Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

akbrighteyes

Pregnant

24 posts in this topic

I have been on Accutane since May 10, 2012. I have been on 60 mg a day. My last dermatologist appointment was on August 23rd, exactly one week ago.

At my appointment, they asked me about my last menstrual cycle. I told them, "Oh, thats easy. I was on it during my last appointment on July 23rd, so I would've started last month, July, around the 21st."

It was already the 23rd of August and no period. I peed in the cup anyway and let them test me. Must've been negative because my derm gave me another prescription.

Fast forward the next day. Friday night, my boyfriend proposes to me. Happy weekend, lots of excitement. Monday rolls around and while I'm busy showing off my new ring, I remember I still haven't gotten my period.

Tuesday morning I skip work and go to the store and buy a test. I go to my moms and pee on it. I can't be pregnant, I've been cramping, my boobs hurt, its due any day now.

A positive line shows up immediately. I am enraged. I am scared. I am at a loss of words. I bawl my eyes out. I am pregnant.

I went to the clinic yesterday to get a blood test to make sure that I was in fact pregnant and I am. I am around 6 weeks today.

I am meeting with my dermatologist who found out after the blood results were sent to her yesterday. My appointment is in an hour and a half. I am petrified.

Please don't get pregnant on Accutane. It CAN happen, even if you are on birth control pills and using condoms. Condoms can break and the pill doesn't always work.

I am heartbroken.

RIP Acne

May 10, 2012

40 mg/day of Amnesteem - Month 1

60 mg/day of Amnesteem - Month 2

Cerave Hydrating Cleanser

Cetaphil Cream

Jojoba Oil

Aquaphor/Dr. Dan's Cortibalm

I know this is a very difficult time for you and I do not have the words to comfort you. :(

I hope and pray you are able to get some good medical information and advice for what is in store for your future regarding this baby.

(hugs)

Oh...this must be so incredibly hard for you, I can only imagine :comfort: I echo Brandy's words, and hope you'll get all the advice and support you need right now *hugs*

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

Hun,wishing you the best. It is what it is so try not to stress until you get your results. No one knows what will happen with your pregnancy but i will definitely be praying for you.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end. Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

I had to comment to show my support. I want to say you WILL get through this, and stay strong. At the end of the day, please do what's best for you.

All the best dear.

I can't add much more than others have said, but I want to say that we support you, and wish for the best. Also, do whatever you feel is best for you based on your own beliefs - not what others tell you to believe. Whatever decisions you make during these times are going to be difficult regardless, but it is still best to make the decisions you want to make when it comes to your body and situation.

First of all: congratulations on your engagement. It sounds like you two are in love and please don't let the unexpected pregnancy cloud over your happy new start in life.

Whatever happens, you will know what is right to do, for this period in your life. I'm praying for you, as I'm sure others are on this site.

28 years young female nutrition ninja

blah blah acne forever. let's kick it in the nutz, accutane.

Barlean's omega 3-6-9 swirl, probiotics, Thorne liver support, vitamin D

Started Claravis May 16, 2012

Month 1: 40 mg

Month 2: 60 mg

Month 3: 60 mg

Month 4: 60 mg

Month 5: 60 mg

Ending October 18, 2012

I'm Praying for you bright eyes! I have been following you and supporting you on your accutane journey so far and I will continue to support and follow you with this. I am sure it is a shock! Rely on your now fiancé for support and we are all here for you too! If you ever need to talk please feel free to PM me. Hang in there. You are in my thoughts and prayers

I have been on Accutane since May 10, 2012. I have been on 60 mg a day. My last dermatologist appointment was on August 23rd, exactly one week ago.

At my appointment, they asked me about my last menstrual cycle. I told them, "Oh, thats easy. I was on it during my last appointment on July 23rd, so I would've started last month, July, around the 21st."

It was already the 23rd of August and no period. I peed in the cup anyway and let them test me. Must've been negative because my derm gave me another prescription.

Fast forward the next day. Friday night, my boyfriend proposes to me. Happy weekend, lots of excitement. Monday rolls around and while I'm busy showing off my new ring, I remember I still haven't gotten my period.

Tuesday morning I skip work and go to the store and buy a test. I go to my moms and pee on it. I can't be pregnant, I've been cramping, my boobs hurt, its due any day now.

A positive line shows up immediately. I am enraged. I am scared. I am at a loss of words. I bawl my eyes out. I am pregnant.

I went to the clinic yesterday to get a blood test to make sure that I was in fact pregnant and I am. I am around 6 weeks today.

I am meeting with my dermatologist who found out after the blood results were sent to her yesterday. My appointment is in an hour and a half. I am petrified.

Please don't get pregnant on Accutane. It CAN happen, even if you are on birth control pills and using condoms. Condoms can break and the pill doesn't always work.

I am heartbroken.

I am praying for you Brighteyes, I have been following you and I am here to support you as well. I can imagine how scary a situation like this is. We are all here if you need to talk or any support.

Stay strong and you will get through this. <3 <3

23 year old Female, 133 pounds

Light/Moderate Acne

Previous 'Tane treatment May '09 - July '09

Claravis 80mg/day

Start date: March 28, 2012

Month 1 - April : 60mg/day

Month 2 - May : 60mg/day

Month 3 - June : 80mg/day

Month 4 - July : 80mg/day

Month 5 - August : 80mg/day

Month 6 - September : 80mg/day

Finished September 28, 2012!!

smile.png

I wish you the best, science doesn't have answer for everything, and I'm not sure on the statistical probability of birth defects due to Isotretinoin absorption during birth, nor correlation of dose/likely hood of birth defects. The only thing I'll say is...remember that being alive doesn't constitute "living". I am sure some testing, i.e. ultrasound could be performed to monitor progress of physical development. Ultimately you are right, no contraceptive has perfect efficacy; except not having sex. It's unfortunate but in reality unless you're willing to chance pregnancy, don't have sex. I'm sorry you wound up on the really short end of the statistic, and moreso that your MD dropped the ball (which is another issue in my opinion, definitely malpractice). Make sure you follow your heart, in doing so, remember what it is your heart chose and don't look back one way or the other. Good luck.

Posted · This comment is awaiting approval by a moderator · Report post

Maybe you're right... Maybe it was an insenstivie comment. I apologize if I offended anyone. It just breaks my heart to see young mothers choose abortion over life. It worries me...

Maybe you're right... Maybe it was an insenstivie comment. I apologize if I offended anyone. It just breaks my heart to see young mothers choose abortion over life. It worries me...

The only thing broken about your heart is the lack of empathy. Saying sorry for trying to impose your view on someone and then saying it again isn't really an apology btw. You're mistaking love for life with intolerant absolutism based on your own belief system, one that might not necessarily align with the OP. To push her one way or another as if there's a universal right answer is downright insensitive.

I believe I can share somewhat of an empathy. My mom was very young when she had me and I was almost aborted... luckily somebody talked her out of it. I would not be here today if it weren't for that. This will be my last post on this topic. I honestly don't mean to offend anybody, but I think there are people on this site that look for ways to be offended, and I don't even want to give them the time of day.

I believe I can share somewhat of an empathy. My mom was very young when she had me and I was almost aborted... luckily somebody talked her out of it. I would not be here today if it weren't for that. This will be my last post on this topic. I honestly don't mean to offend anybody, but I think there are people on this site that look for ways to be offended, and I don't even want to give them the time of day.

Empathy isn't making someone feel how you feel, or putting them in your shoes; it's feeling what they are, and putting yourself in their shoes.

It's a complex life experience for OP beyond any kind of scenarios we can come up with. She's going to actually be living through it, and can come out a stronger person in any choice she makes. The most we can do is encourage her to follow her heart and conscious.

The empathy was torward the unborn child

1 person likes this

Like the others who have posted - I just needed to comment here to also show my support. This must be incredibly hard to deal with right now - I can't even begin to imagine...

Hang in there - I hope everything works out for the best.

Good luck and best wishes.

Started The Acne.org Regimen 2nd July 2013

The empathy was torward the unborn child

Even if that was your intention, you can't say you have empathy because it's impossible for you to know how the child feels - because it isn't a sentient being at this point.

Clearly though, you are determined to not look past your own beliefs to have empathy for the OP. Frankly, you're being not only insensitive, but willingly ignorant of the complexity of the situation.

You know maybe you're right... maybe my comment was wrong to say. I really don't know to be honest. I just felt lead to say that in that moment because the first thing that came into my head was my situation and my religiosu beliefs. I will think things through more before I post on here in the future.

We're all praying for you! Trust your doctors and the people who love you and you'll get through this. Congratulations on your engagement as well!

We're all here any time for support

Started Clavaris 5/21/2012 for chin cysts and cystic acne on my back. I'm a 21yr old male with sensitive combination skin (extremely oily t-zone). Been on antibiotics for 18 months and remained fairly clear on my face but my back is still breaking out, and the antibiotic is losing affetiveness on face.

Month 1: 50 mg/day 5/21/2012
Month 2: 50 mg/day
Month 3: 60 mg/day
Month 4: 60 mg/day
Month 5: 60 mg/day
Month 6: 60 mg/day
FINISHED: 150 mg/kg

Routine: AM: - Acne.org cleanser

- DML Mousturizer
- Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar for Body

- Gillete Sensor Excel w/ Acne/org cleanser
- Aquaphor on lips
- Cerave AM Mousturizer SPF (when outside)

PM: - Acne.org cleanser
- DML Mousturizer
- Veltin (clindamycin & tretinoin) Topical on T zone

Other: - Limited dairy(for digestive reasons and acne)
- Good, balanced diet (limited fried food and sugar)
- Heavy weight training & Cardio 5x per week
- Calcium/Vitamin D, Vitamin C, and Multivitamin Supplements

Follow your own convictions based on your beliefs, no one else's. You are the only one who knows the right course for you and your body. Seek medical advice and follow your heart.

Congratulations on your engagement!! <3

I'll be thinking of you!

Female / 30 years old / 117lbs / 5'4"

Moderate-severe cystic facial acne

Claravis start date: 7/6/12

Month 1: 40mg

Month 2: 60mg

Month 3: 60mg

Month 4: 60mg

Month 5: 60mg

Month 6?: 60mg

Supplements: Fish Oil, Milk Thistle, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Probiotics

Thinking about you.

I'm so sorry you are faced with such a scary situation when you should just be celebrating this very happy time.

As others have said- follow your heart and do what is right for you. People may give you opinions on what is the "right" thing to do- but they are not in the situation. Base your decision on what YOU feel is right. You will get through this…

Sending you love

xoxo

Thank you ALL for your love and support. After speaking with numerous doctors that I trust greatly, I've made my decision. Though this is a very difficult time emotionally, I know that I have made the best choice for everyone involved.

I appreciate all of the kind words and thoughts.

RIP Acne

May 10, 2012

40 mg/day of Amnesteem - Month 1

60 mg/day of Amnesteem - Month 2

Cerave Hydrating Cleanser

Cetaphil Cream

Jojoba Oil

Aquaphor/Dr. Dan's Cortibalm