benzoyl peroxide brasivol duac tetralysal

5 replies to this topic

#1 cherri928

cherri928

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

So, I'm a 15 old girl and I've had acne for quite a while now but recently it's started to really depress me and I think it has gotten quite a lot worse.

It started when I was about 11, but I only would get a few spots- barely anything and it didn't bother me. I don't know where it got to the point where it stopped being a few spots and started being acne. I wish I'd paid more attention and tackled it early on but oh well. I used to get acne on my forehead but that's cleared up now which is good. I also used to have it more consistently on my chin but now that's cleared up, however at the moment I have two horrible breakouts on either side of my chin Posted Image My right cheek has a little bit, but it's not that bad. It's my left cheek that's the problem- it's awful and it really upsets me.

I've tried so many different products and I've had stuff work a bit but never completely. I used zineryt and brasivol, prescribed by my doctor, a while back and that started to work but not totally. I kind of gave up and tried other products. In like March I tried just zineryt on its own again and it didn't really seem to do anything.

Last Sunday I was so depressed about my acne I got some over the counter benzoyl peroxide- quinoderm cream. I used A LOT too fast and it really dried out my skin and was so painful I couldn't sleep one night. I went to the doctor yesterday and she just upset me more, saying it's starting to scar, but she prescribed me some brasivol, some duac 5% once daily benzoyl peroxide gel and tetralysal pills. She also says I can get referred to a dermatologist who may be able to put me on accutane, although I'm wondering if that's the best option for me.

Here's some pictures of my acne. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about my acne- like how severe it is, whether accutane would be necessary ectera.

Also, has anyone here used these tetralysal pills? Did they work?

Thanks Posted Image

(Gotten rid of the pictures just because I worry someone I know might stumble upon them.)

Edited by cherri928, 24 September 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#2 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

It's severe.

Have any of your derms talked to you about hormonal treatment? That works better for most women than Accutane. You'll see a lot of people on here who go on Accutane, are clear for a few months, and then it comes right back. Accutane doesn't stop wacky hormones from creating acne, it just temporarily stops your oil production.

My acne was a bit worse than yours and the only thing that worked for me was hormonal treatment via spironolactone. Other women get clear on the right birth control. (Only some birth controls help acne. Some actually make it worse.)

Edited by Green Gables, 22 September 2012 - 10:13 AM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#3 cherri928

cherri928

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

Sucks that it's severe. :(

I really want to go on the pill will that work? Like that is what you're talking about right? My mum isn't so sure but I've researched it a lot and I plan on going on it for contraception anyway. I should just prescribed one that helps acne right?

#4 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Sucks that it's severe. Posted Image

I really want to go on the pill will that work? Like that is what you're talking about right? My mum isn't so sure but I've researched it a lot and I plan on going on it for contraception anyway. I should just prescribed one that helps acne right?

I would highly recommend Dianette (also known as Diane-35). It's a contraception that's created for acne sufferers.

Other brands that could be helpful are Orthocept and Yaz/Yasmin.

Do NOT go on the mini-pill, a progesterone-only contraceptive, or any brand that has a "Lo" next to it, like Ortho-Tri-Cyclen Lo. These will make acne worse.

Edited by Green Gables, 22 September 2012 - 04:01 PM.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

#5 cherri928

cherri928

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Soo helpful, thank you! Just need to convince my mum- she's really against me having contraceptive pills. Tbh though my acne is looking a little better :)

#6 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Soo helpful, thank you! Just need to convince my mum- she's really against me having contraceptive pills. Tbh though my acne is looking a little better Posted Image

My mom was too when I was a teenager. But if I had started birth control I wouldn't have had acne all those years. For women sometimes it's the only way.

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users