Photo

Whey And Soy Protein Substitutes For Post Workout Nutrition?

mass working out nutrition protein whey soy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 solitaryman

solitaryman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

I've noticed that my skin reacts by breaking out whenever I've been taking whey protein/mass gainer supplements for awhile so I've cut that out. Tried to replace my post workout nutrition with soy milk but have noticed very small breakouts too. Anyone else here who works out/bodybuild can point me in the direction of other easy to consume protein sources that are less likely to cause breakouts?

#2 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

I've noticed that my skin reacts by breaking out whenever I've been taking whey protein/mass gainer supplements for awhile so I've cut that out. Tried to replace my post workout nutrition with soy milk but have noticed very small breakouts too. Anyone else here who works out/bodybuild can point me in the direction of other easy to consume protein sources that are less likely to cause breakouts?

Whatever other ingredients were in the protein shake. Too many blame the post workout whey protein but fail to look at other ingredients. Also how pure is the whey?

I wouldn't use soy if you're working out. Soy can increase estrogen.

If you are concerned then eat solid food post workout.

Research indicates that protein synthesis (your ability to create/repair muscle) is primed about one to three hours after your workout. That’s why you’ve been told to eat immediately after your workout. But most of that research is based on people who didn’t eat before training. If you eat a protein-filled meal before your workout, you’ll still have amino acids available, meaning the timing of your post-workout meal is less important.

So therefore there is nothing wrong with finishing your workout, go home and eating chicken and rice an hour later or whatever protein and carb meal you want to eat. Personal fave of mine is spicy cajun chicken quinoa. High protein high carb.

To conclude. If you think whey is causing u breakout then eat real food. I wouldn't use soy though. But that's just me.

Edited by TakeToTheSkies, 08 October 2012 - 07:48 AM.

Formerly Nicky D

If you stand for nothing then you will fall for anything

#3 Verdnase

Verdnase

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

I workout but i don't take any protein substitutes. If you have to take one then try hemp protein powder. It's easily digested and is high in EFAs.

Soy milk is great as it's a good source of protien, but a lot of people would say soy is bad, i disagree. Unless you have and allergy then 1-2 servings a day is healthy, most of the myths about soy are ridiculous and haven't been proven. However, i would stay away from isolated soy protein supplements.

#4 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:51 AM

I workout but i don't take any protein substitutes. If you have to take one then try hemp protein powder. It's easily digested and is high in EFAs.

Soy milk is great as it's a good source of protien, but a lot of people would say soy is bad, i disagree. Unless you have and allergy then 1-2 servings a day is healthy, most of the myths about soy are ridiculous and haven't been proven. However, i would stay away from isolated soy protein supplements.

I wouldn't say soy is bad but for working out it's not optimal due to how it can increase estrogen in the body.
Formerly Nicky D

#5 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

I have used pea protein with no problem. Not the # 1 train but it is an option. I also agree with the suggestion of eating nutrition dense food post workout if it is convenient for you.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#6 solitaryman

solitaryman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

I sometimes find it hard to stomach real foods after a heavy workout.

I usually buy this for post workout nowadays Posted Image

#7 Verdnase

Verdnase

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

I wouldn't say soy is bad but for working out it's not optimal due to how it can increase estrogen in the body.

Yes, isoflavones in soy can act as weak estrogens. I understand why some men might worry about that, but there's just no evidence that it causes any harm in men, especially the claim that it affects a man's fertility. I think as long as you have soy whole and unprocessed and moderation then it's more likley to help you than harm you.

Real whole foods are always better than supplements. You should always wait about 30 mins before you eat after a workout.

I usually buy this for post workout nowadays

Always buy organic soy milk and make sure it doesn't have carrageenan(a thickening agent that is extracted from seaweed), which is linked to cancer.

#8 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

I usually buy this for post workout nowadays Posted Image

Then give it an hour before eating. This won't impact on your gains or cutting. Believe me when i say downing a shake 3 seconds after u finishing working out is broscience.
Formerly Nicky D

#9 luizedu

luizedu

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

There are quite a few companies that produce vegan protein supplements. I take Sunwarrior's Warrior Blend (Hemp, pea and cranberry), but there are others. I think the company Vega also has good proteins.

#10 AcneIsACurse

AcneIsACurse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Try whey protein isolate, apparently they take out the lactose so there is no dairy, just the pure whey without anything else. I'm not exactly sure on that though, you could try taking egg protein powder, if that doesn't work then I guess you should just eat chicken or something like that post-workout. But yeah stay away from soy it's worse than dairy in my experience for acne.
18 years old, acne sufferer for 5 years, both of my parents had acne into their 20s, many of my family members had acne, but not nearly as bad as mine.

My acne.org regimen log

What I currently use:
Cleanser: Basis Sensitive Skin Bar
Treatment: Acne.org 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide
Sunscreen (only during the day): Neutrogena Clear Face SPF 30 Sunblock

#11 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

Soy is completely nasty for the body. Avoid if you can.

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

#12 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

An easier way would be to do workouts that involve the kind of activity that the body is meant to do and therefore has systems in place to fuel, rather than workouts that require you to eat extra food and food substitutes.

Whey, btw, is very high in the insulinemic amino acids.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#13 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

An easier way would be to do workouts that involve the kind of activity that the body is meant to do and therefore has systems in place to fuel, rather than workouts that require you to eat extra food and food substitutes.

Post workout an insulin spike is beneficial. As long as whey is taken correctly then the insulin index isn't a problem post workout.
Formerly Nicky D

#14 solitaryman

solitaryman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:54 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm just gonna stick to real foods for my post workout nutrition for now.

#15 chelslaw

chelslaw

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

what time of exercise would this be? running? walking?

#16 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

We are supposed to move around a lot all day every day walking, doing chores, etc. and to have occasional short spurts of intense activity such as sprinting, stair or hill climbing, lifting heavy things, etc.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#17 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

We are supposed to move around a lot all day every day walking, doing chores, etc. and to have occasional short spurts of intense activity such as sprinting, stair or hill climbing, lifting heavy things, etc.

I do agree with most of this.

Take long distance running for example. We're just not built for this and the impact on our body is immense. I can't do any jogging these days. Years of pounding my the treadmill and pavement for cardio work has ruined my ankles.

I much favor HIIT for my training. High intensity interval training. Better conditioning, optimum fat burn less damaging to the body.
Formerly Nicky D

#18 chelslaw

chelslaw

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

unfortunately im a duathelete so during my training season (Jan-July) i am doing long distance running and bike training. I only train 3 times a week though so not insane about it. (each time i run its 5-10K and biking is 15-40K)

my off season august-dec i focus on yoga, weight lifting and short (30 mins or less) jogging

#19 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

I do agree with most of this.

Take long distance running for example. We're just not built for this and the impact on our body is immense. I can't do any jogging these days. Years of pounding my the treadmill and pavement for cardio work has ruined my ankles.

It's also mostly wasted effort both for training and fat loss. To fuel prolonged intense workouts, your body softly burns the calories you justbate, and then it burns your muscle.

#20 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

My goto post workout meal is canned wild salmon. It's quick, and easy to get a full can down quickly before you start feeling satiation kicking in, which can happen for foods that you have to chew more. A 15-16 ounce can gets you about 80 ish grams of protein. You'll also be nabbing some other nutrients like selenium, a spectrum of b-vitamins, and omega 3s!