Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

User183994

My Accutane Journey (Pics)

63 posts in this topic

Question: is it a good idea to manually remove all the things coming out of my pores? I find it so irresistible unsure.png

Try not to think that far ahead or you'll drive yourself nuts. In my opinion, getting on a retinoid to keep pores clear is an option as accutane is not a cure for many, myself included.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end. Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Day 18:

I'm very happy to report that I haven't had any side effects other than the dry skin & lips eusa_pray.gif and today my face feels smooth! wub.png Yay!

Day 21 (end of Week 3):

Cons:

My skin is dry, my lips are dry, my eyes are dry (this is new)... I even had some blood on my lips, nothing serious though.

I counted one active whitehead on the side of my nose.

My face is a little redder than usual.

Pros:

My skin feels 10x smoother (except for my nose which still feels like sandpaper), and my pores look slightly smaller.

So happy right now!eusa_dance.gif

Day 25:

Y'all know that saying, "If something is too good to be true, it probably is"? Well that pretty much sums up how I feel right now. Either I am an extremely lucky person who didn't have to endure an IB, or this is the calm before the storm.

Seriously though, my skin feels smoother than ever, and I can go for days without washing my hair because it's so dry. And I haven't had any whiteheads for days now.

I really don't understand what is going on here. My acne was not severe but I had it for like 10 years, I honestly expected a lot worse than this.

Day 26:

I woke up today feeling very dizzy... I don't know if Accutane is to blame though. I stayed til 4 am yesterday.

Day 27:

The dizziness has gone, but now I have this odd feeling... Idk how to explain... it's like someone is applying pressure on the back of my brain.

I've googled it and the words "intracraneal hypertension" came up. Okay, now I'm scared. I don't want to be taken off the med :s

END OF MONTH 1!eusa_dance.gif

I am SO HAPPY! I've been getting compliments from relatives that my skin is looking better! And it is, I can see it and I can feel it! My face feels A LOT smoother, and most of my blackheads just.. vanished!

I have dry skin and 2 cysts right now, but oh well, who cares haha.

Go Accutane, go! Do your magic! Clear my skin!

Day 33:

The cysts I mentioned earlier haven't dissapeared yet. No new zits though, fingers crossed.

Two new things: my lips are starting to chap (before they were just dry). And I noticed i'm losing eyelashes and hair (not very badly)

Also, my ankles kinda hurt when I wake up, but the pain disappears after 10 minutes or so.

So far, benefits >>>>>>>>>> side effects.

Day 38:

Uh, not much to report... I've got some zits on my face but it's not that bad.

Hi lila, I am french so sorry for my english :)

i have exactly the same skin of yours ( clogged and enlarged pores) and I will beggin an Accutane treatment soon. I will follow your experience and I expect that it will help you with your enlarged pores. what is your posology right now?

Courage!

Hi lila, I am french so sorry for my english smile.png

i have exactly the same skin of yours ( clogged and enlarged pores) and I will beggin an Accutane treatment soon. I will follow your experience and I expect that it will help you with your enlarged pores. what is your posology right now?

Courage!

Good luck on your treatment!

I'm on 40 mg right now, I take one pill at lunch and the other at dinner.

Your pores will definitely unclog (mine have). I don't know about the shrinking, I guess they have shrunk a bit, I'm not sure.

Just remember: it gets worse before it gets better!

Day 42:

Yesterday something odd happened, my face was completely fine until around 12 pm midnight when I looked at myself on the mirror and OMG there was this HUGE bump on my forehead! It looked like a mosquito bite but 10 times bigger!

I was so freaked out, but then I thought, how come this appeared out of nowhere? And then I remembered... maybe it was my cat, I had let my cat rub against my face. Big mistake guys, never do that (or at least not while on Accutane... just to be on the safe side).

Today I woke up and the bump was gone.

thank you for your answer! Im happy to read that it will unclogged my pores. Do you still have a breakout ? Im afraid about that when i will beggin Accutane.

;)

1 person likes this

Do you still have a breakout ?

No, I don't. I think my breakout lasted for like 2 weeks.

Now I get the ocassional zit but it's nowhere near that.

1 month and 18 days:

My back is looking better I think, but my chest and shoulders look pretty much the same.

Today I felt really tired even though I slept a lot, I just didn't feel like doing anything. I fell asleep on the bus and did 0 (zero) work.

I hope this doesn't last long..

Day 50:

Okay my lips are getting drier by the minute hahaha. My eyes get very dry as well.

EDIT: also, this is actually the first time in my life that I have to use a moisturising shampoo!

I'm having trouble using the mouse for a long time, since my hand gets sore easily. But hey, I can use this as a perfect excuse to go earlier to bed! wink.png

Aside from that, nothing else.

Now to the "psychological" issues.

I have ups and downs. Ups because, believe it or not, I feel more confident about myself. Even though my skin looks redder and my lips are very cracked, I don't feel as nervous as talking to people as I did before (seriously, I used to get very nervous). So that is, for me, a HUGE improvement. It's as if I don't care about people's opinion as much as I used to.

Also, I have set myself the following goal: if all goes well and Accutane clears me up at a reasonable extent, I will get a job. (A serious job, not the one I have now.)

I've always believed that acne made me who I am today, so if I can change that, I feel like my whole life will change. I reaaaaaaaally hope this is true!

I have my downs when I feel very tired; hence, I feel sad. Not depressed though, just sad. Because I feel like a complete useless human being who is perfectly well in appareance but ... "feels tired". It sounds really stupid when I say it, because I can imagine people thinking "but erm, aren't you young to be tired?"

I don't usually tell people that I'm taking Accutane.

I'm gonna try to upload some pics soon.

6 days til end of month 2

I've got a new pimple on my chin, which doesn't bother me really.

I feel tired and unwilling to do things in general. I go to bed very late and wake up very late.

At times my face looks really red, IDK why...

Month 2 + 3 days rolleyes.gif

Everything's well so far, my lips are still cracked and my eyes get very dry.

My back is starting to look good =)

I'm a bit worried cuz I have enough pills left for two days, but I'm not seeing my derm for two weeks eusa_think.gif

Month 2 + 3 days rolleyes.gif

Everything's well so far, my lips are still cracked and my eyes get very dry.

My back is starting to look good =)

I'm a bit worried cuz I have enough pills left for two days, but I'm not seeing my derm for two weeks eusa_think.gif

Crap, you might want to call your derm and tell them you're going to be short. I feel like that's a pretty long gap to not be on the treatment.

Day 80 (2 months and 19 days)

Long time no update...

I didn't take Accutane for about a week and a half, because I ran out of pills. My derm told me not to do that ever again, so this time she gave me two prescriptions so as not to miss any pills.

My back is looking great smile.png and my chest is healing up, I can definitely tell because before I had two massive spots, and now they are flat.

My face is really smooth, but still red. Haven't got any new zits though =)

Side effects:

Lips are very dry and because I fiddle with them a lot, they bleed a lot.

Eyes are very dry. I can't last two hours staring at my computer's screen before my eyes start to beg for drops.

Hair growth has increased.

Overall tiredness and unwillingness to do stuff.

There's a new side effect:

Imagine that peoples' mood could be measured in a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being super sad and 10 being super happy.

Before taking Accutane my mood was like 8-9 ish all the time. Now it's like 5-6.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not depressed or suicidal or anything like that. It's just that I care less about things in general.

Maybe this has to do with the fact that Accutane really drains your energy, I don't know.

You might say that this is a bad thing, but I'm not sure. I don't feel nervous being around people, so I feel a lot more comfortable speaking in public, which is a VERY good thing.

I was planning to tell my derm about this, but I am afraid that she will reduce my dose or something. I really don't mind feeling like this right now, if it's worth it at the end.

Before and after pics (2 months and 19 days of difference)

All pictures were taken with the same camera and under the same lighting conditions (limited by my photography skills)

post-183994-0-47561800-1355112218_thumb.

post-183994-0-15371300-1355112241_thumb.

post-183994-0-74055300-1355112257_thumb.

post-183994-0-47561800-1355112218_thumb.

post-183994-0-15371300-1355112241_thumb.

post-183994-0-74055300-1355112257_thumb.

3 months approx.

I got conjunctivitis a few days ago, and I think I might be close to getting it again, which is odd because I hadn't had since ... well I can't remember since when!

Oh and I got sun burn on the shoulder from spending a day outside, even though a) I applied sun block, and b) I stood on the shade 90% of the time.

So now i'm indoors, despite the fact that it's scorching hot where I am and that I haven't used the swimming pool since February..

I waxed too, but I think the wax was too hot because my skin came off.. urgh..

On the plus side, I drank quite a bit last night and I'm still here hehe :)

3 months and 10 days (approx.)

• The back of my head is constantly pounding

• Usually when I wake up I get headaches that go away after moving around the house for a while

• The skin on my arms is itchy sometimes

Your pics from 12/9 clearly show progress, so congrats to you!

Thank you!

I'll post new pics soon.

4 months and 15 days in!

Everything's going well so far. I haven't had any new pimples on my face for ages, but I still have red marks and pits... I wonder when those are going to disappear?

These are my current issues:

1. My internal clock has shifted a lot. I can't sleep before 3 am and can't wake up before 11 am sad.png I feel tired very frequently
  2. I think I am eating less than before.
  3. Headaches when I wake up, they disappear after some time
  4. Some chest pains which are very annoying
  5. My mood has lowered somewhat, I am less tolerant to people in general, and stupid things piss me off like they never have lol
  6. Dry skin, dry hair, dry lips...
  7. I get red patches of skin very randomly, and they itch like crazy! Especially on my arms and back.