Photo

Flaky Skin, Help!

dry skin flaky skin help acne.org regimen dkr advice aha alpha hydroxy acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Skintuition

Skintuition

1 Year On The DKR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

Ok, I've been on the Acne.org Regimen for 5 months. It's time consuming, it's tough, and absolutely does not fit in with your schedule if you are on the go much. However, the only reason I've continued to do it is because it's given me clear skin, which is what I wanted in the first place. However, the cons at the moment are catching up to the pros. My skin is dry, and very flaky all the time. Every time I go swimming and get out of the water, within minutes my skin is peeling off and everyone notices. THIS IS NOT OKAY. I use 2 pumps of moisturizer and jojoba oil EVERYDAY and only 1 pump of BP! What am I doing wrong? All summer I've had to put up with this crap thinking that it would go away. IT NEVER DID.
I really could use some advice from regimen users on remedies for flaky skin, because seriously, I cannot live like this anymore. I want something that works with the regimen that eliminates flaking. I'm researching this now. Advice would be great.

oh and by the way, I don't use AHA for fear that I'll get sunburned too much and that it's an extra step that I just don't have time for.

#2 whatthekell

whatthekell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

some people have success using AHA in place of their moisturizer only at night time. then you won't have to worry about sunburn.
for me, i can't put AHA on my face as it's too strong and burns my face off. i unfortunately had to quit the regimen because of all the cons. i was on it for 8 months and never got rid of the flakes.

#3 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

General rule of thumb, if your skin starts hating you, take a break from the irritating ingredient. Just because sometimes your skin can handle BP every day or because some other people can handle BP every day doesn't mean you can handle BP every day all the time. When I used BP, I could use it every day for about a week and then my skin would hate me. If I wanted to use it long term I had to cut back to once every other day. LISTEN TO YOUR SKIN. If every time you ate something you threw up, would you keep eating it?

#4 Skintuition

Skintuition

1 Year On The DKR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

General rule of thumb, if your skin starts hating you, take a break from the irritating ingredient. Just because sometimes your skin can handle BP every day or because some other people can handle BP every day doesn't mean you can handle BP every day all the time. When I used BP, I could use it every day for about a week and then my skin would hate me. If I wanted to use it long term I had to cut back to once every other day. LISTEN TO YOUR SKIN. If every time you ate something you threw up, would you keep eating it?

I'm not really seeing your point, I know my skin can handle BP, I use a small amount, and if I don't, I break out. My skin feels and looks better than it did in awhile on this regimen. I'm not quitting, I'm just looking for solutions. How would you feel if you finally found a way to make your skin clear and pretty, and then someone told you to just quit, but because you were suffering from a side effect? Thank you for your post though, I don't mean to sound offensive in any way.

some people have success using AHA in place of their moisturizer only at night time. then you won't have to worry about sunburn.
for me, i can't put AHA on my face as it's too strong and burns my face off. i unfortunately had to quit the regimen because of all the cons. i was on it for 8 months and never got rid of the flakes.

that's way too bad. I am so torn because I love this regimen and it makes my skin clear and nice again, but at the same time it is insanely dry and flakes all the time. I'm thinking about trying a different moisturizer.

#5 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Try the AHA a few nights per week. Just use a good spf during the day and reapply as necessary.

As for your skin getting flaky after you swim, yep, chlorine is very drying. Keep a small travel bottle of the moisturizer with you and put it on after you swim. http://www.acne.org/faq.html#swim

#6 Skintuition

Skintuition

1 Year On The DKR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Try the AHA a few nights per week. Just use a good spf during the day and reapply as necessary.

As for your skin getting flaky after you swim, yep, chlorine is very drying. Keep a small travel bottle of the moisturizer with you and put it on after you swim. http://www.acne.org/faq.html#swim

ok thanks, I don't think I will be trying AHA as I have not quite figured out the whole sunscreen thing, plus I really do not have time to squeeze in another product that could potentially irritate my skin. Thank you though this was very helpful.

#7 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

I'm not really seeing your point, I know my skin can handle BP, I use a small amount, and if I don't, I break out. My skin feels and looks better than it did in awhile on this regimen. I'm not quitting, I'm just looking for solutions. How would you feel if you finally found a way to make your skin clear and pretty, and then someone told you to just quit, but because you were suffering from a side effect? Thank you for your post though, I don't mean to sound offensive in any way.

that's way too bad. I am so torn because I love this regimen and it makes my skin clear and nice again, but at the same time it is insanely dry and flakes all the time. I'm thinking about trying a different moisturizer.

Okay, well to me, if my skin is flaking off so much that people are commenting on it, I would say that's not really a healthy thing to deal with everyday. I guess I don't know what to tell you then, I don't think there's a good solution here. You probably already know this, but make sure you're gently exfoliating your skin with a damp washcloth every day.

#8 Johnny199r

Johnny199r

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

I've used the regimen on and off for about 10 years (I'm 29). The only thing that helps to control flaky white skin is cetaphil dry to very dry moisturizer for me. I don't understand the people on here whose skin doesn't flake like crazy. I could only do the regimen once a day for 7 years instead of twice a day like the last 3 years until I discovered this moisturizer because my face literally would fall off. Dan's moisturizer, and every other one, does nothing. Right now, I still have to apply moisturizer around my mouth after I eat and brush my teeth. When I wake up at my girlfriends I have to go to the washroom and put on the moistuizer before she wakes up because my face is all flaked up. I constantly have to reapply during the day. Otherwise, my face is completely engulfed in white flakes.

How people apply Dan's moisturizer (or any other that isn't the extra strength cetaphil brand) once a day and don't look like their face is falling off is beyond me.

#9 Skintuition

Skintuition

1 Year On The DKR

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

Okay, well to me, if my skin is flaking off so much that people are commenting on it, I would say that's not really a healthy thing to deal with everyday. I guess I don't know what to tell you then, I don't think there's a good solution here. You probably already know this, but make sure you're gently exfoliating your skin with a damp washcloth every day.

It's ok, I know I need to make some kind of change and I shouldn't be relying completely on other people's opinions. I actually don't exfoliate my skin, so, I'm going to try that. Thanks for the tips bro.

I've used the regimen on and off for about 10 years (I'm 29). The only thing that helps to control flaky white skin is cetaphil dry to very dry moisturizer for me. I don't understand the people on here whose skin doesn't flake like crazy. I could only do the regimen once a day for 7 years instead of twice a day like the last 3 years until I discovered this moisturizer because my face literally would fall off. Dan's moisturizer, and every other one, does nothing. Right now, I still have to apply moisturizer around my mouth after I eat and brush my teeth. When I wake up at my girlfriends I have to go to the washroom and put on the moistuizer before she wakes up because my face is all flaked up. I constantly have to reapply during the day. Otherwise, my face is completely engulfed in white flakes.

How people apply Dan's moisturizer (or any other that isn't the extra strength cetaphil brand) once a day and don't look like their face is falling off is beyond me.

Yeah, I've found that Dan's moisturizer is my least favorite of the products because it literally does nothing. It just makes my face look greasy, but it's still flaking. Before I went on this regimen, I used Burt's bees products along with 0.1% benzoyl peroxide. I experienced minor flaking with the 0.1% bp but it went away in about a week. Having my whole face crack and peel 24/7 for 5 months is kind of ridiculous. I totally cut down on the BP, I use 1 pump in the morning, and 1 pump at night. I'm definitely going to check out Cetaphil, I've heard awesome things about it. Thanks for the recommendation.

#10 whatthekell

whatthekell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

just be careful exfoliating.... dan does not recommend this. and while i was on the regimen, my skin hated exfoliation. the only thing i could really do was gently rub my face in circles after a shower to get the dead skin off. later on in the regimen i started using baking soda. but that was eventually too irritating..
yogurt masks helped add some moisture back as well.

#11 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

just be careful exfoliating.... dan does not recommend this. and while i was on the regimen, my skin hated exfoliation. the only thing i could really do was gently rub my face in circles after a shower to get the dead skin off. later on in the regimen i started using baking soda. but that was eventually too irritating..
yogurt masks helped add some moisture back as well.

The only type of exfoliation I recommended was the same, gentle circles with a soft washcloth, and is about as harmful to your skin as brushing dirt off your feet. If gentle exfoliation gave you that much irritation, your acid mantle was probably completely stripped, which often happens with overuse of BP, AHA, over-cleansing etc.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that HEALTHY skin should not react to gentle touch with severe irritation.

#12 whatthekell

whatthekell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

yep that's why i had to stop. it was ruined.