Photo

What Type Of Scars I Have? Advice Needed

scars advice photos acne tca

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Njnightrider

Njnightrider

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hi All, im new here but ive been lurking for quite a while, im 26 yr old male, non smoker, social drinker, good diet. This site has helped me a lot enduring this situation. I must say im very thankful that my acne is completely gone, thanks to accutane( i ocassionally have some here and there but just the norm) I need help on a few things, first to help me determine what type of scarring i have, second to help me find the best way to improve the scars( im kinda leaning towards subsicion and tca peels) and third to find a good/affordable doctor in the nj/ny area, im from north jersey and i would like to stay local but would travel if necessary. I know im asking for a lot but all your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Here are some pics from different angles and using different light

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg
  • 10.jpg
  • 11.jpg
  • 12.jpg
  • 13.jpg
  • 14.jpg
  • 15.jpg

Edited by Njnightrider, 05 September 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#2 DRaGZ

DRaGZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

I see no pics.

#3 Xesro

Xesro

You are what you eat !

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

Try uploading with imageshack or tinypic. You didn't post any pictures.

#4 Njnightrider

Njnightrider

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

sorry guys i just resubmitted the post, hope it works, sorry for the poor quality of pics, it was really hard to focus on the scars

#5 DRaGZ

DRaGZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

They look like a bunch of icepick and boxcar scars.

TCA PEELS don't do much for scars. TCA CROSS does, and it's technically doable at home, but I personally would never do it to myself.

Subcision, as far as I can gather from results all over these forums, tends to have the most consistent and satisfactory results, but it really depend on the type of scarring. They don't do very much for icepicks, I'm afraid, but they work fairly well on certain boxcar scars and are pretty much the best treatment for rolling scars.

#6 Njnightrider

Njnightrider

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Oh ok.i didnt know the difference between the tca peels and cross. I heard about being done at home but like u said I would rather have a dr. do it to be safe. So icepick and boxcars, uh? what method would be best to tackle my scars? Ive also heard that subcision does not work on icepicks

#7 DRaGZ

DRaGZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Oh ok.i didnt know the difference between the tca peels and cross. I heard about being done at home but like u said I would rather have a dr. do it to be safe. So icepick and boxcars, uh? what method would be best to tackle my scars? Ive also heard that subcision does not work on icepicks

People have had the most success for scar revision, in general, using a combination of procedures.

If you look around these forums, you'll see stuff like TCA Cross + Subcision or Fractional Ablative Laser + Subcision or Dermabrasion + ReCell + Subcision. There's a lot of different modalities that can be used to treat scars, many of which don't actually overlap in recovery times and methodologies, so it can't hurt to try a few.

You may want to consult with a few cosemtic dermatologists/plastic surgeons and see what your options are. Don't go to just one, go to a few. Consultations should be free for which one. A free consultation is a sign of competition in the area as well as a confident doctor. And don't be afraid to ask for patient before/after pictures (including how much time passed between the pictures taken) as well as testimonials. Confident doctors will be willing to give you a bunch,

#8 Njnightrider

Njnightrider

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

Yes a combination of procedures is what I had in mind as well, thank you very much for the input. Last question, what are the doctors that repair scars called? Derms, plastic surgeons, or something else?

#9 *Inspired*

*Inspired*

Formerly "TokyoGirl"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

Look for a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who offers acne scar treatment as a specialty. I don't mean a doctor who just offers laser because it's the gold standard to acne scar treatment. You want someone who is specialized with a proven track record in scar treatment. One who is specialized will offer multiple modalities. At least, that's my belief based on my experience so far. Consult with as many as possible to get a better understanding on the best approach to treating your scars, and make sure you do your research so that you understand the procedures and ask the right questions during consultation. Research the doctor as well, and check board certification.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt TCA Cross on your scars because they appear wide with a base. I don't really see ice pick scars but the photos are blurry. I think there's a greater risk of aggravating wider scars when you're dropping strong acid into them. I would be looking towards subcision and fractional ablative laser. However, I am not a doctor. That's just my opinion.

#10 Njnightrider

Njnightrider

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for the insight, I guess the best approach would be to consult with different doctors.

#11 *Inspired*

*Inspired*

Formerly "TokyoGirl"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Yes, definitely consult with a few experienced doctors. Then, come back here, share your experience, and ask for feedback. There are a lot of helpful, knowledgeable people on this board, who will give you honest feedback on what you're told. Good luck!

#12 Acollegekid

Acollegekid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

Your scars look EXACTLY like mine at least the closest ive seen. I finished accutane about 3 months ago, and am hoping to be able to get some sort of laser treatment this winter. How long have you been off accutane?

#13 a.p.

a.p.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

You only have boxcar acne scarring. No ice pick scarring. Your scars are shallow.

#14 Njnightrider

Njnightrider

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

I took accutane a while back like 2 years ago. Ive just been meaning to do something about my scars and its about time. If I have mostly boxcar scarring would subcision help at all?