Photo

Clear Skin Until I Saw Dermatologist.. Any1? Feedback Please!

dermatologist retin a tazorac differin doxycycline chemical peel

6 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymous 20

Anonymous 20

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

I could cry while writing. I had NO acne when I 1st visited A derm. I finally had a job w/ insurance (just getting out of College) and had a few dark marks I always wanted to get rid of.

The derm advised me to get on Tazorac (with NO Acne?!), and I did, not having done my research and trusting him completely. He said my skin would purge with bumps then would go away & he would know b/c he uses Tazorac. I used it for a month and nothing happened, then he said to try Retinol (let me remind u, I had NO acne). I decided to stop using the stuff (hearing it thins ur skin etc., especially since I didnt need it in the 1st place!). It took some weeks and out of no where, acne- Cystic acne started coming. I went to see him and he mentioned getting me on Accutane as a last resort etc. I'm thinking WHAT?!..do u recall that I had NO acne when we started?! ..I just don't understand why didn't he suggest a simple microderm or chemical peel even? I was clueless about these alternatives then and they were NOT suggested. I saw another derm who prescribed differin and doxy and duac and after 4 mths of differin then an additional 3mths including doxy, my skin continued to break out.

The 1st derm was seen a year ago, I have stopped the topicals & started using a facewash suggested by another derm in April 2012 (this yr). I have the worse acne scars now I have ever had and I still get several pimples a day. It has truly been a rough year and I can't help but think that I would have never been in this position if I didn't get on such harsh topicals. I was on BP 3% which helped and after being advised from several esteticians that it ages u I tried to get off bu cystic acne keeps coming, not sure what to do? My life just hasn't been the same. Living in NYC so if any1 has advice on a professional that can help black skin, please let me know. Thank u!!

#2 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

I could cry while writing. I had NO acne when I 1st visited A derm. I finally had a job w/ insurance (just getting out of College) and had a few dark marks I always wanted to get rid of.

The derm advised me to get on Tazorac (with NO Acne?!), and I did, not having done my research and trusting him completely. He said my skin would purge with bumps then would go away & he would know b/c he uses Tazorac. I used it for a month and nothing happened, then he said to try Retinol (let me remind u, I had NO acne). I decided to stop using the stuff (hearing it thins ur skin etc., especially since I didnt need it in the 1st place!). It took some weeks and out of no where, acne- Cystic acne started coming. I went to see him and he mentioned getting me on Accutane as a last resort etc. I'm thinking WHAT?!..do u recall that I had NO acne when we started?! ..I just don't understand why didn't he suggest a simple microderm or chemical peel even? I was clueless about these alternatives then and they were NOT suggested. I saw another derm who prescribed differin and doxy and duac and after 4 mths of differin then an additional 3mths including doxy, my skin continued to break out.

The 1st derm was seen a year ago, I have stopped the topicals & started using a facewash suggested by another derm in April 2012 (this yr). I have the worse acne scars now I have ever had and I still get several pimples a day. It has truly been a rough year and I can't help but think that I would have never been in this position if I didn't get on such harsh topicals. I was on BP 3% which helped and after being advised from several esteticians that it ages u I tried to get off bu cystic acne keeps coming, not sure what to do? My life just hasn't been the same. Living in NYC so if any1 has advice on a professional that can help black skin, please let me know. Thank u!!

Hi, i live in NYC as well so i sympathize with your situation. I recently went to an african american derm that deals with black skin. She has mixed reviews online and i have only been to see her once but she seems really nice. If you Private Message me i can give you here name/number as well as the name/number of my old derm who is also african american. I have been on accutane so if you have any questions about that, feel free to ask.

That first derm is an idiot for putting you on the strongest retinoid to start. Things will get better though, its just a matter of time and patience. i am still struggling with my acne almost a year and a half later after its return so i feel you on that.

Keep us posted

#3 Anonymous 20

Anonymous 20

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

Thx so much for your reply. The derm definitely doesn't need to be African American, as the 1st derm was and had good reviews. I'll definitely message you regarding accutane. Thx!

#4 fullofgrace

fullofgrace

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

i live in the UK and use Boots Dead Sea Mineral Soap from Boot which is great for acne. not sure if they sell in NY?

#5 Anonymous 20

Anonymous 20

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

i live in the UK and use Boots Dead Sea Mineral Soap from Boot which is great for acne. not sure if they sell in NY?

Thx for your feedback, I'll check it out. Is it good for cystic acne?

#6 Tony1990

Tony1990

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:25 AM

It's obvious that your body and skin doesnt like all the harsh medication and chemicals you are taking. The antibiotics probably lowered your immune system and has given you a yeast overgrowth. Dermatologist wont help you, look into something more natural.

#7 fullofgrace

fullofgrace

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

Thx for your feedback, I'll check it out. Is it good for cystic acne?

not too sure, as I have rash acne...the sulphur one might be better?

http://www.boots.com...hur-Soap_49292/

it can be drying at times, so best to use it once a week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users