Dry, Flakey Skin Showing With Makeup Yet Oily At The Same Time...help

combination skin dryness oily makeup

5 replies to this topic

#1 blondedancer10

blondedancer10

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing, Shopping, Watching movies, Instant Messenger, the internet, singing, writing

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

So, after having acne for around 8 years now, I can honestly say I have no idea if my skin is dry, oily or combo.

Reason being, I use moisturizer(moderately) but I always seem to be overly oily...but the reason I use moisturizer is because I use Dan's BP (and have for 6 years now) and it dries me out.
** I've actually not been using Dan's BP on my entire face for about 5 months now, just on my forehead and T-Zone is STILL dry/flakey yet shiney and oily....

So honestly, my skin looks dry as in is flakey and dried out from the BP but is also shiney/oily from I guess my natural oiliness, as well as the moisturizer. If I don't moisturize my skin, it just looks REALLY dry and flakey but with less shine....IDK I'm at a loss as to how to maintain a balance between this. How can I make my face look moisturized without being too oily and with no DRY SHINEY FLAKES?!

I've tried using a sheer blotting powder in those areas but it just makes the flakes/dryness stand out more and it looks worse :(

HELP!
Thanks in advance

#2 JenniferElizabeth

JenniferElizabeth

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

I'm using retin-a and I have the same problem and it is super annoying. I can't blend in my makeup properly because it makes the flakes worse but then as my skin gets really oily during the day my makeup looks like crap because there are still flakes and the makeup mixes with the oil and just looks weird and gross. Sometimes the makeup looks so bad that I think my skin actually looks better without it. It would be so much easier if it were just one or the other. I'm going to try tanning to even out my skin and wear a lighter coverage powder and use less so I think that will help but I guess I shouldn't be telling people to tan. I know it's bad for you and everything but whatever. I think I'll just go twice a week or something.

For now I exfoliate in the morning and try to get rid of as many flakes as possible and then gently blot with oil sheets before I leave the house and maybe throughout the day, but I try to not rub around the oil sheet so it doesn't disrupt the flakes, just push down on the oily areas.

#3 mWilso

mWilso

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:12 AM

I had a similar problem for years and years. I was always flakey between my eyebrows, nasal folds and chin crease, no matter how much lotion I used or how much I exfoliated. But on top, it was always slick and my make up would melt off. It was so frustrating because my make up always looked awful.

It turns out I had a mild case of seborrheic dermatitis! It cleared up with the use of a 2% zinc pyrithione cleanser.
I'm not saying that's what you have, but it's a possibility. Maybe you can google it and see if the symptoms are similiar?
I just wish that I would have found out about it years ago.

Good luck!

#4 PowderedPeach

PowderedPeach

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

If you had the problem with the flakiness before you started BP, I would agree with the person who mentioned using a zinc pyrithione cleanser, but it sounds like you're thinking the flakiness if being caused by the BP and looks worse with makeup. If that's the case, you may want to try using either a moisturizer or hydrating primer that contains hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid binds water to the skin and hydrates very well without using oil. If your skin's dehydrated, your skin needs water and adding oil or oil substitutes won't help.

The other possibility is that your oily skin is causing the BP to collect in certain areas and overmedicate these places. Are you having this happen around your nostrils or near your mouth? If so, you may want to be cautious when applying, and make sure to double check that product hasn't collected in any folds.

Also if you find that the flaky areas are intensified only when you're wearing makeup, you could try switching to something with lighter coverage. If there's less pigment, there's not as much that can catch on the flakes if that makes any sense.

#5 blondedancer10

blondedancer10

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing, Shopping, Watching movies, Instant Messenger, the internet, singing, writing

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

If you had the problem with the flakiness before you started BP, I would agree with the person who mentioned using a zinc pyrithione cleanser, but it sounds like you're thinking the flakiness if being caused by the BP and looks worse with makeup. If that's the case, you may want to try using either a moisturizer or hydrating primer that contains hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid binds water to the skin and hydrates very well without using oil. If your skin's dehydrated, your skin needs water and adding oil or oil substitutes won't help.

The other possibility is that your oily skin is causing the BP to collect in certain areas and overmedicate these places. Are you having this happen around your nostrils or near your mouth? If so, you may want to be cautious when applying, and make sure to double check that product hasn't collected in any folds.

Also if you find that the flaky areas are intensified only when you're wearing makeup, you could try switching to something with lighter coverage. If there's less pigment, there's not as much that can catch on the flakes if that makes any sense.

I actually have stopped using the BP for about 5 months now and I'm not using any topical on my face, just my Biore face wash. I am still seeing the same flakey, yet oily outcome so I am beginning to believe it may indeed be something else. I remember having this issue in high school as well and I was not using BP back then either... where can I get the 2% zinc face wash? any suggestions?

#6 PowderedPeach

PowderedPeach

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

I actually have stopped using the BP for about 5 months now and I'm not using any topical on my face, just my Biore face wash. I am still seeing the same flakey, yet oily outcome so I am beginning to believe it may indeed be something else. I remember having this issue in high school as well and I was not using BP back then either... where can I get the 2% zinc face wash? any suggestions?

I would call your pharmacy and see if they have it. If they don't, they can probably order it for you. Otherwise I'm sure you can get it on Amazon or at Dermstore... If you can't find it, I know that some people just use dandruff shampoo as their face wash. If you check the active ingredients, it should tell you whether or not it uses pyrithione zinc in it. If the cleanser doesn't help or is too hard to find, you can try topical anti-fungals or get a prescription from your dermatologist or primary care physician. A lot of people have this condition, and if you have insurance, it may be less expensive that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users