Photo

Retin A And Orthro Tri Cyclen Question !

birth control ortho retinoids

2 replies to this topic

#1 livelaughlove5316

livelaughlove5316

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hi guys,

So, i have been on a topical antibiotic (Erthromycin) and a retin a (tretinoin .025) for about 7 weeks now and i have definitely seen improvements, however my face is by no means completely clear. I am learning to be patient with retin a and ive also focused alot more on my diet and noticed what things break me out and what dont. I have also noticed that the week before my period my face is the worst then during my period it has a tendency to clear up.. which is a little abnormal but when it comes to acne anything is possible lol. Anyway, I have been on Orthocyclen for about 2 years and was okay with it, i didnt really seee to o much of a difference with my skin on it and i do still get painful cystic acne when im on it. So when i went to my dr today to renew my perscriptin for the ortho cyclen i noticed she wrote one for orthro tri cyclen accidently.
Now this is where my dilemma begins. A part of me thinks maybe the orthro tri cyclen will be better for my skin, and i mean at this point i feel as though the orthocyclen really isnt doing much, however is it smart for me to change birth controls when i am finally getting into the swing of things with the retin a ? Also if i do switch do you think there will be another intial break out period since im JUST getting over the initial break out from the retin a? i guess it varies for different people but any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

#2 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

My motto has always been if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Stick to what works for you

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#3 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hi guys,

So, i have been on a topical antibiotic (Erthromycin) and a retin a (tretinoin .025) for about 7 weeks now and i have definitely seen improvements, however my face is by no means completely clear. I am learning to be patient with retin a and ive also focused alot more on my diet and noticed what things break me out and what dont. I have also noticed that the week before my period my face is the worst then during my period it has a tendency to clear up.. which is a little abnormal but when it comes to acne anything is possible lol. Anyway, I have been on Orthocyclen for about 2 years and was okay with it, i didnt really seee to o much of a difference with my skin on it and i do still get painful cystic acne when im on it. So when i went to my dr today to renew my perscriptin for the ortho cyclen i noticed she wrote one for orthro tri cyclen accidently.
Now this is where my dilemma begins. A part of me thinks maybe the orthro tri cyclen will be better for my skin, and i mean at this point i feel as though the orthocyclen really isnt doing much, however is it smart for me to change birth controls when i am finally getting into the swing of things with the retin a ? Also if i do switch do you think there will be another intial break out period since im JUST getting over the initial break out from the retin a? i guess it varies for different people but any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

There are two issues here.

OrthoCyclen contains more progesterone overall. Generally more progesterone = more acne. However, OrthoCyclen is a monophasic pill, meaning it keeps your hormones steady the whole month. Keeping your hormones level is better for acne.

OrthoTriCyclen contains less progesterone overall, which is better, but changes your hormone levels 3 times during the month, which is worse.

So both have a pro and a con.

Personally I would recommend you try a different BC altogether to clear your skin. Dianette and Yaz are marketed for acne.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users