Photo

I Can't Take It Anymore

help acne regimen acne.org dry skin flakiness benzoyl peroxide side effects

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Skintuition

Skintuition

1 Year On The DKR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

Ok, it's pretty safe to say I have had enough. I cannot take this dry skin and flakiness anymore. I am so damn sick of it. The regimen has worked great for clearing up my skin, but this dryness is just unbearable. Let me start off by saying I don't use nearly as much benzoyl peroxide as Dan suggests. I only use 1 pump in the morning and 1 pump at night as opposed to two. I've determined that the only reason my skin is so flaky and dry is because it cannot handle this much benzoyl peroxide. I am thinking of only using 1 or 1/2 pumps at night, and not using any in the morning, just to see what happens. Problem is, I need benzoyl peroxide to keep my skin clear! I HATE THIS! I CANNOT TAKE IT ANYMORE! I really don't want any comments telling me to quit the regimen because it's not worth it, NO, I am going to stick with it, but I need to find the right balance and I am struggling a lot. I need to use just enough to keep my skin clear, but not too much to make it flake uncontrollably. It's been 5 months, things aren't going to change naturally, I have to do something. Now.

KEEP IN MIND THAT I DO HAVE LIGHT ACNE, WHITEHEADS & ZITS THAT WILL OCCUR IF NOT TREATED.

Edited by WonderfulStrawberry, 03 September 2012 - 09:28 PM.

Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.

#2 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

That's one of the reasons I stopped BP but I understand you don't want to do that - I think you should try decreasing the amount slightly or try just using it at night for a while. See how your skin handles that - if it reduces the dryness/flakiness without making you breakout again then that's great! And if not then you can go back to using BP as you are now until you figure out another option

Do you use the acne.org products and the jojoba oil? A lot of people say that really helps with dryness/flakiness though I've never used it or the acne.org brand products. Do you think a different moisturiser would be worth trying or do you think it's better to just try reducing BP slightly?

Started The Acne.org Regimen 2nd July 2013

#3 gforce89

gforce89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

Try only using a pea sized amount.

I always disagreed with Dan about the amount of BP. Theres only so much your skin can take.

#4 reyrey

reyrey

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

Well I'm surprised you stuck this long with the flakiness and did not reduce the amount of BP. I think if you're fairly clear now you should decrease the BP, only using it once a day and see how your skin takes it. I don't think they'll be an increase in breakouts, a lot of people have success decreasing their dosage of BP once their clear and staying clear. Also, I'm sure you're using the jojoba oil with your moisturizer, it's been 2 weeks and I haven't flaked, irritated, or got red yet, considering I have dry skin it's a true miracle, the jojoba is a god send, but I think using it once a night will be fine, if you don't see a difference, lower your dosage.

#5 Skintuition

Skintuition

1 Year On The DKR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

That's one of the reasons I stopped BP but I understand you don't want to do that - I think you should try decreasing the amount slightly or try just using it at night for a while. See how your skin handles that - if it reduces the dryness/flakiness without making you breakout again then that's great! And if not then you can go back to using BP as you are now until you figure out another option

Do you use the acne.org products and the jojoba oil? A lot of people say that really helps with dryness/flakiness though I've never used it or the acne.org brand products. Do you think a different moisturiser would be worth trying or do you think it's better to just try reducing BP slightly?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, just use it at night time. And yes, I use all of the acne.org products except for AHA, I use 6 drops of jojoba oil and I mix it in with the moisturizer. Without that, I think my skin would be way more dry than it is now. I am looking into different moisturizers, and I know I will definitely lower my dosage of BP, so hopefully a combination of both does me some justice. :D

Try only using a pea sized amount.

I always disagreed with Dan about the amount of BP. Theres only so much your skin can take.

I only used a pea sized amount when I first started and it cleared up all my zits, but then I started increasing it and my skin started flaking up. I'll definitely need to lower the amount of this stuff I use

Well I'm surprised you stuck this long with the flakiness and did not reduce the amount of BP. I think if you're fairly clear now you should decrease the BP, only using it once a day and see how your skin takes it. I don't think they'll be an increase in breakouts, a lot of people have success decreasing their dosage of BP once their clear and staying clear. Also, I'm sure you're using the jojoba oil with your moisturizer, it's been 2 weeks and I haven't flaked, irritated, or got red yet, considering I have dry skin it's a true miracle, the jojoba is a god send, but I think using it once a night will be fine, if you don't see a difference, lower your dosage.

Heh yeah I'm kind of surprised at how long I've gone without making some kind of change in BP. I am clear from the regimen, so I think decreasing the BP isn't gonna hurt. I remember that I got clear within a few days of using this regimen, and only using a pea sized amount, so, I'm definitely going to decrease the amount, maybe to half a pump, or just one pump at night, and I am using jojoba oil with the moisturizer.

Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy.

#6 rush25

rush25

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

Well if you say that your skin cleared only using a pea-sized amount, then why did you increase your BP so drastically? I'd definitely agree that you should decrease your BP. I only need to use a little more than a pea-sized amount of BP now and my skin is completely clear.

Have you tried the Cetaphil moisturizer yet?
be so happy with the way you are | be so happy that you made it this far

#7 Skintuition

Skintuition

1 Year On The DKR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

UPDATE:
Things aren't going well... I had a little breakout on my upper cheek and I usually never break out, I'm wondering what the hell is going on. I used a little bit less bp this morning, and I'm not sure how my skin is liking it. One thing's for sure, this has been a very emotional journey, this regimen. I try to keep a positive outlook on things, but sometimes it's hard. Really hard. I'm not going to say things are all hunky dory with my skin... But I'm not going to say it's the end of the world. I think I can attribute picking and scratching my skin to any breakouts I may get, or lack of sleep, or lack of exfoliation. My mood right now is cautious of my skin... I'm just going to keep doing what I normally do, and pray for the best.

Edited by WonderfulStrawberry, 04 September 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#8 PCDAHLKE

PCDAHLKE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

On a day you are going to be home for a while.........For the "Pain in the Butt Flakes", try using "Mederma' (cream not gel). Put it on your face and rub it in (lightly!!!!). Put alot on, and I mean alot. About 3 hours later put your face in a warm (not hot) bath. Hold your breath for as long as you can. Keep doing that until you tire yourself out. Pat your face dry. The skin will steam itself off I promise. I am not sure why the mederma works so well with this process, but it has not let me down yet. Skin needs moisture to heal properly without splitting and bleeding. There is a fine line between drying and overdrying. The damn cysts and pimples feed off the bacteria from wet, so we consistently dry out our skin. Most of the time too much. The balance is a tricky one. Remember, your are NOT alone. :)

#9 nycqueen

nycqueen

Acne Soldier

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Try AHA for flaking... I've had the same issue for a while using DKR and AHA has worked wonders with my flaky/dry skin... I have combo/sensitive skin, so most things irritate it... AHA did at first, because I had no idea how to use it.. I began to incorporate it very slowly and in tiny increments... Now, about three weeks later, I really don't flake anymore... It may happen around the folds of my nose and chin area (dry area) but it gets better each time I use AHA... Give it a try and see how it goes... It takes about two to three weeks to start really seeing the effects on flaking... Good luck and let us know how you're progressing... :)
DKR Log http://www.acne.org/...r/page__st__120
DKR Photo Gallery http://www.acne.org/...66762-nycqueen/

Skin Care Regimen

Mornings: Cleanse with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, One pump application of BP, One pump of Dan's moisturizer one drop Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunblock Liquid SPF 70
Evenings: Cleanse with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, One pump application of BP, One pump of Dan's moisturizer and two drops of Dan's AHA+
During Breakouts: Apply 2 pumps of BP and Moisturizer with AHA+ until breakout subsides
Daily: Take multivitamin (WholeFoods 365 brand), probiotics
Makeup: Bare Minerals, wash brushes once to three times a week depending on usage.
Makeup Removal: Swipe jojoba oil to remove eye and facial makeup, wash with Hydrating Cleanser for 4 seconds, rinse, then cleanse for 6 seconds, BP, moisturize

#10 maybemonday

maybemonday

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

I second what nycqueen said! AHA really is effective. I purged a bit initially (which was upsetting after finally being clear after 3 months of the regimen!) but it was just the last of the blocked pores that the BP couldn't take care of surfacing. My skin is so smooth now, the marks are fading and best of all the flaking has greatly reduced!! I start to flake later on in the day now, in the evening, but its mostly my makeup cracking when I laugh ahah anyway give it a go! Best of luck :)

I started the regimen in July 2012- I'm 98% clear on the regimen as of April 2013, and I reduced my dosage to 2 pumps once a day in September 2013 with no problems. I'm working on evening out my skin tone and at the moment I'm using Re-Gen Cream and Clinique Face Cream SPF 40 :)

#11 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

Keep on the regimen or don't, up to you. But thought I'd throw this out there: many derms recommend a sulfur/sulfacetamide wash for people whose skin cannot handle BP. Sulfur/sulfacetamide has sulfur to clear the pores and sulfacetamide to kill the bacteria. Sulfacetamide also reduces redness which is a plus. I found it more effective than BP and gentler on my skin. It is prescription only, but it's a common RX so you shouldn't have trouble getting it.

Goes under the brand name Plexion, Clenia, or Novacet. There are generics available to make it cheaper.

Edited by Green Gables, 05 September 2012 - 12:10 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#12 Skintuition

Skintuition

1 Year On The DKR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

Try AHA for flaking... I've had the same issue for a while using DKR and AHA has worked wonders with my flaky/dry skin... I have combo/sensitive skin, so most things irritate it... AHA did at first, because I had no idea how to use it.. I began to incorporate it very slowly and in tiny increments... Now, about three weeks later, I really don't flake anymore... It may happen around the folds of my nose and chin area (dry area) but it gets better each time I use AHA... Give it a try and see how it goes... It takes about two to three weeks to start really seeing the effects on flaking... Good luck and let us know how you're progressing... Posted Image

Thanks, my skin is pretty sensitive, plus the regimen is really time consuming, so it's hard to incorporate new products. I actually had some AHA but I threw it out because I never used it, and didn't plan to. I'm just worried about all the chemicals and the sun, I go out in the sun a lot and I don't have the best sunscreen. Maybe in the winter I'll look into AHA, but thanks :)

Keep on the regimen or don't, up to you. But thought I'd throw this out there: many derms recommend a sulfur/sulfacetamide wash for people whose skin cannot handle BP. Sulfur/sulfacetamide has sulfur to clear the pores and sulfacetamide to kill the bacteria. Sulfacetamide also reduces redness which is a plus. I found it more effective than BP and gentler on my skin. It is prescription only, but it's a common RX so you shouldn't have trouble getting it.

Goes under the brand name Plexion, Clenia, or Novacet. There are generics available to make it cheaper.

Doctors actually told me BP was gonna be good for my skin, so I think I'll jus stick to BP but thanks for the suggestion. if i get desperate ill check it out

#13 rush25

rush25

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

Well if you decide to try the AHA+ again, you could try applying it only at night. I've been using Dan's AHA+ for a few years now and it's made a huge difference in my skin. It's made my skin so soft and smooth.

#14 Skintuition

Skintuition

1 Year On The DKR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

Well if you decide to try the AHA+ again, you could try applying it only at night. I've been using Dan's AHA+ for a few years now and it's made a huge difference in my skin. It's made my skin so soft and smooth.

thats good. I'm just worried about 1. the hassle of applying yet another product to my skin 2. the danger of the sun and 4. potential irritation or damage to my skin. I will admit to being fearful to try new things with my skin, I'm not a risk taker when it comes to this, even going on this regimen was a huge step for me.

#15 rush25

rush25

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

thats good. I'm just worried about 1. the hassle of applying yet another product to my skin 2. the danger of the sun and 4. potential irritation or damage to my skin. I will admit to being fearful to try new things with my skin, I'm not a risk taker when it comes to this, even going on this regimen was a huge step for me.

I don't find the AHA+ to be a hassle at all because it absorbs so quickly. It takes me literally less than 30 seconds to apply the AHA+ each night. I don't use AHA+ during the day because it's too moisturizing for me to wear under makeup; additionally, if you only apply it at night, you don't have to worry much about the sun sensitivity issue.

I completely understand being hesitant to try new products; I used to be the same way. Several years ago I tried Bare Minerals and I had the most horrible reaction to the foundation. My skin was broken out, scabbed, and irritated. But as soon as I stopped using it, my skin returned to normal. Strangely enough, that experience really helped me get over my reluctance to try new products because I know that regardless of what new things I try, I can always return to the regimen that works perfectly for me to keep my skin healthy and clear. You might be missing out on some great products that meet your needs better than the products you're using, and you'll never know unless you try them! I'd suggest trying some of the other moisturizers that Dan recommends, all of which are available at the drugstore.

#16 CharlotteSumxs

CharlotteSumxs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

I was flaking and itching and going nuts with my sensitive combination skin and the bp. So I went two days without it and started again, from half a pea sized amount. Then I kept a diary and strictly increased only by half a pea every ten days. Now I use five pea-sized blobs twice a day and have very little dryness and no itch. It took a long time though.

#17 Skintuition

Skintuition

1 Year On The DKR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

I don't find the AHA+ to be a hassle at all because it absorbs so quickly. It takes me literally less than 30 seconds to apply the AHA+ each night. I don't use AHA+ during the day because it's too moisturizing for me to wear under makeup; additionally, if you only apply it at night, you don't have to worry much about the sun sensitivity issue.

I completely understand being hesitant to try new products; I used to be the same way. Several years ago I tried Bare Minerals and I had the most horrible reaction to the foundation. My skin was broken out, scabbed, and irritated. But as soon as I stopped using it, my skin returned to normal. Strangely enough, that experience really helped me get over my reluctance to try new products because I know that regardless of what new things I try, I can always return to the regimen that works perfectly for me to keep my skin healthy and clear. You might be missing out on some great products that meet your needs better than the products you're using, and you'll never know unless you try them! I'd suggest trying some of the other moisturizers that Dan recommends, all of which are available at the drugstore.

thanks for the help, I think I know what I'm going to try with my skin, 1st off I'm going to try the cerave moisturizer, though I don't think Dan has said anything about it lots of others here on acne.org seem to think it's a great moisturizer, better than cetaphil they say. 2nd if my skin keeps flaking I'll reduce the amount of BP i'm using, and 3rd I may order some AHA just to do at night, though I'm going to have to do more research first. Thank you for this post it was very helpful

#18 rush25

rush25

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

thanks for the help, I think I know what I'm going to try with my skin, 1st off I'm going to try the cerave moisturizer, though I don't think Dan has said anything about it lots of others here on acne.org seem to think it's a great moisturizer, better than cetaphil they say. 2nd if my skin keeps flaking I'll reduce the amount of BP i'm using, and 3rd I may order some AHA just to do at night, though I'm going to have to do more research first. Thank you for this post it was very helpful

I think that's a great idea! Hopefully the CeraVe helps!

#19 Skintuition

Skintuition

1 Year On The DKR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

UPDATE:
Just purchased CeraVe moisturizing lotion today... Since I am running super low on my acne.org one I thought I'd give cerave a try, because if you follow my other posts, you'd know I asked a few of you guys to vote on which was your preferred moisturizer and EVERYONE said cerave, so I'm excited to try it, I'll let you know what I think of it :)