Photo

Old Poster With My 2 Cents.

icepick dermabrasion microdermabrasion phenol tca hyperpigmentation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 s500

s500

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hello guys, I havent posted here in aged and today I thought I would write a little considering the amount of troubles I have gone thru to rid my scars.

First I would like to mention I have created majority of my scars myself, if not all, all to fight 2 tiny pic scars that now looking back I think look awesome.

Scarring can really take over your life as it did for me for almost 3 years or more. I feel your pain.

No matter how little your scarring is, it can really cause you some grief.

some facts I learned about scarring.

After your first peel dont attempt to do more, you burn your first layer off, and after that your messing with your actualy skin organ, and you WILL create more scars and larger pores if you do enough.

The top layer of your skin is not replaceble and you take that off with TCA or your choice of acid and will be hard to rebuild.

Your top layer hides all your pores, so keep that in mind when peeling. you scrape that off and your pores will be more visible.

You then will be fighting large pores that are worse then your scarring that you started out fighting and your scarring might look worse initially. But you might be lucky and have them get better.

If I was doing peels, I would do one, and STOP, the more you do will not gain you any enhancements. Consider one every 6 months is more then enough, and after your second I wouldnt touch TCA again as things will not get better.

If your fighting hyperpigmentation consider mild peels that dont go deep, I would you strong creams such as tazorac.

But dont mess with TCA for hyperpigmentation.

Lasers are a scam, no matter how or what laser you tried. You also will guaranteed get more scars, and again wind up fighting scars that you had and new scars, and it turns into cycle and you start wishing you never did anything this harsh to your skin.

Microdermabrasion is great if your fighting hyperpigmentation or wanting a glow to your skin, but dont use this for scars or if you haev scars or if your fighting scars, especially harsh machines such as the powerpeel.

Here is why, if your fighting your scars and you see improvement, the reason your seeing improvement is due to new collagen building over your top layer. This new aollagen is very fragile.
If you have achieved any kind of improvements over the past 6 months of your scarring, DO NOT go get another procedure done, especially microdermabrasion. The new collagen you have worke don building in your last 6 months will get sucked right up, as if t was a layer of butter covering your scar, you will be left with the biggest scar you have yet to see.

Now it will be almost impossible to build that same lawyer of collagen once again over that particular area that you seen improvement in.

So if you see improvement after a procedure, its due to collagen building, I urge you to cherish it and do not tamper with it, it will be very hard to replace and might not be replaced.

If your over 30 and smoke dont mess with too many procedures.

Same goes with if you have a procedure done, whatever it may be, I urge you to excercise in the days after once your able to.

Or, before the procedure be in as best shape possible as you can be in, you will be AMAZED how much this helps when building collagen.

When I say procedure I really mean dermabrasion, not micro, this is probably the only procedure you will gain the most results with. And I wouldnt do it if you have a few icepicks.

Most here are creating more scars, with little warnings, I wouldnt so more then 1 peel and leave this forum, dont even get caught up in this mess people. And dont think because you seen improvement from your first that you will see improvement from more procedures, wrong, the improvements you see will and can be easily wiped away.

Stay away from phenol peels, or exoderm, biggest scam known. Believe me, I went down that road years ago, and spoken to many. It will bring you thru hell, drain your bank account, with 0 improvement, nothing more then what a tca peel can do.

So whats my advise on batteling scars?

1 tca peel and STOP, be in good shape before you do one, what you see in 1 years after is what you will have forever. Yes it can take that long for things to rebuild.

your fat will hide lots of your scarring that your dealing with now, same with if you loose weight, your scarring will be worse.

I wouldnt touch with microdermabrasion or lasers whatso ever, your wasting your time and money and WILL create more scars and will be here for more then what you came in here for.

Dermabrasion is probably the best thing out there, its not as bad as people make it, and I would only do it if your face has several scars.

Do not do a second round, it will not do you any good, keep in mind the dermabrasion itself is not whats helping your scars, no matter how hard the physician scrapes down on a scar, it will not go away. I hope you can visualise this. No matter how hard the physician grinds down on your scar and no matter how tiny your scar is, it will not go away from the dermabrasion, but from the new collagen thats about to build over the area.

Make sure you are well excercised the weeks prior, it makes all the difference.

What upset me from this forum was there wasnt any stickies warning people. And I seen the same mistakes happen over and over.
Espcially with peels, so many people have scarred themselves to suicidal levels from TCA peels. Only do 1 and walk away, thats it.

1 TCA or 1 dermabrasion, dont do it if your smoking, make sure your well in shape, add a good ointment over after the procedure and make sure you sleep very well, its when all the action takes place for new collagen.

Dont mess with microdermabrasions,or lasers, no matter what new garbage is out there, you will only scar yourself more and never do more then one peel per 6 months or a year, you will expose pores that you never seen before and be fighting pores along with scars.

PM me if you have nay questions. This forum should post stickies especially if they see a pattern in people creating more scars with a certain method. Many of you will scar more from hanging out here.

Wishing you all the best and understand you will grow out of what your going thru, it wont be with you for life, the scarring or how you feel about your scarring.

Cheers.

#2 Nope.avi

Nope.avi

You wanna know how I got these scars?

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

Lasers are a scam, no matter how or what laser you tried. You also will guaranteed get more scars, and again wind up fighting scars that you had and new scars, and it turns into cycle and you start wishing you never did anything this harsh to your skin.

Posted Image

#3 jbird12

jbird12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

I don't know how you can warn so strongly against lasers yet support dermabrasion so enthusiastically in the same post. I agree, the weaker erbium lasers are basically useless for any type of real acne scarring but I believe you take on the same risks with an ablative laser and dermabrasion. I would be interested to hear why you believe an ablative laser carries more risk to additional scarring than dermabrasion.

#4 *Inspired*

*Inspired*

Formerly "TokyoGirl"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

Really? How many laser treatments have you undergone? I assume you have experience with being stuck in a vicious cycle of scar treatment and laser led to additional scarring for you. Otherwise, why else would you make such a statement? Please share your personal experience. I'd love to know more.

#5 DRaGZ

DRaGZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

Dermabrasion is actually far more risky than fractional ablative lasers because you take off an entire layer of skin with dermabrasion and it's very bloody, increasing the likelihood of infection. Recovery takes several weeks, and people who aren't white will have a chance of permanent hypopigmentation. And even then, it only affects the top layer of the skin. Most scars go much deeper than that.

There's a reason most places don't do dermabrasions anymore.

#6 jbird12

jbird12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Dermabrasion is actually far more risky than fractional ablative lasers because you take off an entire layer of skin with dermabrasion and it's very bloody, increasing the likelihood of infection. Recovery takes several weeks, and people who aren't white will have a chance of permanent hypopigmentation. And even then, it only affects the top layer of the skin. Most scars go much deeper than that.

There's a reason most places don't do dermabrasions anymore.

And beyond that..I would think a doctor's skill level is much more critical with dermabrasion. I understand you want a skilled doctor with either procedure but if I'm going to have someone literally sanding my face off, I'd hope he/she really knows what they're doing.

#7 DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

I must disagree. As one who has done dermabrasion and regular CO2 resurfacing, and with a few nonsense treatments, fractionalized ablative CO2 is the only treatment I recommend. Dermabrasion and regular CO2 were worthless.

Edited by DudleyDoRight, 31 August 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#8 no_hope

no_hope

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

good post. its definitley good for users to be aware of the concequences and repricaussions on procedures they plan to deal with. alot of what you stated is the same msg i was trying to bring out.
collagan is such a tedious proccess your right on how fragile it is and how easy results can diminish if not careful. I agreee with laser also. so true.

#9 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

Does this apply to dermainfusion silkpeels as well?

http://rebeccafitzge...m/silkpeel.html

Edited by whoartthou1, 05 September 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#10 DRaGZ

DRaGZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

This is basically just a form of microdermabrasion. Regular microdermabrasion sessions are good for improving skin texture, but they don't do anything for scars.

#11 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

Alright, people. Frankly, I've had it with the continuous bickering and name-calling in this forum, basically from the same persons over and over again. I have just removed 13 (!!!) posts, and some of you can expect a warning shortly. Behave yourselves, even if you don't agree with each other. To some of you: if your post was removed, it was because it contained a reply to another -now removed- post. I'm sorry, but reconstructing your replies is just too much work. Feel free to post your on-topic stuff again.

#12 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

This is basically just a form of microdermabrasion. Regular microdermabrasion sessions are good for improving skin texture, but they don't do anything for scars.

ah, ic. So that dermalinfusion silkpeel is not the same as wat the topic starter said, i.e.: "The top layer of your skin is not replaceble and you take that off with TCA or your choice of acid and will be hard to rebuild"
thanks

#13 DRaGZ

DRaGZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

ah, ic. So that dermalinfusion silkpeel is not the same as wat the topic starter said, i.e.: "The top layer of your skin is not replaceble and you take that off with TCA or your choice of acid and will be hard to rebuild"
thanks

But that statement isn't necessarily true either.

#14 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

thanks

Could it be true with microdermabrasion? I.E., the skin permanently loses its protective layer (even after one session)?

#15 DRaGZ

DRaGZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

thanks

Could it be true with microdermabrasion? I.E., the skin permanently loses its protective layer (even after one session)?

That's pretty much impossible.

You would need a treatment that removes literally millimeters of skin all across the affected area. Only real dermabrasion and fully ablative CO2 lasers do that. Microdermabrasion basically removes dead skin cells and smooths out very minor irregularities.

#16 *Inspired*

*Inspired*

Formerly "TokyoGirl"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

There's a pretty big difference between microdermabrasion and dermabrasion.

This is microdermabrasion:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZzLiXqJTs14

This is dermabrasion:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=E1l0b5yEj5Q

The OP pretty much contradicts himself with his advice. Dermabrasion literally sands down your face and removes the top layer that he's advising against. It is a risky procedure.

I've done 5 sessions of microdermabrasion. I actually paid for 10 as part of a package. It does nothing for acne scars.