 

SUPPLEMENTS:

Orthoplex Multi Flora Probiotic

Zinc & Vitamin C

#31 kylenea

kylenea

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Hey Savy!

I'm glad that you've invested in a primer, and everyone is correct-- they do minimize pores and create a flawless canvas.

HOWEVER.....and there's a but....

Using primers with Silicone (and oil, too) will absolutely worsen your acne. Even if it doesn't cause an initial breakout, the primer is creating a barrier between the world and your skin, so anything that's happening in and on your epidermis is beneath the primer. If you have any sort of active breakout, deep down or surface, it's being suffocated, and is unable to naturally heal. The primer is not letting your skin breathe!

Silicone is especially bad, as it does not allow the skin to breathe. (Of course, sadly, it creates the most beautiful doll-like canvas! Bah!)

As someone who is seriously and totally invested in the art of beauty, I would return the Too Face primer, as the long term damage is not worth it. Instead, I would invest in a silicone and oil-free primer. Unfortunately, there are far and few, and they don't provide nearly as obvious results as some more popular primers, like Hourglass mineral veil, Porefessional, HD micro, Too Faced, but your skin will thank you long term!

One primer that I will use is the Sepora Silicone and Oil-free primer. (Odd for me, because I don't typically buy generic. I'm a slave to brand :( ) Korres makes a SILICONE-free, but not oil-free, primer that is wonderful, but unfortunately does not suit my sensitive skin. Laura Mericer has an oil-free primer with light silicone. There are several more, but I would definitely consider!

(As for the state of my skin, it's pretty clear!)

#32 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

Hey Savy!

I'm glad that you've invested in a primer, and everyone is correct-- they do minimize pores and create a flawless canvas.

HOWEVER.....and there's a but....

Using primers with Silicone (and oil, too) will absolutely worsen your acne. Even if it doesn't cause an initial breakout, the primer is creating a barrier between the world and your skin, so anything that's happening in and on your epidermis is beneath the primer. If you have any sort of active breakout, deep down or surface, it's being suffocated, and is unable to naturally heal. The primer is not letting your skin breathe!

Silicone is especially bad, as it does not allow the skin to breathe. (Of course, sadly, it creates the most beautiful doll-like canvas! Bah!)

As someone who is seriously and totally invested in the art of beauty, I would return the Too Face primer, as the long term damage is not worth it. Instead, I would invest in a silicone and oil-free primer. Unfortunately, there are far and few, and they don't provide nearly as obvious results as some more popular primers, like Hourglass mineral veil, Porefessional, HD micro, Too Faced, but your skin will thank you long term!

One primer that I will use is the Sepora Silicone and Oil-free primer. (Odd for me, because I don't typically buy generic. I'm a slave to brand sad.png ) Korres makes a SILICONE-free, but not oil-free, primer that is wonderful, but unfortunately does not suit my sensitive skin. Laura Mericer has an oil-free primer with light silicone. There are several more, but I would definitely consider!

(As for the state of my skin, it's pretty clear!)

Oh no! Well that sucks! And I just bought the Tarte BB tinted treatment primer, which has silicone. :( That's too bad because I really love how it looks. I guess I'll have to look into some of the products you mentioned. Thanks so much!

You! Yes, you. The one reading this. You are beautiful, talented, amazing and simply the best at being you. Never forget that.

You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to you boyfriend/spouse/partner. Not to your coworkers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked "female."

Plea to the world: Eat less meat! Or better yet, don't eat it at all! The meat industry violates basic animal rights, it's destroying our planet, and there are so many health benefits you can gain by decreasing/eliminating meat from your diet. Don't let me tell you- do your own research so you can decide for yourself. (The dairy and egg industries are just as horrendous).

I highly recommend watching the movie Earthlings. ^

#33 solveanceforever

solveanceforever

Cure Acne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

if anyone finds the best one, pm me with links

1 Start reading --> Help Me! What I Do!?!? /// 2 what to use? right here --> the acne.org line -- why are you making it any more difficult? -- that's all you need. you don't need anything more than that. follow it exactly, then tell me how it was in detail (with photo proofs)

3 is it Christmas yet? -->> Cure Acne Guide <<-- (you may pm me one highest quality evidence for my reviewing)

look, you may not care, but i do -- misinformation or awfully poor data is extremely dangerousmuch comes from marketers, gurus, other media, and simply unreliable, careless people, fake or real, intentionally or not. they are NOT there to help you -- and they don't care about you -- understand that. if they did, they would make sure the data was reliable -- absolutely reliable -- among other things. so you better have diligence. You should care about where you get your data from, because 99% of it is crap, and if you still don't care, then i don't care, and you can go ahead and eat unreliable fast food junk data and bloat yourself up to become a low-quality person for the rest of your life. good people don't want that for you, only the bad do. at times, you'll piss a lot of people off when you tell them what's reality. there's a lot of sigs, and if you want to keep with quality, this is the only place i personally trust until someone shows me solid, reliable evidence. 

i have a one 1-line reply per directly acne-specific thread policy. all distractions/notifications turned off. if you have reliable evidence i should see, you may pm

* evil people have profiteered off of the expense of others long enough,

* so remember im only sharing this guide for those Few people

* that will actually care and appreciate it. im doing you a Huge favour~