Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Going In For Surgery - Stopping Supplements?

3 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm going in for surgery on Wednesday (6 days from now), and I'll be in the hospital for a few days afterwards. I was told by a nurse to stop taking all supplements a week before the surgery, but it seemed like a broad stroke.

I did some Googling and found that it was mostly blood thinners that should not be taken. I didn't find any of what I'm taking on any of the lists I found. I sent an e-mail to the doctor's assistant but they may never reply, so I thought I would ask here.

Here is what I take... let me know which ones I should stop and which ones will be ok. I'll stop taking the ones that are undecided as well, to be safe.

Zinc 30 mg (plus 300 mcg of Copper) - Once Daily

Glucomannan 1725 mg (soluble fiber) - Once Daily

Magnesium Bisglycinate 150 mg (plus 30 mg Taurine) - Once Daily

Milk Thistle 250 mg (plus 55 mg Dandelion and 27.5 mg Turmeric) - Once Daily

CandiZyme - enzyme based yeast management formula - 630 mg, once daily

Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar - several tablespoons daily

I also want to start taking organic coconut oil, just a spoonful daily.

Thank you!

EDIT: From what little I did find, Zinc, Magnesium and Milk Thistle were actually recommended to be taken before surgery... could this be true? I assume ACV and coconut oil would be ok too, right? They're really just food...

I also found that enzymes should be stopped, so I'll cut out the CandiZyme. EDIT2: Just found that Glucomannan is bad, so I'll stop that too.

Anyone? Starting to feel nervous about the procedure, I'd like to have some weight lifted by knowing Zinc, Magnesium, Milk Thistle, ACV and CO are ok.

Anyone? Starting to feel nervous about the procedure, I'd like to have some weight lifted by knowing Zinc, Magnesium, Milk Thistle, ACV and CO are ok.