5 replies to this topic

#1 ions

ions

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

Hello Members.

I have had excellent results from Minocycline so far. As mentioned I saw dramatic results after 3-4 days and I continue to see excellent results after 8 days on Minocycline.

You can see my before and after pictures in the first and last post of this thread. http://www.acne.org/...tures-included/

I wanted to ask the following:

1) How long should I continue taking Minocycline before I can stop? Currently I am taking 100 mg once per day in the morning on an empty stomach. My preference would be to use minocycline as little as possible and only re-introduce it when I see the acne coming back.

2) I take 1 Acidophilus probiotic before bed. Am I doing enough to preserve my friendly bacteria?

3) I have read that the acne bacteria can adapt eventually rendering minocycline ineffective against the treatment of acne. What has been your experience?

4) Any other tips, experiences, advice with minocycline I should be aware of.

Thank you.

#2 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hello Members.

I have had excellent results from Minocycline so far. As mentioned I saw dramatic results after 3-4 days and I continue to see excellent results after 8 days on Minocycline.

You can see my before and after pictures in the first and last post of this thread. http://www.acne.org/...tures-included/

I wanted to ask the following:

1) How long should I continue taking Minocycline before I can stop? Currently I am taking 100 mg once per day in the morning on an empty stomach. My preference would be to use minocycline as little as possible and only re-introduce it when I see the acne coming back.

2) I take 1 Acidophilus probiotic before bed. Am I doing enough to preserve my friendly bacteria?

3) I have read that the acne bacteria can adapt eventually rendering minocycline ineffective against the treatment of acne. What has been your experience?

4) Any other tips, experiences, advice with minocycline I should be aware of.

Thank you.

Your derm should have told you how long he/she intends to keep on Mino. Max is usually 4 months.

Your gut is supposed to contain around 100+ strains of bacteria and a trillion cultures. An acidophilus probiotic is not going to cut it. I would look into one that has multiple strains and many billions of cultures. I'm on Ultimate Flora Critical 50 Billion with 8 strains. Bio-Kult and Therlac are other good brands.

Yes, when I was on minocycline I became resistant to it.

Edited by Green Gables, 24 September 2012 - 12:15 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#3 ions

ions

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

Your gut is supposed to contain around 100+ strains of bacteria and a trillion cultures. An acidophilus probiotic is not going to cut it. I would look into one that has multiple strains and many billions of cultures. I'm on Ultimate Flora Critical 50 Billion with 8 strains. Bio-Kult and Therlac are other good brands.

Thank you for the advice. I will purchase a better quality probiotic.

Yes, when I was on minocycline I became resistant to it.

Hmm... that is not good. I might stop using it after two weeks of use and see what happens. My results were so rapid that I might not need it for prolonged periods. I might just re-introduce it if/when the acne starts returning.

I didn't go see a dermatologist, just my family doctor. When I asked him how long I am to take the antibiotics he said to take minocycline for a month and we will go from there.

#4 wavy

wavy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

i was on solodyn and ziana for 3 months and i got negative results :/

Accutane Log 

Start Date: 10/12/13

Month 1 - October - 80mg

Month 2 - November - 80mg

Month 3 - December - 80mg

Month 4 - January - 80mg

Month 5 - February - 80mg

Month 6 - March - 80mg

clear skin as of 6/30/14 :)

#5 ions

ions

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:50 AM

Hello Members,

I finished my 30 days of Minocycline and the results have been amazing. I wanted to get some advice on how I can maintain these fantastic results now that I have stopped Minocycline; as was strongly advised by my doctor.

I read that Cococunt Oil & Oil of Oregano have antibiotic properties? And of course garlic but I try to avoid it because of the bad breath. What do you recommend?

Do you recommend I use some kind of topical anti-biotic cream? Is there something natural I can put on my skin that is anti-biotic?

Thank you for your feedback.

#6 fragilesong

fragilesong

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:cosmetics, makeup artistry, microbiology

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Tea Tree oil is good for the skin, and you can take garlic capsules as well. Activated charcoal can help too.
Prescription:
Spironolactone 50mg, 2x/day
Doxycycline 100mg, 2xday
Retin-A Micro 0.04% nightly

OTC:
Candex, two pills 2x a day
Vitamin Shoppe Probiotic, two pills 2x/day

Regimen morning & night:
Wash with Nubian African Black Soap
Moisturize with Cerave AM in morning, Cerave cream at night
Apply Bio-Oil to noise/cheeks/chin AM before CeraVe
Apply Retin-A Micro (nightly)