oily skin

14 replies to this topic

#1 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Hi everyone, been on this site quite a few times because the sheer amount of information about acne on these message boards is pretty incredible. As a dude my skin has not always been high on priority list, but it has become increasingly frustrating. I've learned a lot from browsing this forums and thank everyone for their honest answers to a sometimes embarrassing topic

I have tremendously oily skin, something that I attribute to mainly to genetics and weight-lifting/sports; and I'm pretty sure I have elevated T levels that cause a good portion of my oily skin. My acne is not bad, but still noticeable. I have tried almost every remedy under the sun for oily skin, but none have had a significant effect. I'm not here to have a pity party about oily skin, because that never does anyone any good. While there is no miracle cure, I imagine there are a few things that would have to alleviate this issue a little.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using prescription treatments for oily skin. Specifically, I recently read a post that mentioned something called a Sulfur-Sulfacetamide Wash. I have never heard of it, but after some Google searching it seems a may have an effect of reducing facial oil, as it is labeled a treatment for seborrhea (overly oily and flaky skin).

If anyone has had any experience with Sulfur-Sulfacetamide Wash, good or bad, I'd love to hear about and how it worked for you. Thank you in advance.

#2 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hi everyone, been on this site quite a few times because the sheer amount of information about acne on these message boards is pretty incredible. As a dude my skin has not always been high on priority list, but it has become increasingly frustrating. I've learned a lot from browsing this forums and thank everyone for their honest answers to a sometimes embarrassing topic

I have tremendously oily skin, something that I attribute to mainly to genetics and weight-lifting/sports; and I'm pretty sure I have elevated T levels that cause a good portion of my oily skin. My acne is not bad, but still noticeable. I have tried almost every remedy under the sun for oily skin, but none have had a significant effect. I'm not here to have a pity party about oily skin, because that never does anyone any good. While there is no miracle cure, I imagine there are a few things that would have to alleviate this issue a little.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using prescription treatments for oily skin. Specifically, I recently read a post that mentioned something called a Sulfur-Sulfacetamide Wash. I have never heard of it, but after some Google searching it seems a may have an effect of reducing facial oil, as it is labeled a treatment for seborrhea (overly oily and flaky skin).

If anyone has had any experience with Sulfur-Sulfacetamide Wash, good or bad, I'd love to hear about and how it worked for you. Thank you in advance.

As far as topicals go, I would say that Sulfur-Sulfacetamide reduced my oiliness the most without other side effects. Benzoyl peroxide also dried my skin out tremendously, but it also would give me slight chemical burns and lots of flaking. Sulfur-Sulfacetamide dried up the oil without the side effects. I highly recommend it.

#3 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

That sounds great. I too found benzoyl peroxide worked a little but dried out my skin way too much. I had never heard of this stuff until I read your post in a different topic. I'll be trying this soon, thanks for the info.

#4 Christal DeLoach

Christal DeLoach

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

Oily Skin is NOT something you have to live with. I used to suffer as well with EXTREMELY oily skin. It seems to get worse and worse as I grew older and I always thought it was supposed to get better. Then, in the summer it was "off the chain". I couldn't take it anymore, I was starting to lose my confidence and self esteem. Then, I finally discussed it with the help of my health coach, I have found a diet that helps me to control it. Basically, you are eating something that your body is allergic to and when you eliminate those foods, your oily skin will disappear. Looking a health coach who can help you, just google "oily skin health coach"!

#5 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

That sounds great. I too found benzoyl peroxide worked a little but dried out my skin way too much.

I wish people would be more specific about what they're talking about in these posts. Are you saying that benzoyl peroxide made your skin OIL dry, or WATER (moisture) dry??

#6 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

That sounds great. I too found benzoyl peroxide worked a little but dried out my skin way too much.

I wish people would be more specific about what they're talking about in these posts. Are you saying that benzoyl peroxide made your skin OIL dry, or WATER (moisture) dry??

Wow, really? LOL of course I mean WATER dry, why would I be complaining that I am OIL dry. If I am OIL dry, then I don't have an issue and likely would not be looking for info on a solution (hence the thread name and the initial post by me, which both clearly spell out that I have oily skin and am looking for a solution). I wish people would use a little common sense in these posts :)

#7 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

All you have to do is use more specificity. There have been several times in previous years when somebody said something like "my skin is too dry", and I enquired whether they meant oil dry or water dry. They seemed not to understand what I meant. In ambiguous situations, don't make people GUESS what you mean, simply TELL us what you mean.

#8 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

All you have to do is use more specificity. There have been several times in previous years when somebody said something like "my skin is too dry", and I enquired whether they meant oil dry or water dry. They seemed not to understand what I meant. In ambiguous situations, don't make people GUESS what you mean, simply TELL us what you mean.

Bryan, you sound a little like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory ;)

#9 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:34 AM

Bryan, you sound a little like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory Posted Image

I take it as a compliment that I remind you of Sheldon! Posted Image

#10 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

LOL. I think you just like to argue behind the safety of a computer screen, as I've seen your posts in other threads bryan and it always seems like you're debating with someone rather than contributing to a discussion of the topic. You're really nitpicking over an irrelevant detail here. And while you may think it makes you look smart, I couldn't disagree more.

By the way, not sure who the "us" you're referring to in your post is. You are the only one that seems confused.

Thanks to everyone else who contributed to this thread. My skin while oily is somewhat sensitive and so I can't afford to wreck my skin trying something new when I still have classes going on, as it'd be pretty bad to give a speech or design demo with a bright red/irritated face Posted Image When my university is out for winter break I will likely try the wash or the ACV toner treatment, which I have read extremely good things about.

Edited by CBIOT13, 11 October 2012 - 08:33 PM.

#11 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

LOL. I think you just like to argue behind the safety of a computer screen, as I've seen your posts in other threads bryan and it always seems like you're debating with someone rather than contributing to a discussion of the topic.

OH REALLY?? See the thread I started just recently about the use of spironolactone to reduce oiliness.

#12 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

LOL. I think you just like to argue behind the safety of a computer screen, as I've seen your posts in other threads bryan and it always seems like you're debating with someone rather than contributing to a discussion of the topic.

OH REALLY?? See the thread I started just recently about the use of spironolactone to reduce oiliness.

Yes, and you have 2810 posts. Is that the only thread you've made? I'd hope you'd start a thread or two on your own every now and then, especially if you are as intelligent as your well worded and articulate posts would lead people to believe. So you have lots of knowledge with skin related issues? Fantastic. Post constructive and useful information so that you can better the community and maybe help a person or two.

And that's the last time I will be responding to you. I got better things to do than argue with some random person on acne.org.

#13 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

Yes, and you have 2810 posts. Is that the only thread you've made?

No, it's definitely not the only thread I've started. I've started others, too, LONG before you ever started coming here.

I'd hope you'd start a thread or two on your own every now and then, especially if you are as intelligent as your well worded and articulate posts would lead people to believe. So you have lots of knowledge with skin related issues? Fantastic. Post constructive and useful information so that you can better the community and maybe help a person or two.

I've posted an enormous amount of constructive and useful information, but you have to have the wit to understand what I'm saying to you.

#14 piwitron

piwitron

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

I'm a veteran oily face Fighter.

I can notice that Bryan is knowledgeable, just by reading the answers he takes the time to research I can honestly see his intention (I wouldn't honestly take the time to find scientific research and create a response for someone else).

At the end of the day we just want to know the TRUTH, no matter how painful it is, just as there are religious falacies, people unknowingly and unintentionally spread scientific falacies as well.

This is a condition, some people take very seriously, I for one, really do. I've tried everything to get rid of it, except pouring my own pee on my face, though there were times I would've tried. And some people take it very seriously because it affects them so much, I've been depressed and wanting to kill myself because this shit won't go away, specially when you've exhausted all options and nothing seems to work, you just want to give up!

Now, people often are not very explicit in what they mean, and specifically when it comes to the part of "use a moisterizer and your oil will go away" part, can get into your nerves and make you explode. It really does. May be with this in mind the mods could create a FAQ topic and stick it.

That could avoid situations like this. Now we are in this together so instead of arguing, I suggest we could accept that nothing that we do, will really stop this condition. We could find a common ground on that.

Just my two cents.

#15 veini6

veini6

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:27 AM

Hello I personally think that it is better to cure your oily or acne skin naturally.

Edited by veini6, 14 August 2013 - 09:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users