Photo

Really Need New Foundation That Won't Make Pores Look Larger! Currently Using Revlion Colorstay?

foundation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

I'm currently using Revlon Colorstay, and its okay, but in the sunlight my face looks orange and uneven. I haven't been able to find a better foundation because they all make my pores look worse or make me look really orange. Any suggestions??

#2 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

Almay Smart Shade. It covers lightly and will not settle into lines or pores.

#3 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

I use Clinique continuous coverage. It's a medium to heavy coverage. It is pretty thick stuff though some thin mine out with a drug store sensitive skin foundation. Like cover girls. Otherwise I use my moisturizer to thin it out and make it easier to work with. I started using it once I was on accutane. Everything else I tried made me look very matte and almost dead. So I really like this foundation if you are looking for good coverage and something that doesn't feel über heavy.

#4 clambak3

clambak3

OG

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

I'm currently using Revlon Colorstay, and its okay, but in the sunlight my face looks orange and uneven. I haven't been able to find a better foundation because they all make my pores look worse or make me look really orange. Any suggestions??

OH DEAR GOD WHY? Sorry I'm not trying to come off as rude or anything I just simply hate Colorstay. :P It's like a mask and for me wipes off super easily and makes me look sick and gray no matter what color I try.

I reallllllly like Loreal True Match everything. Not gonna lie there's not a whole lot of coverage and if you do use the concealer (LOVE IT) you will use a lot if you have a lot of spots to cover up like I do. But it will look natural and cover fairly well. And along with that it's non-comedogenic and super freaking awesome and cheap.

I use a flat $3 e.l.f powder brush from Target to stipple on the foundation and powder and it looks awesomeeee.

#5 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

Seconding the hate for colorstay, everyone seems to love it, but why was a mystery to me.

The best thing to eliminate the look of pores is to actually use a primer, or use a brush when applying your foundation to buff around the area in circular motions.

I'm currently using estee lauders double wear. I really like it, it covers well but isnt obvious in natural light, I dont use a concealer with it either, I just touch up over my spots.

Good luck!

#6 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

OH DEAR GOD WHY? Sorry I'm not trying to come off as rude or anything I just simply hate Colorstay. :P It's like a mask and for me wipes off super easily and makes me look sick and gray no matter what color I try.

I reallllllly like Loreal True Match everything. Not gonna lie there's not a whole lot of coverage and if you do use the concealer (LOVE IT) you will use a lot if you have a lot of spots to cover up like I do. But it will look natural and cover fairly well. And along with that it's non-comedogenic and super freaking awesome and cheap.

I use a flat $3 e.l.f powder brush from Target to stipple on the foundation and powder and it looks awesomeeee.

Okay, well that's obviously not the experience I've had with Revlon Colorstay. My problem isn't covering up acne anymore- I need a makeup that covers up my pores and doesn't sink into them. The Revlon Colorstay is honestly the only makeup I've ever used that actually helped cover up my pores, and it has really good coverage. Yeah, it can look kind of like a "mask," but what full coverage foundation doesn't? The light foundations just make my skin look worse. The only reason I want a different foundation is because it tends to look a little orange. I've tried countless other foundations from just about every brand you can name, and they have all ended in disaster. Plus I never have to touch up with the Revlon. I've also had horrible experiences with brushes. My skin just really, really sucks. After writing this I've realized I should just stick with the Revlon, lol. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Seconding the hate for colorstay, everyone seems to love it, but why was a mystery to me.

The best thing to eliminate the look of pores is to actually use a primer, or use a brush when applying your foundation to buff around the area in circular motions.

I'm currently using estee lauders double wear. I really like it, it covers well but isnt obvious in natural light, I dont use a concealer with it either, I just touch up over my spots.

Good luck!

I knew I should have clarified this earlier because I knew someone would suggest this, but I already use a primer. It helps a little bit. I might actually check out the foundation though.

#7 ClearDreaming

ClearDreaming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:24 AM

If you go to an estee lauder counter they will give you a 10 day sample of it over here, assume its the same in the us. might be worth it as is a little pricey!

#8 adhpn7

adhpn7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

I used to use Colorstay but it was just bloody awful!! It was like paint... it had the oddest consistency,was super orange and impossible to get off, even with my clarisonic. The foundation I switched to after that, Which is unfort. on the pricer side was Chanel's Perfection foundation. That was better than Colorstay, but my all time favorite foundation I am using currently. (Which doesn't oxidize!! Crazy thought for us pale girls) is Lancome Photo Luminecense or Perfection. I LOVE this foundation. It does not look cakey. The coverage is light to medium, but can be buildable. It's great, but I would get rid of Colorstay ASAP.

#9 CeeBee25

CeeBee25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:34 AM

I also agree with the hate for Revlon Colorstay! I used to use it everyday just because it was super full coverage but it felt SO heavy and disgustingly greasy on my face. It was so hard to take off at the end of the day and I had so many clogged pores while using it.

I switched to L'oreal Infallible foundation a month ago and my skin has cleared up a lot! I'm convinced Colorstay was breaking me out cos it's sooo thick. I really recommend the Infallible foundation :) it's a medium coverage but can be buildable, and is a much thinner creamier consistency than Revlon. It feels really light and smooth on the face, and has a really natural finish. It covers all my redness and scars fine. Im super pale and the ivory shade matches my skin tone without being orange :) they have a good colour range and its affordable too.

#10 LaurenHolt

LaurenHolt

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

You've mentioned you use a primer - how about the Porefessional by Benefit. It's a great primer that reduces pores, redness, mattifies your skin and provides a great base so your makeup doesn't slide off.

I was really confused how a tiny bottle could be a little pricey, but you honestly need so so little. A pea drop per cheek and a pea drop for t-zone. I've had mine for 4 months, only just running out now. I never need to reapply makeup and pores don't shine through.

#11 mermaidlovex

mermaidlovex

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

If its making you look orange, your moisturizer is making your foundation oxidize. And or the sunscreen in the moisturizer is making the foundation turn colors. . I love Revlom color stay foundation. It's my go too when I'm doing someone else's make up. (Freelance make up artist)

#12 naturalog

naturalog

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

You might want to try a pore-minimizing primer. Most primers work to minimize the appearance of pores, along with oil-controlling and other properties that helps makeup stay put longer. I personally have not found any foundation that doesnt eventually sink into pores. I believe oil can make foundation oxidize and turn orange so either control your oil by using oil-free products (or anti-shine products) or try a different shade of foundation. 

#13 Helton

Helton

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

No foundation will cover up pores without PRIMER.

Primer is the one thing that creates a barrier on the pores, so the foundation will stick on it instead of settling in them.

#14 Clkw

Clkw

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

The new Garnier BB Cream for oily-combo skin is awesome. It has really good coverage for bb cream and helps with oil control.

#15 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

You need primer. I know...one extra step... :(

No experience with Revlon ColorStay. I find that the MAC Studio Sculpt (not the Studio Fix) line covers pores well.

#16 cinnamon girl

cinnamon girl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

Seeing good reviews and rave about Colorstay I was excited to buy it, and I bought it! Like everyone here it felt awful =/. I am not sure if my lack of make-up skills since its my first foundation.. but its indeed like a mask, sticky and heavy, the downside of it too is just how its so hard to remove... and having to experience acne, you just really want your skin to breathe, you want to go to bed with clean skin.. and after some wipes another wipes and so on.. its still coming, and even after washing my face.. it feels like there's still some left residue but then again maybe that's me being freaky towards putting anything on my face haha. From then I stayed away from foundation.

Though am still in search for a good everyday use lightweight feel, won't break me out make up or tinted moisturizer even bb cream they just need to fit in that category, to atleast make my skin look presentable, address the issue of dark spots and uneven skin tone. huh.png

Edited by cinnamon girl, 07 March 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#17 aprilh0603

aprilh0603

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

I have found a primer foundation combo that I really like for my pores. They're Urban Decay. I use their pore perfecting primer first (makes a huge difference for me) and then I use their Naked Skin liquid foundation. It really does look like my skin, only better. It's easy to build coverage where I need it most, and it doesn't settle into my pores at all. I love it. 

#18 Helton

Helton

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Seeing good reviews and rave about Colorstay I was excited to buy it, and I bought it! Like everyone here it felt awful =/. I am not sure if my lack of make-up skills since its my first foundation.. but its indeed like a mask, sticky and heavy, the downside of it too is just how its so hard to remove... and having to experience acne, you just really want your skin to breathe, you want to go to bed with clean skin.. and after some wipes another wipes and so on.. its still coming, and even after washing my face.. it feels like there's still some left residue but then again maybe that's me being freaky towards putting anything on my face haha. From then I stayed away from foundation.

Though am still in search for a good everyday use lightweight feel, won't break me out make up or tinted moisturizer even bb cream they just need to fit in that category, to atleast make my skin look presentable, address the issue of dark spots and uneven skin tone. huh.png

Don't give up on it just yet :)
I can give u a tip on applying ANY foundations, is to apply it with a semi WET brush, but not dripping wet ( The ones that looks like paint brush, I don't know if there's a specific name for it)

A LITTLE bit goes a long way, especially for Revlon Colorstay, it's insanely high coverage, so it tends to look unnatural if you apply a little bit too much.

And to take off make up, try using cold cream by Ponds. Just follow the instructions on it :)

#19 Roes797

Roes797

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

It's also the technique you use to apply your foundation. I found this awesome tutorial on youtube to make your face seem poreless! http://www.youtube.c...h?v=EmZm3vwrF8Q

Personally, some great foundations in my opinion for oily-combo skin is mac prolong wear and revlon whipped colorstay..

#20 cinnamon girl

cinnamon girl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:44 AM

Don't give up on it just yet smile.png
I can give u a tip on applying ANY foundations, is to apply it with a semi WET brush, but not dripping wet ( The ones that looks like paint brush, I don't know if there's a specific name for it)

A LITTLE bit goes a long way, especially for Revlon Colorstay, it's insanely high coverage, so it tends to look unnatural if you apply a little bit too much.

And to take off make up, try using cold cream by Ponds. Just follow the instructions on it smile.png

Hi thaaaaank you for the encouragement, yes I did try to use a foundation stippling brush, its like a flat kind of paint brush. However it was a fail again, to add to it I think the mismatch color give an unappealing result to it as well however the over all feel of the foundation is really heavy for me :(

Hmmmm I forgot to mention as well how because its so hard to take out every bit of the residue of the foundation, it seems like my skin got irritated of the wiping and removing I end up developing some cystic pimples on my right cheek, which whom I am always prone of. Though I'll try to consider the Ponds cold cream, as a make up remover. :)