57 replies to this topic

#21 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:42 AM

My acne was moderate. If you can make home made kefir preferably goat milk it will give u glowing skin after few weeks. Any fermentation contains alcohol and I don't recommend it drinking long term. Later I started juicing vegetables carrot, cucumber, celery, dandelion greens, powdered wheat grass which kept my skin clear.

#22 rentedname

rentedname

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

Hey guys, here's an update.

after about a month of probiotics (vsl 3 1/3rd satchet), i decided to stop taking them and see what happened. it's been about 2 weeks now and the result is that my moderate/severe acne turned into mild/moderate. i still get acne, but its not deep under the skin. i think the amount or type of probiotic that i was taking just wasn't the right balance for my own personal gut flora.

i still have digestive issues and acne so the problem is not yet resolved. i guess this means i have to try other probiotics and figure out the right blend for me personally.

#23 Danny lingo

Danny lingo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

Does the probiotic make you continuously break out severe? Or just at first?

#24 rentedname

rentedname

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:06 AM

i experienced an initial breakout period of about 3-4 days, which tapers down a lot. then during continuous usage i was getting about one to four new deeply inflamed pimples every week. right now i hardly get any. i think the initial breakout should only last a few days at most. if you sense that something is wrong after a week, then it probably isn't going to get any better.

#25 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

I think the key is adding the probiotics super slowly. Which is one thing that is impossible to do with those pills that contain billions of organisms.

Last year, I attempted water kefir. I started with a glass, and had a terrible reaction. Very, very bad breakouts. I stopped, thinking it wasn't good for me.

Now that I'm back on the gut healing/gut flora mission, I tried water kefir again. This time, I began with one spoonful. I did one spoonful a day for a week. Then I did two spoonfuls a day for half a week. Then I tried three spoonfuls for a couple days. All of that time I saw minimal negative side effects, so I drank a whole glass. No breakouts! In fact, drinking the whole glass seemed to make the old leftover breakouts heal faster.

I now believe that I simply introduced it far too quickly the first time.

#26 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

Last time I took probiotics I broke out and blamed it on the probiotics.

But I've been taking them again for the past week, because I was prescribed antibiotics. They haven't broken me out at all. Either I was wrong last time, or something in me changed to accept them, or they died and I'm just swallowing useless capsules.

#27 Danny lingo

Danny lingo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

Rentedname, how much Cfus a day did you start with? I just started power dophilus yesturday and have been taking half capsules (approx. 2 billion cfu). I hear that people that get severe reactions are the people that are having a stronger die off reaction due to dosage and tolerance varied from person to person. I think that if you started with even less then what you have started with you might kick up the die just slower then before. I used to not believe in die off either but I'm starting to see more people going for the risk and many of them are coming back saying that they have defeated acne after the (battle). People usually get scared when they get a reaction and don't give the probiotics more then a couple of weeks, but what If a couple of weeks of the beneficial bacteria isn't enough to irradicate the imbalance. You might need to keep it up longer then most people. I'll try ramping up little by little and let you know how my experience goes so you can get a bit of encouragement :)

Edited by Danny lingo, 14 October 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#28 numbaunstunna

numbaunstunna

Natural Healing

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I like to read books and go on long walks with my sweetheart wife. I love nature and go hiking a lot. Enjoy the scenery in Arizona!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Probiotics might break you out initially as you are introducing new bacteria into your gut but when your body readjusts, it should go away. I think we should stay away from processed foods which will make it unnecessary to take probiotics.

#29 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

I was really wrong about all of this with my initial theories. It's been since October that I've been trying this and so far the severe cystic acne has remained constant. Probiotics did nothing to heal this--if anything I'm pretty sure they made it worse. I don't know if they did anything to heal my gut. I'm now slowly removing probiotic foods/supplements from my diet to see if it helps at all.

I just wanted to post this here because I'd hate for people to suffer long and hard like I did and have it not get any better. My body never "adjusted" to anything.

#30 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

I'm also a person who breaks out from probiotics but I think I've found out why. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. If you have this going on adding probiotics is only going to make the situation worse. You may have gut problems but you have to deal with this first. I actually gave myself small intestinal bacterial overgrowth from consuming way too much probiotics and having low stomach acid. Definitely something to look into. I've been having great success by taking natural antibiotics like olive leaf, apple cider vinegar, oil of oregano, coconut oil etc. and staying away from all sugar, all fruit and low gi. No more probiotics or probiotic yogurt. If I eat something with sugar or starch my face flares up again. 

#31 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

I'm also a person who breaks out from probiotics but I think I've found out why. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. If you have this going on adding probiotics is only going to make the situation worse. You may have gut problems but you have to deal with this first. I actually gave myself small intestinal bacterial overgrowth from consuming way too much probiotics and having low stomach acid. Definitely something to look into. I've been having great success by taking natural antibiotics like olive leaf, apple cider vinegar, oil of oregano, coconut oil etc. and staying away from all sugar, all fruit and low gi. No more probiotics or probiotic yogurt. If I eat something with sugar or starch my face flares up again. 

How did you know that you have this? I suspect I may have done the same thing to myself because I also suffer from a lot of nausea and other stomach problems that I didn't have before. :( Ugh! I thought probiotics were supposed to protect you from this!

#32 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

I never felt that probiotics helped me very much. I have some of the symptoms of SIBO and also candida overgrowth as well as sinusitis. When I was on probiotics I had a very short period where I thought it was doing good, but then a really long period of feeling very ill. I felt ill enough that I eventually stopped.

In contrast, when I am on herbal antiFUNGALS (such as Pau D'Arco, peppermint oil, oregano oil--they also have some antibacterial effects), I have a short period of bad (gas, bloating) followed by a long period of feeling good.

I recently started taking double enteric coated peppermint oil again (Heather's Tummy Tamers) because I've had a sort of malaise going on. I had 3 days of awful awful gas but since then have felt much better, my digestion has improved, and my airway feels clearer. I may have a SIBO/Candida/Sinusitis issue but currently I don't really have the finances or motivation to go get tested. But I do know that I feel better on antifungals, so go figure. 

Edited by Green Gables, 23 February 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#33 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

How long do you take the oregano oil for?

#34 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

How long do you take the oregano oil for?

Personally...I think the longest I took oregano oil was a couple of months. The Candida diet website seems to recommend it for as long as necessary.

A lot of people use the pure oil, but personally I would go for the enteric coated capsules from NOW (only brand I could find that makes enteric oregano capsules) because with the enteric coating it will actually make it to the small intestine. 

#35 Pianina

Pianina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Teaching piano, singing, programming, web-design, photography, nutrition

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

I had some mild initial breakout probably because I went on such a high dose directly, but it all cleared up nicely. Glad I didn't freak out and quit it, because now my digestion is so much better than before - I can basically eat anything and experience very little bloating. I still feel gassy and bloated in the evenings but at least I don't have to think about my stomach during the lectures or run to the toilet right after eating meal. I'm still avoiding dairy, but I have been eating some gluten products and definitely more sugar and sweets than usual but despite that my stomach is calm now...Not to mention that my skin has improved significantly as well!!

#36 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

How did you know that you have this? I suspect I may have done the same thing to myself because I also suffer from a lot of nausea and other stomach problems that I didn't have before. sad.png Ugh! I thought probiotics were supposed to protect you from this!

I'm just making an educated guess.. there is a medical test for it though, it is a hydrogen breath test much like getting tested for lactose intolerance. I would cut all sugars even natural sugars and start on antibacterial/antifungals and see how you do. It's making a huge difference for me! 

This article on probiotics is really interesting: http://www.healingna.../probiotic1.php

To Green Gables: You probably do well on antifungals because they are also antibacterials.. so they clear out all of the fungus but also kill the bad bacteria. Glad to hear they help someone else as well. 

#37 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

How did you know that you have this? I suspect I may have done the same thing to myself because I also suffer from a lot of nausea and other stomach problems that I didn't have before. sad.png Ugh! I thought probiotics were supposed to protect you from this!

I'm just making an educated guess.. there is a medical test for it though, it is a hydrogen breath test much like getting tested for lactose intolerance. I would cut all sugars even natural sugars and start on antibacterial/antifungals and see how you do. It's making a huge difference for me! 

This article on probiotics is really interesting: http://www.healingna.../probiotic1.php

To Green Gables: You probably do well on antifungals because they are also antibacterials.. so they clear out all of the fungus but also kill the bad bacteria. Glad to hear they help someone else as well. 

Already tried it. :( It just led to me worsening my eating disorder and no improvement in acne. I still try not to eat massive amounts of sugar but I'm not going to avoid entire food groups when there is no change to my face.

#38 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

I break out from probiotics. I wish i knew why. I am unsure of the whole leaky gut thing, but too much intestinal bacteria does make sense to me.

Does anyone know if your "symptoms" can give an indication of "where" you have too much gut bacteria?

The reason i ask is that i have always been prone to "Gas" problems such as bloating, belching, farting/trooping etc and i appear to have worked out some connection. Ie belching and bloating seem to be from upper intestinal bacteria and more related to excessive starch consumption, maybe legumes and also dry insoluble fibre such as oats etc.  

Whereas farting seems to be lower intestinal and from eating vegetables and salad such as carrots, beats, fibrous skins, cruciferous stuff, whole grains etc.

I find bloating physically uncomfortable but i am not bothered by farting apart from the social problems etc.

It seems i am disposed to one or the other for some reason. For a while i didn't fart much but had problems with bloating but for the last few months i have been farting badly whenever i eat anything healthy like Vegetables or salad etc and i'm talking serious wmds.

Also anifungals and antibacterials break me out in a similar fashion to probiotics.

Be interesting to know if farting is a good or bad sign of gut health and whether or not the "right" gut bacteria should lead to farting or not etc.

Also is it a case have having to much of a good thing.

Anyway this article may be related somehow to the whole probiotics - gut bacteria thing:

http://www.nytimes.c...=general&src=me

#39 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Already tried it. sad.png It just led to me worsening my eating disorder and no improvement in acne. I still try not to eat massive amounts of sugar but I'm not going to avoid entire food groups when there is no change to my face.

Totally understandable, sorry to hear it didn't make a difference for you. I was doing some reading last night and it seems that some natural antibiotics/antifungals only target bad bacteria and yeast and leave good bacteria alone. This would be great if I didn't cause SIBO myself rom probiotics, but all of the bacteria in my small intestine are good bacteria that aren't supposed to be there. 

So things that don't touch good bacteria are: oil of oregano and grapefruit seed extract

Things that eradicate 50% of good bacteria are: peppermint oil

Things that kill all bacteria: garlic, caprylic acid, digestive enzymes, goldenseal. 

I'm just taking this information from another forum, someone did a test on these with a culture of yogurt and documented the results. It's interesting though because oil of oregano hasn't been touching my problem and only peppermint oil a little... so I'm going to be eating a lot of garlic in the next few weeks as well as taking caprylic acid thats enteric coated to reach the small intestine. I'll let you all know how it goes! 

#40 BryantMkIV

BryantMkIV

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

i take probiotics from Puritan Pride and helped me ... i use to break out alot .. now like 1 or 2 bumps every 2 weeks... the most effective thing i did was cut down my refined carbs and sugars.. examples, rice , bread, pasta, only eat them once a week , helped me out big time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users