Photo

There Is Hope!

accutane success isotretinoin dosage advice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#21 blabla05

blabla05

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

how come you did not scar? mine acne is clearing but i have heaps of hyperpigmentations and some scars:( also were you on birthcontrol? what happened when u stopp birth control?

I did get massive amounts of hyperpigmentation, some of it faintly visible on my cheeks now a year later, but it does fade... time is the best thing for that!

I'm very lucky I have no pitting scars... I'm not sure why this is... I don't think I did anything different to anyone else, trying not to pick /pop too much, and making sure I used moisturiser every day (cetaphil was my fave)

I stopped yasmin on day 19 of accutane, I knew it was making my spots even worse (see pics!!) so I decided to stop using any hormonal birth control at all.... and I still don't...

x x

I really want to stop birth control pills, im in month 5 i have a few months to go, if i stop now will i break out

#22 everythingthatshimmers

everythingthatshimmers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

I have a similar question...My acne was controlled with Yaz for about 4 yrs then I stopped taking it last spring because I thought I had outgrown my acne (I was 29). I apparently had not and all hell broke loose. I had horrendous breakouts, started back on Yaz but still couldn't get my skin under control with topicals, antibiotics or Yaz. The body acne was really bad. So I am now on Accutane at 30. whistling.gif( My insurance does not cover birth control so I am spending a ton of money out of pocket for it each month and would love to stop taking it but I am scared my skin will flip out again. I have been on Accutane for almost 9 weeks now. Did you have any flare up of your acne when you stopped your birth control?

#23 AuguriesofInnocence

AuguriesofInnocence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

I got similar results from taking yaz and anti-DHT supplements. Id recommend people try that instead the risks are much lower than anything associated with accutane.

btw yes your skin does look good but if your acne is hormonal it will eventually come back.

Hi Guys

I just stopped back by this board and was so upset to see so many distraught topic titles.

I just want to let you know that there is hope, I understand exactly how you feel, it is AWFUL to have such bad skin...it affects everything you think and do.

This was me back in November 2011

P1010202.jpg P1010199.jpg

And this is me today

P1010960copy.jpg
P1010962copy.jpg

My course ended in April 2012, and since then the pigmentation has pretty much gone

This was my log - please do read it if you are thinking all hope is lost or are scared of taking the plunge and going for accutane. I am here to help if you have any questions.

http://www.acne.org/...306982-my-face/

Good luck everyone and keep going, please please don't give up, there is hope!!

#24 Quiescence

Quiescence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:31 AM

I got similar results from taking yaz and anti-DHT supplements. Id recommend people try that instead the risks are much lower than anything associated with accutane.

btw yes your skin does look good but if your acne is hormonal it will eventually come back.

Hi there, haha thanks for the confidence boost wacko.png

I have a similar question...My acne was controlled with Yaz for about 4 yrs then I stopped taking it last spring because I thought I had outgrown my acne (I was 29). I apparently had not and all hell broke loose. I had horrendous breakouts, started back on Yaz but still couldn't get my skin under control with topicals, antibiotics or Yaz. The body acne was really bad. So I am now on Accutane at 30. whistling.gif( My insurance does not cover birth control so I am spending a ton of money out of pocket for it each month and would love to stop taking it but I am scared my skin will flip out again. I have been on Accutane for almost 9 weeks now. Did you have any flare up of your acne when you stopped your birth control?

I really want to stop birth control pills, im in month 5 i have a few months to go, if i stop now will i break out

For me I could tell that yaz was actually making my skin worse, Birth Control is free in the UK and is of course a handy easy way to stop pregnancy, so if it wasn't making my skin worse I would have maybe continued on it throughout my accutane course and possibly beyond.  

I appreciate the risks of accutane and no one takes this on lightly, however the fact for me was that hormone pills made me worse, my body was telling me to stop putting fake hormones into my body, and therefore I stopped taking them, and have continued for 1 year post accutane without pumping any hormones into my body at all..... and have never felt better.

I believe the years spent taking cocktails of ridiculous amounts of different hormone pills, creams, antibiotics, and drugs is just as bad, if not worse for the body as a short course of this controversial drug, meaning you can leave that all behind and let your body settle into a balance once again. 

Just my opinion :)

My accutane diary: http://www.acne.org/...306982-my-face/

25 Year Old Female

125 pounds

Facewash - Sebamed Liquid Face and Body Wash

Moisturiser - Cetaphil

Lips - Lypsyl

Nose - Lucas' Pawpaw Ointment

Month 1 - 30mg/day

Month 2 - 60mg/day

Month 3 - 60mg/day

Month 4 - 60mg/day

Month 5 - 60mg/day

Done!!!

#25 everythingthatshimmers

everythingthatshimmers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

I don't really know what to think about the issue of "hormonal acne." I've heard a lot of people say that many people (especially women) have hormone imbalances/sensitivies that trigger acne and Accutane does not address these (or can even worsen these issues) and that the acne will ultimately return. On the flip side, I've heard the argument that all acne is essentially hormonal, that's why we didn't start breaking out until sometime around puberty (I was about 20, always the late bloomer, ha). I don't understand why Accutane causes complete remission for some and others have their acne return soon after stopping treatment. I also don't understand why some people have minimal side effects and some people have horrendous, long-lasting effects (assuming the medication was prescribed and taken responsibly, of course). If anyone has any solid answers, I would definitely be interested in hearing them. I think everyone has to find what is best for them and their bodies and be okay with that and we need to try to be supportive of each other. I am currently on Accutane, beginning my third month and I'll admit this drug scares the daylights out of me. I agonized over whether or not to take it and may not even finish my course but at thirty years old, I felt like I was out of options and acne was destroying my skin and my self confidence.

#26 AuguriesofInnocence

AuguriesofInnocence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

I didnt mean to souund rude. I nearly killed myself after 1 month of accutane so forgive me if I dont endorse the drug. I hope you never get any of the side effects so many of us have gotten. Enjoy your skin, however if your acne starts comeing back I hope you dont take another course of accutane. When is enough enough? Some people cant take birth control, some people dont want to. there are a lot of natural herbal supplements/diet changes/ etc which people can try.

I meant no harm. I care more about peoples health though, than perfect skin.

Hi there, haha thanks for the confidence boost wacko.png

>I have a similar question...My acne was controlled with Yaz for about 4 yrs then I stopped taking it last spring because I thought I had outgrown my acne (I was 29). I apparently had not and all hell broke loose. I had horrendous breakouts, started back on Yaz but still couldn't get my skin under control with topicals, antibiotics or Yaz. The body acne was really bad. So I am now on Accutane at 30. whistling.gif( My insurance does not cover birth control so I am spending a ton of money out of pocket for it each month and would love to stop taking it but I am scared my skin will flip out again. I have been on Accutane for almost 9 weeks now. Did you have any flare up of your acne when you stopped your birth control?

For me I could tell that yaz was actually making my skin worse, Birth Control is free in the UK and is of course a handy easy way to stop pregnancy, so if it wasn't making my skin worse I would have maybe continued on it throughout my accutane course and possibly beyond.  

I appreciate the risks of accutane and no one takes this on lightly, however the fact for me was that hormone pills made me worse, my body was telling me to stop putting fake hormones into my body, and therefore I stopped taking them, and have continued for 1 year post accutane without pumping any hormones into my body at all..... and have never felt better.

I believe the years spent taking cocktails of ridiculous amounts of different hormone pills, creams, antibiotics, and drugs is just as bad, if not worse for the body as a short course of this controversial drug, meaning you can leave that all behind and let your body settle into a balance once again. 

Just my opinion smile.png

#27 electricbetty

electricbetty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Good grief your skin now looks like it never saw so much as a blackhead in its entirely existence! Amazinnnng!

I am nearing the end of my Roaccutane course and I have a lot of red pigmentation so it's great to see how it can fade down the line... I agree with your point above about the pill making you feel like crap. I took it for five days during my course of treatment and I felt absolutely shocking - the Roaccutane has thankfully given me no adverse mood side-effects at all, but I took five microgynon pills about a month ago and I felt like I wanted to die. Thanks for posting this, congratulations on your positive experience :)

#28 Marissa Ashley

Marissa Ashley

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

your skin looks awesome! glad it worked so well for you. I am on my second month of accutane and i have a quick question for ya! my last pill of my prescription was this past monday and my dermatology app isnt til friday. If i miss 3 days of not taking it will that cause anything? and what kind of face wash and moisturizer did you use after you were off accutane?

#29 Quiescence

Quiescence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

your skin looks awesome! glad it worked so well for you. I am on my second month of accutane and i have a quick question for ya! my last pill of my prescription was this past monday and my dermatology app isnt til friday. If i miss 3 days of not taking it will that cause anything? and what kind of face wash and moisturizer did you use after you were off accutane?

Thanks Marissa! I'm sure over my course I missed a pill or two, probably not as many as 3 days, but I'm sure it won't matter at all, as long as make sure you get your calculated minimum cumulative dose in the end!!  

I continued with sebamed facewash as I find it is really gentle, great for removing make up, cheap, lastd forever, not too drying and has kept me spot free!

Moisturiser I continued with cetaphil for a while out of fear, but now can use anything probably, I like simple replenishing rich moisturiser as it's... cheap and... simple! x x

25 Year Old Female

125 pounds

Moisturiser - Cetaphil

Lips - Lypsyl

Month 1 - 30mg/day

Month 2 - 60mg/day

Month 3 - 60mg/day

Month 4 - 60mg/day

Month 5 - 60mg/day

Done!!!

#30 Marissa Ashley

Marissa Ashley

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:22 AM

Thanks Marissa! I'm sure over my course I missed a pill or two, probably not as many as 3 days, but I'm sure it won't matter at all, as long as make sure you get your calculated minimum cumulative dose in the end!!  

I continued with sebamed facewash as I find it is really gentle, great for removing make up, cheap, lastd forever, not too drying and has kept me spot free!

Moisturiser I continued with cetaphil for a while out of fear, but now can use anything probably, I like simple replenishing rich moisturiser as it's... cheap and... simple! x x

awesome! thanks so much! 

#31 Benzo

Benzo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

wow! amazing! So happy for you. I am hoping to start accutane soon after suffering with acne for 14 years. Nervous about the side effects but fighting the fear to go ahead with it!
Moderate-severe acne of 14 years.

DERMALOGICA SPECIAL CLEANSING GEL
DUAC GEL
EFFACLAR H COMPENSATING MOISTURISER

HOPING TO START ACCUTANE SOON

NO MAKE-UP JUST SPOT CONCEALING!!!

#32 Quiescence

Quiescence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

Long time since I've been on here...Hope everyone is doing well!! rolleyes.gif x x

25 Year Old Female

125 pounds

Moisturiser - Cetaphil

Lips - Lypsyl

Month 1 - 30mg/day

Month 2 - 60mg/day

Month 3 - 60mg/day

Month 4 - 60mg/day

Month 5 - 60mg/day

Done!!!

#33 acnefree77

acnefree77

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Thank you for sending hope and for showing your amazing results! I do have more hope now~!

Month 1: 10 mg

Month 2: 30 mg 

Month 3: 30 mg

Current products and supplements:

2000 mg Vit D3/ day

1 DIgestive Enzyme per meal

Ox Bile capsule per meal

B complex

For mood: Kavanace, Travacor, and Calm, all by Neuroscience. Natural supplements for anxiety and depression.

Beauty products:

Cetaphil Acne Wash

Vit E

Topical gel antibiotic (clindamycin)

Cetaphil Acne Oil Control Moisturizer

Clinique Foundation and concealer

For lips I use a goldenseal ointment with jojoba oil and beeswax and Mac Lip Glass (the one that is moisturizing and stays on long)

#34 emchang

emchang

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

its good to know that someone who has completed accutane is remaining clear! so happy for you and i hope your results last!

im looking at some other threads and many people are having relapses, and it's kinda scaring me.. 

#35 JunKim

JunKim

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

Were you playing sports at the time of your treatment? Because I tend to sweat a lot.. because I'm a sporty guy and I think that has to do something with my breakouts lately.. Im taking 30mg right now.

#36 upsummerhill

upsummerhill

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

Just wanted to tell you that your progress is amazing!! and i think this has inspired a lot of people (me inclusive). And to think you healed up so beautifully. 

And I have a question, did you have any dormant bumps that were dark/purplish in colour that seemed to take forever to heal/go away, like a bump that you could feel the head but the head started to subdue under the skin after a while without coming to head (if you get what I mean) 

#37 Quiescence

Quiescence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Just wanted to tell you that your progress is amazing!! and i think this has inspired a lot of people (me inclusive). And to think you healed up so beautifully. 

And I have a question, did you have any dormant bumps that were dark/purplish in colour that seemed to take forever to heal/go away, like a bump that you could feel the head but the head started to subdue under the skin after a while without coming to head (if you get what I mean) 

Hi there,

Oh my goodness I had so many types of bump I lost ability to describe!.. I had loads of really dark purple horrid deep feeling bumps (felt like a spot within a spot within a spot) which took weeks to even do anything let alone go away! They all eventually did! Keep going!!

25 Year Old Female

125 pounds

Moisturiser - Cetaphil

Lips - Lypsyl

Month 1 - 30mg/day

Month 2 - 60mg/day

Month 3 - 60mg/day

Month 4 - 60mg/day

Month 5 - 60mg/day

Done!!!

#38 Ducky1210

Ducky1210

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

I am new on this site and on Day 30 of Accutane. I enjoyed reading your posts and glad that it has worked for you. About day 10, mine got really bad. Red and dry and felt like it was on fire. But it has calmed now. And I do see a little difference so far but still have actives that are painful. Besides the normal dry face and lips, I am starting to have some muscle aches and pains and wonder if you experienced anything like that. I have a call in to my dermatologist but they didn't get back to me today. saywhat.gif

Also, I keep seeing "IB" on this site. What does this mean? I'm still trying to figure out how the site works in general as well!eusa_think.gif

Thanks for sharing your journey and your hope!

#39 EatsRainbows

EatsRainbows

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

I am new on this site and on Day 30 of Accutane. I enjoyed reading your posts and glad that it has worked for you. About day 10, mine got really bad. Red and dry and felt like it was on fire. But it has calmed now. And I do see a little difference so far but still have actives that are painful. Besides the normal dry face and lips, I am starting to have some muscle aches and pains and wonder if you experienced anything like that. I have a call in to my dermatologist but they didn't get back to me today. saywhat.gif

Also, I keep seeing "IB" on this site. What does this mean? I'm still trying to figure out how the site works in general as well!eusa_think.gif

IB stands for initial breakout, it's often used to talk about the initial worsening of skin that people sometimes experience soon after starting Accutane.

Good luck with it, it will be worth it in the end :)

My Roaccutane Journey

16th May-27th October 2013

15 Years Old/Female/52kg

Month 1- 20mg

Month 2- 40mg

Month 3- 40mg

Month 4- 50mg

Month 5 and 1/2- 50mg

Also see page 4 on my log for the before and after photos :)

"You can't make a rainbow without a little rain"

#40 Quiescence

Quiescence

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

Hi there, welcome to the site! I didn't get any aches or pains that I remember but I do know that a lot of people do, I hope you managed to speak to your derm about it and check that all is ok? x x

25 Year Old Female

125 pounds

Moisturiser - Cetaphil

Lips - Lypsyl

Month 1 - 30mg/day

Month 2 - 60mg/day

Month 3 - 60mg/day

Month 4 - 60mg/day

Month 5 - 60mg/day