Photo

Pregnant

pregnant accutane scared

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 akbrighteyes

akbrighteyes

You've set on me, but you are not the sun.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

I have been on Accutane since May 10, 2012. I have been on 60 mg a day. My last dermatologist appointment was on August 23rd, exactly one week ago.

At my appointment, they asked me about my last menstrual cycle. I told them, "Oh, thats easy. I was on it during my last appointment on July 23rd, so I would've started last month, July, around the 21st."

It was already the 23rd of August and no period. I peed in the cup anyway and let them test me. Must've been negative because my derm gave me another prescription.

Fast forward the next day. Friday night, my boyfriend proposes to me. Happy weekend, lots of excitement. Monday rolls around and while I'm busy showing off my new ring, I remember I still haven't gotten my period.

Tuesday morning I skip work and go to the store and buy a test. I go to my moms and pee on it. I can't be pregnant, I've been cramping, my boobs hurt, its due any day now.

A positive line shows up immediately. I am enraged. I am scared. I am at a loss of words. I bawl my eyes out. I am pregnant.

I went to the clinic yesterday to get a blood test to make sure that I was in fact pregnant and I am. I am around 6 weeks today.

I am meeting with my dermatologist who found out after the blood results were sent to her yesterday. My appointment is in an hour and a half. I am petrified.

Please don't get pregnant on Accutane. It CAN happen, even if you are on birth control pills and using condoms. Condoms can break and the pill doesn't always work.

I am heartbroken.

#2 James9

James9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

This is so intense. I wouldn't even know where to begin... best of luck.

#3 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

I know this is a very difficult time for you and I do not have the words to comfort you. :(
I hope and pray you are able to get some good medical information and advice for what is in store for your future regarding this baby.

(hugs)

#4 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

Oh...this must be so incredibly hard for you, I can only imagine :comfort: I echo Brandy's words, and hope you'll get all the advice and support you need right now *hugs*

#5 Sasch83

Sasch83

Veteran Member

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hun,wishing you the best. It is what it is so try not to stress until you get your results. No one knows what will happen with your pregnancy but i will definitely be praying for you.

#6 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

I had to comment to show my support. I want to say you WILL get through this, and stay strong. At the end of the day, please do what's best for you.

All the best dear.

#7 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

I can't add much more than others have said, but I want to say that we support you, and wish for the best. Also, do whatever you feel is best for you based on your own beliefs - not what others tell you to believe. Whatever decisions you make during these times are going to be difficult regardless, but it is still best to make the decisions you want to make when it comes to your body and situation.

#8 ginanutrition

ginanutrition

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

First of all: congratulations on your engagement. It sounds like you two are in love and please don't let the unexpected pregnancy cloud over your happy new start in life.

Whatever happens, you will know what is right to do, for this period in your life. I'm praying for you, as I'm sure others are on this site.

#9 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

I'm Praying for you bright eyes! I have been following you and supporting you on your accutane journey so far and I will continue to support and follow you with this. I am sure it is a shock! Rely on your now fiancé for support and we are all here for you too! If you ever need to talk please feel free to PM me. Hang in there. You are in my thoughts and prayers

#10 kaydon

kaydon

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

I have been on Accutane since May 10, 2012. I have been on 60 mg a day. My last dermatologist appointment was on August 23rd, exactly one week ago.

At my appointment, they asked me about my last menstrual cycle. I told them, "Oh, thats easy. I was on it during my last appointment on July 23rd, so I would've started last month, July, around the 21st."

It was already the 23rd of August and no period. I peed in the cup anyway and let them test me. Must've been negative because my derm gave me another prescription.

Fast forward the next day. Friday night, my boyfriend proposes to me. Happy weekend, lots of excitement. Monday rolls around and while I'm busy showing off my new ring, I remember I still haven't gotten my period.

Tuesday morning I skip work and go to the store and buy a test. I go to my moms and pee on it. I can't be pregnant, I've been cramping, my boobs hurt, its due any day now.

A positive line shows up immediately. I am enraged. I am scared. I am at a loss of words. I bawl my eyes out. I am pregnant.

I went to the clinic yesterday to get a blood test to make sure that I was in fact pregnant and I am. I am around 6 weeks today.

I am meeting with my dermatologist who found out after the blood results were sent to her yesterday. My appointment is in an hour and a half. I am petrified.

Please don't get pregnant on Accutane. It CAN happen, even if you are on birth control pills and using condoms. Condoms can break and the pill doesn't always work.

I am heartbroken.

I am praying for you Brighteyes, I have been following you and I am here to support you as well. I can imagine how scary a situation like this is. We are all here if you need to talk or any support.

Stay strong and you will get through this. <3 <3

#11 aracon504

aracon504

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

I wish you the best, science doesn't have answer for everything, and I'm not sure on the statistical probability of birth defects due to Isotretinoin absorption during birth, nor correlation of dose/likely hood of birth defects. The only thing I'll say is...remember that being alive doesn't constitute "living". I am sure some testing, i.e. ultrasound could be performed to monitor progress of physical development. Ultimately you are right, no contraceptive has perfect efficacy; except not having sex. It's unfortunate but in reality unless you're willing to chance pregnancy, don't have sex. I'm sorry you wound up on the really short end of the statistic, and moreso that your MD dropped the ball (which is another issue in my opinion, definitely malpractice). Make sure you follow your heart, in doing so, remember what it is your heart chose and don't look back one way or the other. Good luck.

#12 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

Like the others who have posted - I just needed to comment here to also show my support. This must be incredibly hard to deal with right now - I can't even begin to imagine...
Hang in there - I hope everything works out for the best.
Good luck and best wishes.

#13 B552299G

B552299G

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

We're all praying for you! Trust your doctors and the people who love you and you'll get through this. Congratulations on your engagement as well!

We're all here any time for support

#14 bodyandsoul

bodyandsoul

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Follow your own convictions based on your beliefs, no one else's. You are the only one who knows the right course for you and your body. Seek medical advice and follow your heart.

Congratulations on your engagement!! <3

I'll be thinking of you!

#15 zodistarr

zodistarr

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

Thinking about you.

I'm so sorry you are faced with such a scary situation when you should just be celebrating this very happy time.

As others have said- follow your heart and do what is right for you. People may give you opinions on what is the "right" thing to do- but they are not in the situation. Base your decision on what YOU feel is right. You will get through this…

Sending you love
xoxo

#16 akbrighteyes

akbrighteyes

You've set on me, but you are not the sun.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

Thank you ALL for your love and support. After speaking with numerous doctors that I trust greatly, I've made my decision. Though this is a very difficult time emotionally, I know that I have made the best choice for everyone involved.

I appreciate all of the kind words and thoughts.

#17 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

Much love to you brighteyes!