I've been lurking around this forum for a while now so I decided to join in and share my experience with you.
My story: i'm 21, I've had acne for 10 years.
I've been on all kinds of medications and creams and gels ... and doctors. (Actually, if you check Wikipedia's article on Acne vulgaris and scroll down to the bottom of the page, where it says "Acne-treating agents", well I've been on most of the things mentioned: Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic acid, Tetracyclines, Clindamycin...)
My first derm was absolutely reluctant to give me Accutane ("you are very young!"). She treated me with the things I mentioned before.
These things worked to a greater or lesser extent, but none of them cured me completely. I'd post pictures of me 10 years ago and now, but i'm too embarrased to do it. Maybe in the future when I look better I will
At the time I also visited my endocrinologist regularly. She gave me birth control pills, which worked a bit at first but then did absolutely nothing. I was on them for like 3-4 years. Some waste of time/money!
(I should also mention that I have problems with my period. If it weren't for the birth control pills I wouldn't have had any when I was young. Now my new endocrinologist prescribed me Thyroxine because I've got mild hypothyroidism. My period is back!)
Back to my acne: it basically consists of some cysts that come and go, many red marks, and pits.
I've also got on my chest and back, and even some on my arms.
So basically about a few months ago I changed my dermatologist. At first she was also reluctant to give me Accutane but one day she saw me and (apparently) I didn't look too well so she said "Have I ever mentioned Accutane?" and I was like "are you f****** kidding me? i've been wanting it for ages" :/
To sum it up: I've got an appointment next week and I will start treatment with Accutane!
I honestly can't wait til then! Acne has made my life so miserable!
EDIT: i'm done with the treatmeant! These were my side effects:
- Less tolerant to people
- Initial Breakout that lasted for... 2 weeks
- Dry lips, dry hair, dry eyes (needed eye drops and lip balm all the time)
- Super sensitive skin... Mosquito bites gave me bumps, scratching and tweezing produced redness, etc.
- My eyesight worsened, couldn't see very well from afar
- Red marks and scars haven't completely disappeared
- Snotty nose
- Muscles ached if I stood still for a long period of time
- My period disappeared
- The back of my head sometimes felt like it was beating, so weird
- Very bad hair loss (handful of hair gone every time I combed)
- Overall tiredness
And after the treatment:
Hypersalivationit was related to something else
- 1 year after: breakouts again!!! see last post :/
Edited by lila19, 09 February 2014 - 03:40 PM.