Photo

Accutane Video Journey

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#1 James9

James9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

Hey, I'm starting an accutane journey and I decided to make a weekly video update on my progress. I decided to do so because I saw somebody else did the same on youtube and their progress was awesome to see. Hopefully I will get a similar turnout as he did. I will link his youtube channel below mine. This is the very first video I have ever really made so the quality and my speaking might not be great but hopefully, like my acne, it will get better week by week. So here's my week 1 video:

#2 James9

James9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

A few photos show my neck acne. A lot of redness... could that be because of the two weeks of accutane so far? should the redness subside? nervous...

#3 RightMeow

RightMeow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

Yay, good for you! Stick it out with the Accutane, it WILL work.

You'll see more dryness within a month and definite clearance within 2 months. In the meantime, maybe you can pinpoint exactly why you breakout on your neck. Do you sleep on your stomach or side? Have you tried switching up your shaving routine?

I have similar issues that you do, except in a different spot. Completely clear on parts of my face, then cysts all along the jawline. I started sleeping on my back instead of my stomach, and my cysts got 50% better.

I'm now on Spironolactone for my acne, we'll see if it works 100%....I wish I could go back on Accutane but I've already been on it 3 times, and it just comes back a year after I stop taking it...and I don't mean to be discouraging! Accutane is great for clearing your skin 100%, but for some people the acne WILL come back once the drug leaves your system, then you need to find alternative ways to maintain the clear skin.

That being said, for some people they can take Accutane once and POOF, cured forever.

#4 James9

James9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the response Posted Image I do sleep on my side... I have tried so hard not to do that but it is the most confortable sleep for me :/ I will really try and not sleep on my face anymore and see what happens. Do you think the accutane will clear me up and that redness on my neck? I'm optimistic but also prepared for the worst :/ I have no idea why I get it so bad on my neck... mystery to me and my derm

Edited by James9, 29 August 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#5 RightMeow

RightMeow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

Oh yes, you'll be clear like a baby's bottom. Trust me..You can always ask your doctor to up you to 40mg a day if you don't see even the slightest difference in a month...but you saying you have abdominal pains at 20mg is a bit worrisome.. so you'll want to discuss it with your doctor.

As far as training yourself to sleep on your back..When I first started I found that I had to put one normal pillow under my knees & one pillow underneath each arm. The arm pillows will help you from turning over in the middle of the night. As far as placement of the pillows. It should make an upside-down U shape with your head pillow... I hope that makes sense, i'm terrible at explaining.

It may look silly at first but it's pretty comfortable, and after a week you can probably take away the arm pillows and just use the pillow under your knees.

If you really really CANNOT sleep on your back, look into changing your laundry detergent if you haven't already. A lot of fabric softeners and irritating detergents can be on your pillow cases, creating breakouts. Also, if you wear collared shirts or polos...the laundry detergent could be the case too because it's touching your neck. I would buy some of the natural detergents, rewash all your clothes and see what it does for you.
You can buy the "Tide Free and Gentle" stuff....it doesn't have any harsh chemicals in it..You may find a big improvement in doing just this.

Edited by RightMeow, 29 August 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#6 James9

James9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

#7 shadylee

shadylee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

hi james! great idea, i'll be following! im on day 19 of accutane, and love to see and hear everyones progress! good luck!

#8 James9

James9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hey :) awesome! Let's do this together!

#9 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

Hey James! Congrats on starting Accutane! I think it is a great idea to be doing a video log! It should really help with tracking your progress.
I understand why neck acne would be just as terrible as facial acne. No one wants bumps and lumps on their bodies. Hopefully there is no issues with your liver this time around! I look forward to seeing your progress. By the way I wouldn't say your acne is a 9 out of 10 or 10 out of 10. I would say it is around 6 out of 10. Don't be so down about yourself. You are going to heal up nicely! Hang in there.

#10 poptartie

poptartie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

x

Edited by poptartie, 15 December 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#11 James9

James9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the support and suggestions. I will adress them in the next video :)

#12 James9

James9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

redness going down a litte bit?

#13 James9

James9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

!

@beelazek

Edited by James9, 07 September 2012 - 11:52 PM.

#14 James9

James9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

Some updated pictures showing redness (and dryness) : Should it go away after accutane?

photo-27.JPG

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated

Edited by James9, 08 September 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#15 Guest_*Spiro*_*

Guest_*Spiro*_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

Hey!! My name is Betsy by the way :) Your video was sweet, I'm glad I can be of some use and give some advice and encouragement. I think it is needed while being on this medication. I know I have needed kind words and support more times than I would like to admit. I'm on my 6th month now and have been through all the common side effects so is you have any questions or need support seriously just ask. Private message me or go to my log whatever :)

So I think your neck is looking so much better already! The redness is common and should subside after you come off accutane. I have face flushing around my cheeks and nose, worse some days and better the other. This medication is weird. Glad to hear your blood results came back good! Great news! Have to tell you, your smile is great! Keep on keeping on and stay positive and smiling and time will fly by and those neck cysts will be a thing of the past!

#16 James9

James9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

You're awesome. Thank you so much. I'll message you right now, because I do have a couple questions about side effects.

Edited by James9, 08 September 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#17 poptartie

poptartie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

!

Edited by poptartie, 15 December 2012 - 07:30 PM.

#18 James9

James9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

the mirror trick in the car only works at night haha maybe it's just my car. I don't think I could ever give up ice cream either! And YES after I shower I feel like everything gets more red, it's really annoying, but just trying to stay patient. And I'm anything but composed on the inside, I do my best to act as confident as possible but on the inside I am very very insecure about my acne :/ I just feel more confident talking to other people with acne because I feel like I'm not being judged, like other places where I have a constant fear of being looked down upon because of my cycts and acne. Thanks for the response :)

#19 James9

James9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:41 AM

Here are a few more updated pictures using the flash on my phone. Easier to see all the acne and dryness this way. Sorry for the overload of pictures, I just want to show my acne at its very worst so I can see improvement later on. There are cysts and nodules that are un noticable in other pics. You can kind of see them more clearly in these pictures.

Right side of face: Can see cysts coming in on the neck. Painful. :/

Left side of face: Small cysts forming

Under chin: Can see a big nodule and a few small cysts coming in. The bald spot is a big nodule under skin.

Front of face: Can see some dryness around the mouth and my initial breakout coming in on the forehead
photo-31.JPG

Edited by James9, 10 September 2012 - 12:42 AM.

#20 eddy_if

eddy_if

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:56 AM

Hi James, I am on accutane too, but really low dose . Only 10mg on Mon, Wed, Fri, and 20mg Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

So far, how's your improvement ?

I think if the acne only on your neck,maybe it related on the shaving tool you use, maybe you can change the shaving tool, or you can shave slowly

The irritation that you have from shaving, can lead you to cystic acne if treat improperly.

You can give attention to the food you eat daily, maybe the food factor makes that too

Try to drink more since you are on accutane, no alcohol, no junk food ( I think you know this early Posted Image )

Anyway success for your journey

Oh yeah I forgot to tell you about Folliculitis. Have you find in the google about this one, since the symtomp look like acne. I found picture in the google that look like your neck when I search "Folliculitis on the neck" . The acne on your neck itchy ?

Edited by eddy_if, 10 September 2012 - 07:04 AM.