Photo

Anybody Have Experience With Fish Oil Alternatives? (Interesting)

fish oil omega-3 vegetarian depression

5 replies to this topic

#1 Ghost08

Ghost08

Stay Beautiful!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

Alright guys. With a little research into finding a good fish oil (my previous one worked well, but caused the most disgusting burps I've ever experienced) I found that some people often consider there to be supplements that are equal to or better than plain ole fish oil.
These alternatives include:

Krill oil (I would love to hear if anyone has tried this)

Flaxseed oil

(The following is an excerpt from a webpage)

• Algae combined with nut / seed oil - Consuming algae such as spirulina can assist the body in properly converting omega 3 fats from the oils of nuts and seeds. This is one of the most common vegetarian replacements for fish oil. Spirualina as the algae and flaxoil is the best combination although others are suitable as well.
  • Black Currant Oil - Some nutritional sales spots say that the Omega-3 fatty acids ALA and Stearidonic Acid which are present in black currant oil can improve the cardiovascular system and help maintain the hormones that can lead to some types of depression so this may be a good vegetarian replacement for fish oil. However, the FDA hasn't confirmed this.
  • Flax seed oil - This falls into the category above for seed oil combined with algae but it's good enough as a replacement to be worth mentioning on its own. Flax seed oil is also known to have other health benefits so you should learn more about this alternative.
  • Vegetarian Fish Oil Replacement Supplements - Plenty of people get their fish oil simply by going to their nutritional store or drug store and picking up the tablets of it. As a vegetarian, you can do the same things. There are vegetarian alternatives to fish oil capsules, such as Seven Seas Vegetarian Omega-3. These may not be as easy to find as fish oil capsules but if you seek, they are there.

I would love to hear from anyone who has tried these to help me pick one.

My Personal Log Detailing my adventures from "Natural to Not".

CURRENT REGIMEN:
(AM)
Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar for Acne Prone Skin, Clindamycin Phostphate Topical 1%, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 45, Equate Absolutely Beaming Daily Moisturizer, (I mix this and the sunblock together and the sunblock helps mattify the moisturizer), 1x Vitamin D3, 1x Borage Oil, 2x Burdock Root, 1x Vitamin E, 1x Vitamin A, 2x Calcium, 1x Vitamin B Complex, 1x Vitamin C.
(PM)
Ortho-Tri Cyclen Lo, Cetaphil Anti-Bacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar, Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid, Clindamycin Phosphate Topical 1%, Grapeseed Oil.

#2 tuffluck

tuffluck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Dance, art, music

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

check out chia seeds as well... I noticed they were not on the list but I think well worth a mention.

I haven't tried the chia seeds yet but I got a big bag of them in the closet. I think I am going to wait another month before I add that into my diet.

"Death approaches when you close your mind to the endless possibilities of the world"

#3 Ghost08

Ghost08

Stay Beautiful!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

check out chia seeds as well... I noticed they were not on the list but I think well worth a mention.

I haven't tried the chia seeds yet but I got a big bag of them in the closet. I think I am going to wait another month before I add that into my diet.

I bought some after looking into them, so thank you very much for the mention. I bought them in addition to some flax seeds. I read that you can eat them on just about anything, so I plan on sprinkling them into my yogurt since I have that almost daily.

When you do try them, please let me know what you think of them.

Also, what brand are your chia seeds?

CURRENT REGIMEN:
(AM)
Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar for Acne Prone Skin, Clindamycin Phostphate Topical 1%, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 45, Equate Absolutely Beaming Daily Moisturizer, (I mix this and the sunblock together and the sunblock helps mattify the moisturizer), 1x Vitamin D3, 1x Borage Oil, 2x Burdock Root, 1x Vitamin E, 1x Vitamin A, 2x Calcium, 1x Vitamin B Complex, 1x Vitamin C.
(PM)
Ortho-Tri Cyclen Lo, Cetaphil Anti-Bacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar, Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid, Clindamycin Phosphate Topical 1%, Grapeseed Oil.

#4 Bearishly

Bearishly

Food is medicine that tastes good

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

I bought some after looking into them, so thank you very much for the mention. I bought them in addition to some flax seeds. I read that you can eat them on just about anything, so I plan on sprinkling them into my yogurt since I have that almost daily.

When you do try them, please let me know what you think of them.

Also, what brand are your chia seeds?

Interesting anecdote regarding spirulina: a billionaire Middle Eastern man I happened to bump into through a colleague noticed my acne and suggested it as a supplement. He owns a supplement company that doesn't distribute in the US and suggested I take it, saying "your pimples will be gone in two weeks." I asked what the biological mechanism was, and he didn't seem too clear on it (he owns several businesses), but he did mention something about omega-3's.

I've been taking it on and off since (3g a day) and I do notice a reduction in inflammation when I take it. I've also found a study showing that it's a very effective prebiotic, so it's good for your digestion. Hadn't seen the note about it facilitating conversion of omega-3's.

#5 tuffluck

tuffluck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Dance, art, music

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

I still havent tried my chia seeds. Im kind of scared b/c fish oil in the past has made me break out. Ghost 08, have you tried them? How do you like it?

"Death approaches when you close your mind to the endless possibilities of the world"

#6 Ghost08

Ghost08

Stay Beautiful!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

I still havent tried my chia seeds. Im kind of scared b/c fish oil in the past has made me break out. Ghost 08, have you tried them? How do you like it?

I just sprinkle some in my greek yogurt and haven't noticed any problems with it. I also can't say I've seen any benefits but it's too soon to tell I think.

There are all kinds of suggestions on the internet on how to get them into your diet. I hope you try them soon, since I believe they wouldn't be too similar to Fish Oil other than the Omega-3 part.

CURRENT REGIMEN:
(AM)
(PM)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users