Photo

Intermittent Fasting- You Really Need To Try This

diet fasting nutrition vitamin vitamins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#41 righthandman

righthandman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

I started my own topic on intermittent fasting if you want to check it out.

http://www.acne.org/...n-of-androgens/

#42 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

Me? I have not yet tried intermittent fasting but I am starting today.

Oh. i thought you were a participant in our prior threads.

Edited by alternativista, 15 October 2012 - 08:34 AM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#43 righthandman

righthandman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

No, but I'm very interested in the topic

#44 betterness24

betterness24

Rejuvenator

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

That's what I'm worried about. Let me try to describe my body type: I'm 6'2", and only weigh 160lbs. But I'm no teen, I'm pushing 25. I'm a very thin guy if you couldn't tell by my description-- but with A LOT of muscle. My body requires a constant source of carb/protein just to maintain it, I don't have any fat to spare. I fasted for 72 hrs about 2 weeks ago & dropped a little below 155 (i'm sure some of that was water weight) but I literally have to gorge myself just to maintain my weight.

I will say this much for all those hardcore body builders out there... my 3 day fast did NOT hurt my strength. In fact, it was 2 days after my fast that I got my new max, 275. From what I understand, people get stronger after fasting. Not weaker. Phenomenon no doubt! Posted Image

So don't fast for 3 days. That isn't what this thread or intermittent fasting is about.

I was merely giving my own experience with fasting. I apologize if it was off topic.

Edited by betterness24, 15 October 2012 - 01:56 PM.

I take these supplements daily to keep my skin at an acceptable level:

--B5 (Pantothenic Acid)-8,000mg

--B-Complex-1,000mg

--L-Carnitine-1,000mg

#45 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

Here's a comment by a dude who had great success with intermittent fasting. I'll link to the article as well. Plenty of others seem to have had great success too

"I've been doing intermittent fasting since February and I only have great things to say for it! I'm a 24 year old male who works a 9-5 and is very active ( I work out 6 times a week....5 days of weights, 3 days of boxing, and a 4 and 7 mile run.) I started Intermittent fasting because I was terrified of getting fat after starting my job. I started with skipping breakfast..and then slowly pushing my lunch back. It turned into a Dinner to Dinner fast that I did 3 times a week! Initially there is some adjustment but I realize that what we often mistake as physical hunger is psychological! This plan allows me to eat freely on my off days as well! Finally I'm actually in the best shape of my life and my world no longer revolves around my diet...that freedom is amazingly liberating! Please do it gradually and I say "Don't knock it till you try it!" Good Luck!"

http://www.huffingto..._b_1557043.html

I'm sorry but that proves nothing.

The dude trains 6 times a week, weights, boxing and running.

The test should be done on a sedate person and then compare the results.

How about you volunteer, then?

At this current time i am too far into a training/fitness project to start changing the way i eat.

I merely pointed out that link wasn't conclusive in any way.

I am not saying intermittent fasting doesn't work, as i have said a lot of interesting data coming out.

However, for weight loss purposes or for muscle gain how is it any different to eating little and often?

If one requires 2,500 cals a day to maintain current body weight then it really doesn't matter when the said calories are consumed. The same for shedding fat or building muscle.

I am currently doing cut. I always thought nutrient timing was of the utmost importance but it just isn't as important as we have been made to believe.

If like me you like eating little and often and it works then stick with it. If you like IF and it is working then stick with that. There is no one way and there is no right or wrong.

What is important is macro nutrient intake above all else. The times of eating the said macros is largely irrelevant, it is more important that we make better food choices over nutrient timing.

When I ate every 2 to 4 hours my skin was at its worst. My body fat % was low as well then. Eating at that frequency will keep you in an anabolic state, acne, inflammation, poor healing, and your insulin levels will be riding high, especially IGF-1 (which ironically is what you want to build big muscles), insulin resistance.
I'm still muscular though even though I am now at 2000 calories with just 3 meals a day, though people would describe me as athletic not muscle bound.

Isn't more of a case of changing what you're eating?

I am working with who i believe to be the best nutritionist i have ever come across.

When we went over my diet, it wasn't the amount i was eating or even how many times i was eating it was WHAT i was eating.

Change the fuel source for hormonal changes.
Formerly Nicky D

If you stand for nothing then you will fall for anything

#46 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

When we went over my diet, it wasn't the amount i was eating or even how many times i was eating it was WHAT i was eating.

Have to agree with this 100%. Quality over quantity

80%-20% Alkaline forming vs Acid forming Diet

`Organic~
                                                                            I don't consume:
                                                                                     *Dairy
                                                                               *Whole grains
                                                                             *Refined sugars
                                                                                 *Table salt
                                                                              *Vegetable oils
                                                                        *Processed/Fast foods
                                           *Genetically Modified Foods (GMOs)
                                                                      As well as the pesticides/herbicides that come with them

My philosophy: Less externally, more internally

Even taking long hot showers in chemically treated tap water is too harsh for acne prone skin

(And that's without a face wash)

This site is absolutely loaded with info on curing acne internally

#47 Rubbish

Rubbish

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

Actually it's both.

By changing the type of food you eat you can also reduce IGF-1 and become insulin sensitive.
http://www.thiele.fp...ta/acnehome.htm

By intermittent fasting you can decrease inflammation, increase healing and become insulin sensitive as well. So that can work as well.
Three meals only a day, no snacking, no alcohol (since 3 years ago), no red meat, no refined sugars (I count honey and fruit juices are refined), no added oils or fats. 2000 Calories a day. Tend to eat all kinds of fish (oily as well) and birds like chicken or turkey, no lamb or pork or beef. Shave every day with single blade razor in morning shower (skin wet for 5 minutes) using shave gel from an aerosol can, wash face with cleanser once after then rinse. Rest of day, just use water only (when needed, at gym for instance). 99% clear. Skin condition very good, can wear clothes without ruining them, used to ruin them when I used to use BP.

#48 o Havoc o

o Havoc o

Havoc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

Actually it's both.

By changing the type of food you eat you can also reduce IGF-1 and become insulin sensitive.
http://www.thiele.fp...ta/acnehome.htm

By intermittent fasting you can decrease inflammation, increase healing and become insulin sensitive as well. So that can work as well.

It's a fascinating subject.

I believe there is room for both IF and the standard eating little and often.

I will say just do what works for you. Me personally i like eating little and often, every 3 hours or so and i am perfectly healthy according to my last medial. I will concede that eating every 3 hours can be a pain. Making sure i have access to the right foods normally means taking a bag everywhere i go with a protein shake, some nuts and a lunch box with good food in it.

I take 4 meals everyday to work with me. lol. I can certainly see the advantages of IF when eating in a short time window. Can definitely arrange that to when one is home and has easy access to food.
Formerly Nicky D

If you stand for nothing then you will fall for anything