Photo

Retin-A .1% Micro Not Clearing 100% (8 Months Of Use)

retin-a acne cheek young woman retinoids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 cactuscalypso

cactuscalypso

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 31
About Me

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum but, I would really like some help with my skin. So, really quickly about my skin's background.... I have dry to normal skin and have never had a problem with acne until sophomore year of highschool. I would get one large cyst once a week or so and then it just started to snowball. At that point I had tried lots of scripts such as; Differin, Acanya, clindamycen. When I was a freshman in college I finally decided to see the dermatologist again in frustration because it seemed like things kept getting worse and worse. She then prescribed my doxy and retina .05% cream and was on that for 5 months and then switched off doxy and to retina .1% micro. Side note i've been on birth control for something like two years. neither of my parents nor grandparents have had acne, seriously no one in my close or distant family has acne. I exercise 3-4 times a week, eat really healthy, wash my face two times a day, use cerave mosturizer and retin-A at night. So, what's the deal? I'm a 20 year old woman and it seems that it's the time when hormonal acne dies down.... I don't know what to do I still get zits, not as bad as before but, this strange thing is now happening were I'll get a zit and I won't touch it or anything but, it becomes this permanent zit/scar. (sorry huge run-on sentence). Go to my profile to see my journey thus far but, i'll post a photo of how it was at its worst and then now... My dermatologist has recommended accutane but, I REALLY don't want to do that. Opinion, suggestions, advice would be MUCCCHHH APPRECIATEDDDD!

XOXO
frustrated person

Attached Thumbnails

• 120226-230634.jpg
  • 120828-131435.jpg
  • 120828-131501.jpg
  • 120226-230639.jpg

#2 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

holy shit what a transformation.

If thats your skin right now (top right, bottom left) then your skin is clear. Seriously. This is a VERY common theme among acne sufferers. You are so used to how bad your skin was and you are emotionally scarred, that when your skin is 99.9% clear like yours is, you just cant see it that way and every.little.flaw you see, is tragic.

Continue doing EXACTLY what you are doing with your skin regimen, and go live your life with clear skin. Seriously. Smile! Your clear!

#3 JenniferElizabeth

JenniferElizabeth

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

WOW Your skin looks amazing. I am also using retin-a micro 0.1% and even though it's only been 2 months I am slowly seeing results. I've been reading a lot of reviews and things like that online and it seems like the skin is very fragile for the first few months up to even a year or more, so I think what might look like scars and redness now will eventually heal. I think you just need to give it more time maybe, I read online somewhere about a girl who used retin-a and didn't see results until after a year and she made it seem like the whole year leading up to that was brutal. I'm trying to keep that in mind myself and be patient, but it's hard. You really do look great though, you're making me feel very optimistic! lol And also I'm 26 years old and still dealing with acne so yeah I know how you feel, it sucks! I have friends my age who are also still dealing with acne, don't worry you're not alone! Retin-a looks like a cure for you, I wish I had found it when I was only 20.

Also, I use exfoliating gloves very gently on my face in the shower. I find that it helps my red marks heal faster and even out texture over time.

Edited by JenniferElizabeth, 28 August 2012 - 11:06 PM.

#4 RoseLilium

RoseLilium

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:35 AM

your skin transformation is truly amazing! Congratulations! Your skin looks so beautiful and clear now, I am so happy for you! Don't worry too much about the itty bitty imperfections, they are seriously nothing. You look great! I am so inspired by your post.

I am very encouraged by your progress, as I just finished four months, and was feeling rather discouraged because progress seems stagnant lately. But looking at your pictures give me great hope

#5 cactuscalypso

cactuscalypso

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 31
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

THANKS EVERYONE! yeah my skin reacted very slowly to the regimen and felt very hopeless for most of the process because it happens so slowly when you are the person looking in the mirror everyday. I'm so glad my pictures could help people see what retin-A can do. I can't believe it's inspired you two! god that's so cool! I seriously never would of thought that I would here that!!! HA thanks never give up especially with retin-a I think it's one of the best acne fighters out there! Good luck you guys and yeah it really sucks having acne in your twenties... but, stick with retin-a and I think it will clear up !

retina+doxy regimen

retina+doxy regimen

also here are more images that show the texture of my skin better... Through the purging process I was getting zits in places I thought didn't have any. It was crazy aand overwhelming.

#6 m1m1m

m1m1m

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

Wow, can I just say...
I've been on Retin A micro for about a month and a half, and am in the midst of WAR WITH MY FACE, RED, FLAKEY, CYSTIC, TERRIBLE...
and this just gave me so much faith in sticking with it and so much hope, that after this, I might finally be clear like you are.
please believe me when i say, your skin looks beautiful!Posted Image

#7 veryfrustrated

veryfrustrated

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

Your skin is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!

I started using retin-a cream .1% around June 16th...so it has been about 3 months now. I had the initial purge which I stuck out. My skin was slowly getting better week to week....if I had a break out it would only last a day or two.

About 2 weeks ago I started getting horrible outbreaks on the bottom of my chin/jawline. They are tiny little pimples with white heads that don't want to go away themselves or pop. I don't know what to do, is it normal to have outbreaks during month 3?

I use a soap free face wash and cetaphil moisturizer. I started using BP 5% in the mornings to fight the bacteria. It doesn't seem to be helping at all.

I wash my face at night, wait 30 - 45 minutes for my face to dry...and then apply a pea sized amount of retin-a on my finger and dot it onto my forehead, cheeks and chin and rub it into my skin as the instructions tell you to do.

I know it takes time but I am just so over feeling like a monster when I go outside.

When can I give up on retin-a and try something else?

#8 JenniferElizabeth

JenniferElizabeth

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

Your skin is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!

I started using retin-a cream .1% around June 16th...so it has been about 3 months now. I had the initial purge which I stuck out. My skin was slowly getting better week to week....if I had a break out it would only last a day or two.

About 2 weeks ago I started getting horrible outbreaks on the bottom of my chin/jawline. They are tiny little pimples with white heads that don't want to go away themselves or pop. I don't know what to do, is it normal to have outbreaks during month 3?

I use a soap free face wash and cetaphil moisturizer. I started using BP 5% in the mornings to fight the bacteria. It doesn't seem to be helping at all.

I wash my face at night, wait 30 - 45 minutes for my face to dry...and then apply a pea sized amount of retin-a on my finger and dot it onto my forehead, cheeks and chin and rub it into my skin as the instructions tell you to do.

I know it takes time but I am just so over feeling like a monster when I go outside.

When can I give up on retin-a and try something else?

I've been using retin-a micro for 10 weeks now, I use the 0.1% and right now my face is doing really well, I had one zit last week and that's it. I'm not sure why you seem to be breaking out but I'll just share what I do. I use a lot of retin-a, like a big glob of it and I mix it with moisturizer and apply it right after I wash my face. I saw a video that was talking about retin-a and how using a moisturizer with glycerin is good because it reaches deep in the skin to moisturize and helps prevent the skin cells from sticking together and clogging pores, so that's why I mix it with the retin-a. I guess I think that maybe it helps the retin-a reach as deeply in the skin as possible. I also think that gently exfoliating and removing the dead skin is really important because if there is dead skin the product isn't going to reach inside the pores properly. I've read a few times now people saying that the retin-a was working at first but then it just stopped, I think it's because there's too much dead skin blocking the pore. I could be completely wrong but that's just what I'm guessing. I use exfoliating gloves in the morning in the shower because it's easy but I guess you could do whatever you want as long as it's not painful. Some ingredients in scrubs are irritating to me, but that's just me. My face is still a little red and it peels a lot but I'm not breaking out now I just have red marks so I'll take it, it's a lot better than before. I hope this helps.