Photo

Staying In Again Because Of Acne

acne depressed accutane

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 coco93

coco93

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

I am 19 years old and on my second month of accutane, My acne is still pretty bad. I had plans to go out tonight with my friends, but yet again did not have the confidence to because of my acne. I have suffered for 2 years now and I am really upset that I am missing out on doing all the things my friends are doing. I have tried in the past just going out to parties and shopping but I still have a bad night and end up going home early as all I can think of is how everyone is looking at my acne. I am really struggling as a 19 year old girl, who on the inside wants to have fun but cant because of acne. Has anyone else felt this way, and got any tips and how long before the accutane starts to show a real improvement?

#2 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

I am 19 years old and on my second month of accutane, My acne is still pretty bad. I had plans to go out tonight with my friends, but yet again did not have the confidence to because of my acne. I have suffered for 2 years now and I am really upset that I am missing out on doing all the things my friends are doing. I have tried in the past just going out to parties and shopping but I still have a bad night and end up going home early as all I can think of is how everyone is looking at my acne. I am really struggling as a 19 year old girl, who on the inside wants to have fun but cant because of acne. Has anyone else felt this way, and got any tips and how long before the accutane starts to show a real improvement?

We have ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL felt this way. I have feeling this way for the past few days after having a great month. Its a horrible horrible feeling. If your going to stay in and not go out, do something relaxing and dont stress. Listen to music, watch a movie, do something you enjoy. At least be "happy" by staying in and not going out. You are still young. Have faith that you will clear up. You are on the right drug with Accutane. Good luck girl.

#3 JPS

JPS

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

I have been in your situation. I'm a senior in college and developed cystic acne when I was a Junior in High School. I tried every treatment out here and went to a dermatologist who put me on doxycycline. I still the occasional breakout, but I have many inflammatory marks left and ice-pick scars even though I never picked at my face. Well...that's life for you.

Long story short. I don't really have much to show for my life at this point. No experiences. Not many relationships. Not much of anything, I resisted making any contact with the world. I formed no relationships with women for the obvious reasons, thinking who could like a person like me. The few friends I do have, I barely hung out with them because I always felt embarrassed about myself. I was a good student in high school, but my self-esteem (and my grades) plummeted and continued to plummet in college.

My point is that as a look back, my approach to the situation didn't help me at all. Isolating myself from friends and the world hasn't made me any happier. Acne took away some happiness at first, but my response to it exacerbated my negativity about myself and the world. I always told myself that once my skin cleared up, I would be a different person and go out an experience that world. Well, my skin still isn't clear, and I'm tired of waiting. I have realized life is too short to wait around for life to hand something to you on a silver platter. Am I going to spend the rest of my life in isolation? Sometimes, even though it may be painful, you have to let go of your insecurities and live your life.

#4 masterwong888

masterwong888

Oxytetracycline + Differin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 34
About Me

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

Yuh, everyone feels the same, confidence gets a little low if your not feeling or looking your best. However, getting out of your comfort zone is always great, mainly to keep depression and bad thoughts at bay. Being with your friends is a good way to forget about your acne, when people are having a great time they tend not to notice. So next time you get called out, just say yes. I wish you all the best with getting clear. Good luck and enjoy yourself :)

#5 adhpn7

adhpn7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

I feel the same way :( I actually didn't go to class today because of a break out. It sucks because with acne, it feel almost impossible to have a normal social life when one's so self concious... It will get better though =/

#6 PaulH85

PaulH85

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

I really sympathise here. I know it's easy for me to just write this and I also know it isn't easy to block those insecurities and be comfortable in your skin, but it's vital to battle through and enjoy spending time with your friends regardless of what's going on with your skin. If they're true friends, they won't care and they'll be there for you. If you push those friends away, albeit inadvertently, and you drop off the radar, you lose touch with people and it can become incredibly difficult to get those people and the confidence they bring back. Believe me, I'm talking from experience, unfortunately.

#7 happykitty

happykitty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hey, I don't know you, but I know that you are beautiful! And definitely that your friends miss you and want to hang out with you! Acne is such a difficult struggle - I can't speak for accutane but I know that even on the Regiman it took me about 2 months to get clear. It's a stressful thing, but like everyone said, isolating yourself will only make you sadder. Your friends don't care about your skin; they like you for who you are. If you have a hard time believing that, try to imagine if one of your best friends had bad acne. Would that make you like him/her less? No way!

You got this!

#8 Nyla

Nyla

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

we've all got your back here on the forum! i have felt the way you did countlesssss times. but it does get better, even for a little while.. keep your head up! Posted Image