probiotics probiotic

64 replies to this topic

#61 Listener

Listener

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

500 CFU's?? Holy that's a lot. I remember having diarrhea after just taking 10 billion CFU's. This stuff would kill me...

Yeah if you got diarrhoea maybe it was from inulin/FOS in your supplement.

Half the reason I went with Elixa (the other half was that it was high dosage) was that it contained NO inulin/fos/similar fibre. They always talk about inulin/FOS feeding the good bacteria and all this stuff (e.g. 'maximises the effect by 1000x!') but for me it just gives me massive bowel discomfort. And it's obvious why really: if it feeds bacteria and you have an excess of bad bacteria in your gut that are gives you problems... then supplying more food for them to ferment is just going to aggravate the condition. It's not like these oligosaccharides can selectively only feed good bacteria (although some places claim they do, i have had first hand pain/bloating that begs to differ!!).

Example: I took one which was a mix of psyllium, FOS/inulin and probiotics. I never have problems with psyllium or probiotics but that one gave me terrible pain and bloating. (bloating within a few hours and then deep abdominal pain after about 10 hours for another 12+ hours).

Not had problems with this Elixa brand and i've taken quite a few. (i'll also add that I would get diarrhoea pretty easily by, for example, drinking milk. They've actually HELPED in that regard i'd say.)

I'd be interested to see how it works for several people. I've only read 5-10 reviews of it so far and i guess it is quite new.

#62 Listener

Listener

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:04 AM

A little update: Everything's going well. The skin on my upper back and neck are now as smooth as my under-forearm. Really weird sensation to feel that. Still haven't got used to it yet.

Face is all the same tone now, aswell. Never really noticed I had varying skin colour in my face (e.g. slight bits of redness or irritated looking skin) until it went away..

:)

#63 crashoran

crashoran

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

Can you give us another update on this? This is super interesting to me. I've never seen a 3-day probiotic nuke program before.

Are you seriously saying that it returned your sebum production to normal? That's a pretty large claim.

#64 crashoran

crashoran

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

So I just tried Elixa. Gave me the worst breakout I've had all year.

Personally I think it's strange for a product to claim "The #1 probiotic in the world" and yet hasn't moved past selling on eBay.

I'm so tired of wasting all of my money on an endless stream of useless products. In this case, it actually made everything worse.
Especially after reading Listener's posts - I can't find any research that claims gut flora has anything to do with regulating sebum production (oily skin here). This is all very sketchy.

Edited by crashoran, 23 August 2014 - 07:44 AM.

#65 Listener

Listener

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

So I just tried Elixa. Gave me the worst breakout I've had all year.

Personally I think it's strange for a product to claim "The #1 probiotic in the world" and yet hasn't moved past selling on eBay.

I'm so tired of wasting all of my money on an endless stream of useless products. In this case, it actually made everything worse.
Especially after reading Listener's posts - I can't find any research that claims gut flora has anything to do with regulating sebum production (oily skin here). This is all very sketchy.

To be frank,

I'm really skeptical when people claim that product X 'broke them out the worst ever' and then proceed to claim that 'topic Y' has no relation to acne whatsoever.

You've said that this probiotic broke you out and then concluded that means gut flora has nothing to do with regulating sebum production...??

Make up your mind!!! There either is or isn't a connection! haha wink.png

For me it did the opposite. But then again, I had a gut problem also, and it cleared that up smile.png

Could be Herxheimer reaction? (dieoff?)

See what happens over the next few days now you've finished the course.

Edited by Listener, 26 August 2014 - 09:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users