Photo

Updated! Dermarolling Great Results, Pictures

subcision chemical peel microdermabrasion makeup dermaroll dermarolling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#41 LoserXP

LoserXP

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hello rockmeamadeus,

please continue to keep us updated!

#42 rockmeamadeus

rockmeamadeus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates.

My derm forgot to prescribe me Retin-A when I was there, and I planned to go in ASAP to get that plus a spot treatment (she offers them free to deter people from picking their skin!) but A LOT of things came up in my life that just made me put all of this to the side.
Also I cannot afford the Retin-A for a few weeks now, because of some issues.

So, I haven't really started anything yet. Within the next month I plan to start the Retin-A, and then I can update after I have been using it for a month or so. The big thing is the VI Peel my derm plans to give me after being on Retin-A for 2 months, which she says will create an amazing difference.

Meanwhile, I have been following her advice as close as I can. I cut out all caffiene (coffee, diet soda, etc). I drink only water and have gotten to be addicted to green tea, so I drink 1-2 cups a day. I cut down a lot on the amount of empty calories and processed junk I eat. I try to eat basic, at least for a while to kind of clean up my skin as much as I can without topicals.

The texture of my skin seems to be smoother on it's own, I just use Physician's Formula Wrinkle Formula & Deep Moisture Repair. Staying out the sun, and also collagen forming from so many past self-administered peels are all reasons why it seems to be smoother even without treatment, I believe.

I think after Retin-A and the VI peel, my skin will be improved enough for me to regain confidence, and ditch the makeup. I really, really can see the light at the end of this tunnel.

Here is a picture of my skin. Still bad, had a bad menstrual breakout I am trying to clear up. But, honestly everyone---diet matters! Sleep matters! Water matters! I know it's repeated over and over, but it MATTERS. REALLY.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20121113_132511.jpg

#43 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

My derm forgot to prescribe me Retin-A when I was there, and I planned to go in ASAP to get that plus a spot treatment (she offers them free to deter people from picking their skin!) but A LOT of things came up in my life that just made me put all of this to the side.

So, I haven't really started anything yet. Within the next month I plan to start the Retin-A, and then I can update after I have been using it for a month or so. The big thing is the VI Peel my derm plans to give me after being on Retin-A for 2 months, which she says will create an amazing difference.

Meanwhile, I have been following her advice as close as I can. I cut out all caffiene (coffee, diet soda, etc). I drink only water and have gotten to be addicted to green tea, so I drink 1-2 cups a day. I cut down a lot on the amount of empty calories and processed junk I eat. I try to eat basic, at least for a while to kind of clean up my skin as much as I can without topicals.

The texture of my skin seems to be smoother on it's own, I just use Physician's Formula Wrinkle Formula & Deep Moisture Repair. Staying out the sun, and also collagen forming from so many past self-administered peels are all reasons why it seems to be smoother even without treatment, I believe.

I think after Retin-A and the VI peel, my skin will be improved enough for me to regain confidence, and ditch the makeup. I really, really can see the light at the end of this tunnel.

Here is a picture of my skin. Still bad, had a bad menstrual breakout I am trying to clear up. But, honestly everyone---diet matters! Sleep matters! Water matters! I know it's repeated over and over, but it MATTERS. REALLY.

I totally managed to clear my skin 100% by using only water to wash my face with a microfiber cloth for absorbing oil and exfoliation. Non-dairy diet. No junk food. Drink lots of water and green tea. Take zinc every other day or so. Washing my face with water only was an important step.

#44 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

Thanks so much for updating your thread. Looking forward to hearing about your results with Retin A. Best of luck! Posted Image

#45 rockmeamadeus

rockmeamadeus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Can I just say something that anyone who posts pictures here completely barefaced will understand....it is damn freeing to post pictures of yourself looking (what you think) is your most disgusting and have no one react like, 'OH MY GOD, EW YOU LOOK SO UGLY, EW, EW EW'

I just want to say, I didn't even realize it until I looked back through this thread and all the pictures I took that I would cry if anyone I knew saw them, and I didn't even think too much on it. That's awesome.

I totally managed to clear my skin 100% by using only water to wash my face with a microfiber cloth for absorbing oil and exfoliation. Non-dairy diet. No junk food. Drink lots of water and green tea. Take zinc every other day or so. Washing my face with water only was an important step.

It's true, seriously....I think my acne can be attributed to digestive issues and a childhood of Hamburger Helper for dinner. I only wish my mom was a crazy health nut, I probably could have avoided all serious breakouts and scarring altogether. Ah well....

#46 luvskincare13

luvskincare13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Going to the derms is scary for sure.
I must say though that the peel is pretty weak and in all honesty will not do much at all for your scarring. I have had several and trust me it will be a waste if this is what you are trying to treat. You will have to have more aggressive treatments to correct your scarring. I still think subcision or fillers or laser are going to be your best bet for the rolling scars and maybe cross for your boxcars on the apples of your cheeks. The peel will make your skin lookm better for a few days because of the swelling but thats about it.

#47 dgan

dgan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Can I just say something that anyone who posts pictures here completely barefaced will understand....it is damn freeing to post pictures of yourself looking (what you think) is your most disgusting and have no one react like, 'OH MY GOD, EW YOU LOOK SO UGLY, EW, EW EW'

how somebody can tell OH MY GOD, EW YOU LOOK SO UGLY,when in reallity you are very pretty ,you need more self confidence girl

#48 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

I just want to say, I didn't even realize it until I looked back through this thread and all the pictures I took that I would cry if anyone I knew saw them, and I didn't even think too much on it. That's awesome.

It's true, seriously....I think my acne can be attributed to digestive issues and a childhood of Hamburger Helper for dinner. I only wish my mom was a crazy health nut, I probably could have avoided all serious breakouts and scarring altogether. Ah well....

I totally relate to the feeling of being apprehensive about putting photos of yourself, and wondering if those viewing your thread would think that your scarring looks heinous or not. However, after I posted my first series of photos on my own thread, I quickly got over that feeling. Like you, I also consider it pretty awesome that people are so supportive and helpful here on Acne.org.

Also, I wanted to say that even if you were brought up with "health nut" parents, your predisposition for acne and scarring might still have always been there. My mom tried to cook decent meals for my siblings and I while we grew up, but she believed that giving cow's milk to us was "healthy". It was probably okay for my brother and sister, since they don't have the skin issues that I do, but since my mom wasn't educated about the potential dangers of dairy for those with hormonal issues, she had no way of knowing that I shouldn't have had it as a younger girl.

At least you are learning this stuff now, and you're still so young! Posted Image

#49 rockmeamadeus

rockmeamadeus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

I must say though that the peel is pretty weak and in all honesty will not do much at all for your scarring. I have had several and trust me it will be a waste if this is what you are trying to treat. You will have to have more aggressive treatments to correct your scarring. I still think subcision or fillers or laser are going to be your best bet for the rolling scars and maybe cross for your boxcars on the apples of your cheeks. The peel will make your skin lookm better for a few days because of the swelling but thats about it.

I don't assume this will be the end of my treatment, but for a first step I think it will help a lot. I have done mild peels at home and have a lot smoother appearance than I did even 2 years ago because of them, and I know the VI peel is not the strongest out there, but I think as far as making my skin appear more even and healthy, it will do wonders. As far as the deep scars on my temples and cheeks, I'll probably learn to live with them or in the future go for more agressive treatments. I think after using Retin-A Micro and THEN having this peel will just overall make my skin a lot more clear looking than it is now.

My derm even told me that a scar is a scar, but getting rid of blemishes, discoloration, redness, all of those kinds of things can really make for a nice result even if the scars still remain. I am not seeking or expecting 100% smooth skin where I look great in every lighting, but I am completel content with that.

Right now I know that if I get my skin looking more healthy, the scarring wont bother me as much. Also, I won't have to wear so much foundation, which only makes my scarring look worse.

I totally relate to the feeling of being apprehensive about putting photos of yourself, and wondering if those viewing your thread would think that your scarring looks heinous or not. However, after I posted my first series of photos on my own thread, I quickly got over that feeling. Like you, I also consider it pretty awesome that people are so supportive and helpful here on Acne.org.

Also, I wanted to say that even if you were brought up with "health nut" parents, your predisposition for acne and scarring might still have always been there. My mom tried to cook decent meals for my siblings and I while we grew up, but she believed that giving cow's milk to us was "healthy". It was probably okay for my brother and sister, since they don't have the skin issues that I do, but since my mom wasn't educated about the potential dangers of dairy for those with hormonal issues, she had no way of knowing that I shouldn't have had it as a younger girl.

At least you are learning this stuff now, and you're still so young! Posted Image

I know, I mean't to say that it's obviously in my genetics to be acne-prone and have skin inflammation to things other people don't, and I feel if I had been aware of this when I was young, I could have avoided eating high-sodium, high-dairy, highly processed foods that, for me, caused really bad breakouts that led to scarring.
I never really understood the fact that some people just have a higher tendency to get acne, like how pale people have a higher tendency to get sunburned. It's like a pale person hanging out with their really tan friends, wondering why they don't get blistering sunburns, and sitting in the sun anyway, thinking it can't be the problem because their FRIENDS don't get affected in the same way.

I don't know, it's just all really complicated, isn't it? That's the frustrating part. You spend so much of your time and energy chasing after causes so you can maybe find a solution, but there are so many. I am glad I am learning a lot about my skin now and how to treat it better, but I think the best option is to be at peace with yourself and don't fall into dramatics because of a flaw.

#50 Coppedsynergy999

Coppedsynergy999

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

I don't assume this will be the end of my treatment, but for a first step I think it will help a lot. I have done mild peels at home and have a lot smoother appearance than I did even 2 years ago because of them, and I know the VI peel is not the strongest out there, but I think as far as making my skin appear more even and healthy, it will do wonders. As far as the deep scars on my temples and cheeks, I'll probably learn to live with them or in the future go for more agressive treatments. I think after using Retin-A Micro and THEN having this peel will just overall make my skin a lot more clear looking than it is now.

My derm even told me that a scar is a scar, but getting rid of blemishes, discoloration, redness, all of those kinds of things can really make for a nice result even if the scars still remain. I am not seeking or expecting 100% smooth skin where I look great in every lighting, but I am completel content with that.

Right now I know that if I get my skin looking more healthy, the scarring wont bother me as much. Also, I won't have to wear so much foundation, which only makes my scarring look worse.

I know, I mean't to say that it's obviously in my genetics to be acne-prone and have skin inflammation to things other people don't, and I feel if I had been aware of this when I was young, I could have avoided eating high-sodium, high-dairy, highly processed foods that, for me, caused really bad breakouts that led to scarring.
I never really understood the fact that some people just have a higher tendency to get acne, like how pale people have a higher tendency to get sunburned. It's like a pale person hanging out with their really tan friends, wondering why they don't get blistering sunburns, and sitting in the sun anyway, thinking it can't be the problem because their FRIENDS don't get affected in the same way.

I don't know, it's just all really complicated, isn't it? That's the frustrating part. You spend so much of your time and energy chasing after causes so you can maybe find a solution, but there are so many. I am glad I am learning a lot about my skin now and how to treat it better, but I think the best option is to be at peace with yourself and don't fall into dramatics because of a flaw.

Do you mind listing what you are cleansing your face with? I swear by the water only method. I think everyone should give it a try. I mean I hardly ever break out. at all. I used to be prone exactly like you are. I only break out now when I eat poorly. And its only a spot or two.

#51 Rob_X_22

Rob_X_22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

i been using dermarollers for a few months now and am seeing some better results ...but i tell ya what i got some pro x age repair cream the other day by olay and i couldn't believe how much it evened out my skin and the tone of it ...i'm wantin to try some firming cream ....do yourself a favor and try these new creams for your skin there great !

#52 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

Any updates, rockmeamadeus? Posted Image

#53 rockmeamadeus

rockmeamadeus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

Hey guys, I am back.

So I never went to a dermatologist. I continued to try to treat my skin on my own. I bought a dermaroller a few months ago from Amazon after seeing more things on T.V. about it and reviews on youtube. I purchased the 1.0 mm. I sterilize it for about 10 minutes before and after. I inspect it for broken or bent needles before each time I use. My first roller I found a bent needle after my 2nd time using it, so I bought a new one. I have heard conflicting things about how often to use it; every 2 months? Every week? I decided I would only do it when a) 3 weeks minimum have passed and b) no active breakouts whatsoever and c) I would start out very very lightly and then slowly build up to harder rolling.

I also began taking Marine Collagen supplements. It's supposed to be 5 a day, I have only been taking 2. It's hard to keep up with. For products I apply in general, and especially after I dermaroll, I switch between:

-Organic Deep Rosehip oil from Aura Cacia

-Argan facial treatment with Rose & Helichrysum from Simplers Botanicals

-Vitamin C Renewal Eye Cream from Avalon Organics(I use this all over my face though)

-Mychelle's Pumpkin Peel

-a grapefruit peel I got from Whole Foods and I forgot the brand of it

-coconut oil

-Dan's AHA

I wash my face with Cetaphil and my Clarisonic Mia. Sometimes I use Jason's Apricot Scrubble if I have dry patches, or Dr. Brandts Pore No More wash. But 95% of the time it's Cetaphil only.

My diet needs work, I try to drink a lot of water and I drink a lot of green iced Honest Tea. I went through two periods where I drank a lot of Kombucha with Chia seeds. I went through a green smoothie period. I eat oatmeal or oat bran with almond milk and honey almost everyday. I do have my junk food spells and that's something I am working really hard on, but when I do eat healthy I try to eat the superfoods. Kale, broccoli, quinoa, free range chicken. And I try to stay low-dairy. 

For these pictures, a few notes. In the previous posts, I posted pictures with and without makeup. I had a lot more active acne then, and the without makeup pictures were to show the blemishes. I feel when I wear makeup, it accentuates the scarring, mainly when I am under harsh lighting. The powder sticks to my scars, my dry spots, and my baby hairs on my face and it looks bad. I want that, however, to get the full extent. So the pictures below I am wearing makeup, but it's not to fool you or to make my scars look better. On the contrary! Also, I need to wear a lot less makeup now, so in these pictures I am wearing only a MAC BB cream and Physicians Formula powder on my face. 

I tried to recreate the same lighting, angles as before but it's difficult. I also applied the HDR filter in Picasa on them so you can better see how the texture has improved. 

I will take better pictures in the future, but I am excited and wanted to compile a quick post in case it helps ANYONE make a decision on dermarolling!

Here we go!

beforeandafter3.jpg

HDR7.jpg

This one is the most important, because it's taken in the same bathroom that had that horrible lighting that spurred me to post about feeling ugly and disfigured. The after is actually after a long stretch of not dermarolling and I wanted to see if I noticed a difference. I did, but the next day I did a heavy dermaroll (lots of pressure) and the rest of these pictures are my current results.

AcneBeforeAfter.jpg
HDR.jpg

BeforeAndAfter2.jpg
HDR2.jpg

After2.jpg
HDR5.jpg
*These are not before & after, these were both in the same day. I took these in the worst lighted room in my house, THE UPSTAIRS BATHROOM. I dread this lighting because of how bad my skin usually is, but recently was shocked at how smoother it looked in this light!

After.jpg
HDR4.jpg

So, basically dermarolling approx. every 3 weeks, marine collagen supplements, natural, healthy oils & serums and gentle peels, Clarisonic and Dan's AHA have all probably been the cause for my progress. Any tips, warnings, suggestions, comments, etc. are welcome (be nice, of course!). I hope this helps someone! 

Also, I have been dating A LOT and my scars haven't phased even one person, leading to a boost in my confidence. I act like I don't have the scars and don't let them ruin my life and have noticed a significant difference in how I feel about myself, which is the most important thing.

Good luck guys! <3

#54 luvskincare13

luvskincare13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Congratulations!!!

Your skin looks so smooth now. Looks so much better!!!

#55 rentstuff

rentstuff

hi. i like u in that way too

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Hi, do you use the super cop 2x cream/serum days after every derma rolling?? I thought that's one of the main protocols in derma rolling

#56 rockmeamadeus

rockmeamadeus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

Hi, do you use the super cop 2x cream/serum days after every derma rolling?? I thought that's one of the main protocols in derma rolling

Nope, never heard of it. I use Vitamin E cream, rose hip oi, and twice I've used Blue Plasma from Sephora, after I dermaroll.

#57 AghhNe

AghhNe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

Nope, never heard of it. I use Vitamin E cream, rose hip oi, and twice I've used Blue Plasma from Sephora, after I dermaroll.

So, it's only a 1mm dermaroller right?
I see an improvement.
Do you break out with rose hip oil? Im using a 1.5mm dermastamp.

How long have you been dermarolling?

#58 rockmeamadeus

rockmeamadeus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

I see an improvement.

Yeah, it's 1mm. I heard the 0.5 wasn't very effective at all, and the 1.5 seemed a little too much at first. I wonder should I upgrade to 1.5 now? I got the dermaroller around July 17th, so it's been two months. I dermarolled about 3 times when I first got it, every week, just very lightly. So altogether 6 times or so, and I am doing 3 weeks in between now. 

#59 AghhNe

AghhNe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

I see an improvement.

Yeah, it's 1mm. I heard the 0.5 wasn't very effective at all, and the 1.5 seemed a little too much at first. I wonder should I upgrade to 1.5 now? I got the dermaroller around July 17th, so it's been two months. I dermarolled about 3 times when I first got it, every week, just very lightly. So altogether 6 times or so, and I am doing 3 weeks in between now. 

Yea i think you'll be fine with a 1.5mm. I would normaly advise to go with dermastamps but since you have scars that are not isolated then dermaroller is a good option. Though, go slow with it. To be safe do one side of your face first then see how it reacts.

#60 hanzuno

hanzuno

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:25 AM

if you can handle the 1.5mm, i think you'll get better results than the 1.0 mm. Also because your scars are located on the cheeks (meaty area) where it can handle a more longer needle size compare to the temple, and side of the forehead where it is thinner.

I'm currently using 1.5 mm roller and dermastamp and so far it looks promising. I want to roll more frequently but it may do more damage than good to your skin. Rebuilding collagen takes a while and goes through phases, if needling is done before your new collagen is laid out in an organized fashion, you might be just wasting your time.