Photo

Which Of These Painkillers Is The Worst For Acne Or The Gut?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hi,

I had major surgery a week and a half ago, and since then have been on the following medication:

-Tylenol (acetaminophen) Extra Strength - 500 mg 8x daily
-Advil (ibuprofen) Extra Strength - 400 mg 3x daily
-Hydromorphone HCL CR (contin) - 3mg 2x daily
-Hydromorphone HCL - 1-2 mg every 4 hours as needed - I rarely take this one, maybe once every 2 days

I expect these are all bad for my acne in some way. Immune system or inflammatory response or gut (I already have leaky gut as it is), etc.
So I would like to stop taking one of them, and would like it to be the one that is probably causing me the most damage to my gut, liver and/or skin.

If tylenol's the worst I'll just start taking half as much, since it's probably the most important for me to take pain-wise.

Please feel free to give any advice you can, even if it's not a definite answer.

Thank you!

Edited by Exister, 06 October 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#2 betterness24

betterness24

Rejuvenator

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends, Guitar, Tennis, Painting, Weight-Lifting, Video-Games, Computer Tech, Android, Becoming Better... (work in progress)

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Wow you're on all of that??

Did your doctor tell you to take these??

Be careful with taking a lot of ibuprofen man it can cause stomach bleeding and junk. But as far as acne related...

Tylenol is just a pain suppresor-- affects the brain directly. Have no clue if it could cause acne.

Advil (ibuprofen, motrin)- these drugs are NSAID-- they are anti-inflammatory drugs. It should actually help reduce swelling and redness of acne.

Hydromorphone may be the cause (http://www.sideeffec...omorphone/acne/) But seriously, there are SO many other factors to think about... like the effects from combining drugs, the psychological and physiological affects from the surgery itself- hormones, lack of sleep, lack of physical exercise, lack of sunlight...

I wish I had more concrete evidence for you.. you'll just have to do some research man! Best of luck!

Edited by betterness24, 24 October 2012 - 05:40 PM.

I take these supplements daily to keep my skin at an acceptable level:

--B5 (Pantothenic Acid)-8,000mg

--B-Complex-1,000mg

--L-Carnitine-1,000mg

#3 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Still wondering about what I should or shouldn't be taking when I have a headache... I still have the hydromorphone and take that sometimes. But I'm not sure what's best for my health and acne.

#4 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

NSAIDs impair thyroid function.

Have you ever tried magnesium? Smelling peppermint? Capsaicin as in headache buster nasal spray?
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

See this http://www.acne.org/...-etc/?p=3349300
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users