Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Torquemonster

Doxycycline Stoppage - Abrupt Or Taper Down?

1 post in this topic

What's the typical practice for stopping use of doxycycline antibiotic, abruptly quit or is there some taper down scheme? In appointment yesterday my derm doc agreed with me stopping it. I have been on it 9 months (50mg AM, 50mg PM) and it just never worked well for me. Frankly I view this as good news since the doxy makes me feel semi-sick sometimes and I know you can't stay on antibiotics forever anyway.

Anyhow, the doc indicated to just stop abruptly (I asked him three time) but I recollect reading that a taper down approach is better. I could easily go to 50mg half dose once daily for a week, then every other day for another week etc. Any insight or experience with this is appreciated. I would hate to shock my system and cause a flare-up.

Just a side note, I have had very good results for the past couple months simply using a sulfur / sodium sulfacetimide cleanser and a gentle second cleanser. I realize everyone's situation is different, but sulfur use may be a worthwhile option to investigate for those struggling to find something that works for them.