Photo

What Helps Your Extremely Oily Skin? Sensible Answers Only.

oily skin treatment cure oily skin

144 replies to this topic

#61 jeremy123

jeremy123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

Hi, been to the dermatologist my whole life. I've had extremely oily skin ever since I was 11. It has given me many problems with really bad acne. I'm a guy. and used to wear makeup to cover up all the acne scars. now i don't wear makeup. my skin is still oily but under control. I use clean and clear oil absorbing cream to keep the oil in control everytime i take a shower and make sure i get really deep with my fingers to get all the oil out. For my body i use the regular softsoap body wash (blue one) with one of those shower scrubbies. When the scrubbies don't feel like they're working that well grab a new one. I don't take a shower every day so that i don't build a tolerance to the clean and clear oil absorbing cleanser. i rinse my face off every 4 hours to get the excess oil out and let it air dry. once the water has dried i take my hands with every clean spot to get the layer of oil off that is left behind after it dries. at night i use clean and clear essentials deep cleaning astringent. (pink one with salilyic acid) I do that with a cotton ball to get all the dirt and oil off my face. Then when done i rinse my face off and let it air dry. This is so the clean and clear doesnt clog your pores when it dries. This also clears up acne scarring after a period of time. Once in awhile i'll get the blackheads or whiteheads out by popping them. I've also started eating fruit and maple oatmeals from mcdonalds and notice that i can wash my face farther times apart. And rinse your face off after every meal if it is oil based or greasy. If you stick to this method every day for people with extremely oily skin you can finally feel comfortable with yourself again.

Edited by jeremy123, 23 May 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#62 abduliii

abduliii

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

ill be very honest with you, the less products you use on your face, the less stress you will have. I got rid of every products I had, except for a simple facial cleanser for sensitive skin (cetaphil) I ONLY use that,  very gently making sure not to cause irritation. I have noticed the more irritated my skin feels, the more acne I will get in that area.. Washing your face gently will help control the oil on your face as excess washing will produce more oil.

#63 Seeking2012

Seeking2012

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Hello.

This thread is for people, like me, who have extremely oily skin. I mean extremely oily as in 15-30 minutes after you've washed your face, you can see the oil oozing out and you notice a visible shine.

I want to know what helps your skin. Post any solutions or treatments that you've tried and which have worked to effectively control and/or reduce your oily skin SIGNIFICANTLY.

In order of importance:

1. Changing my diet from high-carb (300+ grams carbohydrates daily) to under 100 grams carbs per day reduced my acne from 1-2 new zits per day down to 1-2 new zits per week.

2. Using a moisturizer every day after washing my face caused my face to produce less of its own oil.

3. Cleansing my face with a more mild cleanser stripped less of the oil off my face and therefore my face produced less of its own oil.

Hope that helps.

- I have insulin resistance and high DHEA-S as indicated on my fasting insulin test and DHEA-S test.

- Acne clears up almost completely when low carbing.

- Quit Retin-A 0.05% and experienced no changes.

#64 vincevega

vincevega

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

Thank you. Luckily, I don't suffer from acne, besides oily skin and blackheads. I've tried using moisturizers, but my skin is so oily that the combination of moisturizer + oil make my pores clog and makes my skin break out. I don't cleanse because I have the most sensitive skin in the world and every cleanser I have tried felt like pouring napalm on my skin. 

#65 Lindsey4546

Lindsey4546

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

For me, washing my face in less than ten seconds. It seems that the more I wash my skin the oilier it gets...

Really? How would you explain THAT?? Does your car get dirtier, the more you wash it? Does your house or apartment get dirtier, the more you wash it? I personally did an experiment with Sebutape Skin Indicators which I used as the way to measure sebum on my skin; as expected, I got the results that any reasonable person would expect: the more I washed my skin, the drier it got. I think you're just fooling yourself when you think that your skin supposedly got OILY when you washed it more often.

Bryan, excelicious is exactly right. This happens to me when i over-dry my face. Overwashing your face strips the natural oils away, and in many people with oily or combination skin the sebaceous glands to kick in to overdrive and produce more oil to compensate for the dryness caused by overwashing. This is a common occurrence with oily skin. I agree with excelicious that you need to use a gentle cleanser and wash for less than ten seconds.

#66 gracefaceee

gracefaceee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

gentle cleansers and hydrating the skin.

and patience with that.

#67 Realme2008

Realme2008

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

I recently got so fed up with my oily skin, and started looking for supplements that would help. I found that B5, and Vitamin A have been shown to help with slowing down oil production. So I've been taking those supplements, and trying to drink more water to flush out my system.Also found a really gentle cleanser that doesn't irritate my skin at all and actually makes it feel hydrated. So far I feel like the oil production has decreased dramatically to about 65%-70% percent less oil. 

Edited by Realme2008, 22 August 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#68 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:44 AM

I recently got so fed up with my oily skin, and started looking for supplements that would help. I found that B5, and Vitamin A have been shown to help with slowing down oil production. So I've been taking those supplements, and trying to drink more water to flush out my system.Also found a really gentle cleanser that doesn't irritate my skin at all and actually makes it feel hydrated. So far I feel like the oil production has decreased dramatically to about 65%-70% percent less oil. 

Yes, B5 and A will reduce oily skin. But usually the dosage of either needed to do this is dangerously high and comes with a risk of hair loss, kidney and liver damage, and adrenal system fatigue. Be careful.

People never cease to amaze me. Some with their brilliance, others with their ignorance. eusa_think.gif

Here's A Few Acne.org Threads Of Mine You May Find Useful/Interesting (updated 7/25/13)

-- DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Toner http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/324606-flakydryoily-skin-try-this/

-- How to Ice Inflammed or Picked at Cysts http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/327532-acne-redness-removal-trick/

-- Milk of Magnesia Uses http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/329385-ways-to-use-milk-of-magnesia-for-oily-skin/

Other Threads Worth Looking At

-- Oily Skin Research Thread: This shows some of our previous efforts and explains the mechanisms behind oily skin.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/326345-oily-skin-research/

-- My failed but enlightening experiment going the "less is more" route, aka "The Caveman Routine"

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/327898-a-minimalist-approach-for-oily-skin/

#69 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:17 AM

Yes, B5 and A will reduce oily skin. But usually the dosage of either needed to do this is dangerously high and comes with a risk of hair loss, kidney and liver damage, and adrenal system fatigue. Be careful.

Change the vitamin A to beta carotene and increase ur zinc intake if possible from natural sources.

#70 pr1nc355

pr1nc355

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'm thinking of trying the beta carotene, what dose should I start with? Thank you. X

Change the vitamin A to beta carotene and increase ur zinc intake if possible from natural sources.

#71 hollis

hollis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

BTW I forget to mention in my previous post that some of the acne.org products received TOP ratings on beautipedia, so you've come to the right place(s)!

#72 FredTheBelgian

FredTheBelgian

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Beta-carotene is useless to control oily skin because the excess will be flushed down the toilet. Plus your skin could turn orange.

Supplements For Acne & Oily Skin: Fish oil, Zinc (30 mg), Vitamin A (25000 IU), Vitamin B5 (500 mg) 25000 IU of Vitamin D (twice a month)

#73 freefood

freefood

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

Nizoral shampoo was the only thing that work for me, but i have sensitive skin so i have to stop using it.

#74 mazgan

mazgan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:18 AM

sadly, the primary contributer to oily skin is genetic , the most important one is the sensitivity of ur oil glands to hormones.

so basicly if ur unlucky to get shitty genes u'll have to work really really really hard to balance ur hormones, there is no easy fix for this.

for me personally ive noticed a dramatic change in oiliness when i was taking accutane, but it faded when i stopped taking it.

also, one simple thing that i noticed helping, is a good sleep.

#75 sua

sua

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:21 AM

mmm well i found a really good blot powder. it mattifies better than oil absorbing sheets, which, if you're really greasy like me, tends to not get the oil off completely. this powder really gets every trace of oil. its called the face shop happy face powder and comes in white or violet. use violet if you're pale skinned and it's translucent and lightweight

#76 AmandaSA

AmandaSA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I'm a YA writer and book lover.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

I just started using AcnEase about six weeks ago and have noticed a decrease in oil production. I can't give a full review yet since with severe acne it can take a few months to see the best results, but I have a lot of faith in this product. It's a natural acne medicine, which is a huge relief after all the antibiotics I've been on the past several years. Have you heard of Cassandra Bankson? She's a model/YouTube beauty guru. I first heard about AcnEase from her. She uses it and gets great results from it.

*Moderator edit, URL removed – please read the board rules*

Also, here's one of Cassandra's videos in which she talks about AcnEase (there are a lot more, too!)

I also use oil blotting sheets throughout the day.

Good luck!

#77 RobustMist

RobustMist

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned. Cutting out ALL dairy has not only cut down 90% of my oily skin, but also reduced a lot of my acne. It is tough. There are alternatives like coconut milk, almond butter, etc. I do miss cheese and ice cream the most. However, it's worth it to me in the end.

Also, been taking about 16,000 iU of Vitamin A daily. Eliminating dairy did more than the Vitamin A in my opinion.

#78 Jofo

Jofo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned. Cutting out ALL dairy has not only cut down 90% of my oily skin, but also reduced a lot of my acne. It is tough. There are alternatives like coconut milk, almond butter, etc. I do miss cheese and ice cream the most. However, it's worth it to me in the end.

Also, been taking about 16,000 iU of Vitamin A daily. Eliminating dairy did more than the Vitamin A in my opinion.

Nice to hear that it's working for you! Do you mind if I ask whether you are male or female? When I cut out dairy completely, I noticed a reduction in acne but not oily skin. I'm wondering if a dairy-free diet might be more effective for females as far as oily skin goes.

#79 paigems

paigems

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

Vitamin C works great for reducing the oiliness of my skin.

#80 austinakaking

austinakaking

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

wouldnt say im extreme but if id wash with a regular cleanser, id get real moist and oily in like 1 hour, one good tip is to wash with dove sensitive unscented bar. helps oil and is gentle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users