Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

onefatalgoose

Distilled Water From Grocery Store

23 posts in this topic

Didn't realize they sold this. Found gallons of it for $0.99 each

For anyone else looking for a way to get pure water, but don't have the time or money for distillation or any other method of de-fluoridation...this is a very inexpensive option

2 people like this

80%-20% Alkaline forming vs Acid forming Diet

`Organic~
I don't consume:
*Dairy
*Whole grains
*Refined sugars
*Table salt
*Vegetable oils
*Processed/Fast foods
*Genetically Modified Foods (GMOs)
As well as the pesticides/herbicides that come with them

My philosophy: Less externally, more internally

Even taking long hot showers in chemically treated tap water is too harsh for acne prone skin

(And that's without a face wash)

This site is absolutely loaded with info on curing acne internally

The kind I got is called Ideal Pure Water Distilled Water. There was also a grocery store brand. Smart Water is also distilled, but i believe it's more expensive

Also I found it at Baker's in the bottled water/pop section. I'm not sure if Baker's is a nation wide store, but i'm sure other grocery stores stock it. I've just never looked because i didn't think it would be something a grocery store would stock

`Organic~
I don't consume:
*Dairy
*Whole grains
*Refined sugars
*Table salt
*Vegetable oils
*Processed/Fast foods

Even taking long hot showers in chemically treated tap water is too harsh for acne prone skin

Whole foods has machines that do an ultra purification process for .39 a gallon. They per filter, reverse osmosis then use a deionization process.

1 person likes this

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

Whole foods has machines that do an ultra purification process for .39 a gallon. They per filter, reverse osmosis then use a deionization process.

Awesome. Didn't know that either

`Organic~
I don't consume:
*Dairy
*Whole grains
*Refined sugars
*Table salt
*Vegetable oils
*Processed/Fast foods

My family just filles up the 4 gallon water tank with the distilled, ionized, and all that purified water at Dominick. Around 3 bucks total.

1 person likes this

Didn't realize they sold this. Found gallons of it for $0.99 each

For anyone else looking for a way to get pure water, but don't have the time or money for distillation or any other method of de-fluoridation...this is a very inexpensive option

So distilled water is free of fluoride? Is it free of chlorine? Don't know much about distillation. I have been using bottled spring water, but would gladly switch to something cheaper.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

GreenGables

Well, the boiling point of sodium fluoride (which is what is added to water supplies) is 3,083 degrees F. Chlorine, on the other hand, seems to have a very low boiling point. Much lower than water, so it would seem to me that the chlorine would also vaporize and re-dissolve in the water as it condenses. But apparently running the distilled water through a carbon filter (like say a brita water pitcher) eliminates most if not all the chlorine. Also pesticides and herbicides have low boiling points, and need a carbon filter as well.

I'm still learning about all of this, but here's a helpful article

http://www.purewaterproducts.com/articles/carbon

There's also great debate over long term consumption of distilled water, and after everything i've read so far...it seems like alot of hype. I've found nothing that shows me that consuming distilled water is unhealthy. I've found numerous websites saying distilled water isn't good for you, and just as many claiming that it is fine. My conclusion: it's fine

`Organic~
I don't consume:
*Dairy
*Whole grains
*Refined sugars
*Table salt
*Vegetable oils
*Processed/Fast foods

I just started using distilled water in a spray bottle to wash/rinse my face, and apply epsom salts or apple cider vinegar.

I didn't buy any to drink, but I bought some water that's fluoride-free. There were actually a few fluoride-free brands.

Chlorine will evaporate out at room temp. That's why you should fill a pitcher and leave it sit for a while before watering plants.

2 people like this

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

Awesome, good to know. Crazy how low it's boiling point is. You usually associate boiling with being very hot, so it's weird to think about

`Organic~
I don't consume:
*Dairy
*Whole grains
*Refined sugars
*Table salt
*Vegetable oils
*Processed/Fast foods

Found out they don't sell it at wal mart, so don't bother looking there. Your best bet is to check your local grocery store, or like alternativista suggested, to go to whole foods and have it done for you. You may be able to order it by the gallon online as well. I'm not sure if that's an option, or if it's even practical

`Organic~
I don't consume:
*Dairy
*Whole grains
*Refined sugars
*Table salt
*Vegetable oils
*Processed/Fast foods

Found out they don't sell it at wal mart, so don't bother looking there. Your best bet is to check your local grocery store, or like alternativista suggested, to go to whole foods and have it done for you. You may be able to order it by the gallon online as well. I'm not sure if that's an option, or if it's even practical

They do indeed sell gallons of distilled water at many Walmarts, including my own.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Distilled-Water-1-gal/10315382

1 person likes this

So I've been drinking distilled water for about a month as an experiment. I notice I don't feel dehydrated anymore. Before I could drink a gallon of filtered (brita) water throughout the day, and would wake up dehydrated. I also felt thirsty almost all the time. It was worst in the morning, where I felt pretty dehydrated, and it felt like my back hurt. Blood tests are all great, so I figured it was just something I'd have to deal with due to me being at the statistical short end of the lingering tane side effect stick, despite only being on it a month.

I can honestly say all those symptoms are gone! Could just be placebo, but I prefer to drink the purest water I can get anyway. The whole mineral arguement is stupid, since there's just trace amounts in the water from the tap. Much easier to get RDAs from food.

3 people like this

They do indeed sell gallons of distilled water at many Walmarts, including my own.

http://www.walmart.c...-1-gal/10315382

Oh really? Awesome. My walmart must just suck

`Organic~
I don't consume:
*Dairy
*Whole grains
*Refined sugars
*Table salt
*Vegetable oils
*Processed/Fast foods

So i went back to walmart and sure enough, they have distilled water. Totally missed it when i was there last

`Organic~
I don't consume:
*Dairy
*Whole grains
*Refined sugars
*Table salt
*Vegetable oils
*Processed/Fast foods

So I've been drinking distilled water for about a month as an experiment. I notice I don't feel dehydrated anymore. Before I could drink a gallon of filtered (brita) water throughout the day, and would wake up dehydrated. I also felt thirsty almost all the time. It was worst in the morning, where I felt pretty dehydrated, and it felt like my back hurt. Blood tests are all great, so I figured it was just something I'd have to deal with due to me being at the statistical short end of the lingering tane side effect stick, despite only being on it a month.

I can honestly say all those symptoms are gone! Could just be placebo, but I prefer to drink the purest water I can get anyway. The whole mineral arguement is stupid, since there's just trace amounts in the water from the tap. Much easier to get RDAs from food.

It's been about a month for me and no change. I feel thirsty all the time too. And no change in energy. I haven't taken my temp to see if it has perhaps improved my thyroid.

I don't think the difference between distilled and non-distilled is going to help acne a lot. I tried searching the web for other feedback on this and didn't get any concrete results.

Yulia)

I don't think the difference between distilled and non-distilled is going to help acne a lot. I tried searching the web for other feedback on this and didn't get any concrete results.

Yulia)

We are trying to improve thyroid function. And to rid our bodies of toxic minerals like flouride.

As far as the thirst thing goes, it makes sense that distilled water would not be as satisfying as spring water.

Although in many senses something like Gatorade is a horrible drink for you, it's true that after a really hard athletic workout, I simply could not get rehydrated with water. I would drink gallons of it and still feel parched. If I drank Gatorade or a juice mix that had some salt and other minerals in it, I could actually retain the water I drank.

One difference between distilled water and spring water is mineral content. Distilled water is the product of distillation, meaning the original water source has been converted into steam and then cooled down until it condenses into its final distilled form. This means heavy minerals and metals such as salt and iron do not generally survive the conversion to steam and are left behind as residue. Distilled water contains only scant traces of the minerals contained in natural spring water and other water sources.

There is also a definite difference in taste between distilled water and spring water. Because distilled water contains little to no minerals, many people find it to have a very astringent mouthfeel compared to spring water. Distilled water can be less satisfying than bottled spring water when used to rehydrate following or during exercise, primarily because it tends to draw essential minerals out of the body's tissues in order to restore the electrolyte balance. Spring water tends to have a "wetter" mouthfeel, which makes it a better choice to carry while exercising.

Many people use distilled water and spring water for different purposes. Distilled water is ideal for steam irons and steam cleaners because it does not contain the minerals and metals which cause rust or clogging. Some people also prefer to wash clothes in distilled water because it is considered purer than tap water or even spring water. Some dieters drink distilled water because of its alleged effects on the body's natural acidic levels and electrolyte balance. Distilled water can help restore a more alkaline blood chemistry and is free of impurities which can build up over months or years.

Spring water is generally used for re-hydration, cooking, and beverage making. It may be more expensive than other forms of bottled water, but the taste of natural spring water is said to be superior to standard tap or drinking water, which may be distilled water enhanced with minerals. Spring water is rarely used in household applications such as steaming or sanitizing because the natural minerals are not removed during the bottling process. Spring water has simply been extracted from an underground source which has not reached the surface before bottling takes place.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

GreenGables

I hear you Green Gables, and it's a good point in regards to loss of electrolytes. I think a good solution for that is to simply add them back. I try to add an 1/8 of a teaspoon of celtic sea salt to each liter of distilled water i drink. I also open up a coral calcium/magnesium pill and pour the contents into the liter of water as well. The celtic sea salt has many trace minerals in it, so it'd be a great way by itself to get electrolytes back into the water.

I remember reading that even spring water can still have fluoride in it. I haven't researched spring water at all, so i'm not sure in regards to the merits of that claim.

But for sure, adding back the electrolytes using a quality sea salt/supplement is an option for distilled water drinkers. And probably one that should be pursued

It's been about a month for me and no change. I feel thirsty all the time too. And no change in energy. I haven't taken my temp to see if it has perhaps improved my thyroid.

`Organic~
I don't consume:
*Dairy
*Whole grains
*Refined sugars
*Table salt
*Vegetable oils
*Processed/Fast foods

I hear you Green Gables, and it's a good point in regards to loss of electrolytes. I think a good solution for that is to simply add them back. I try to add an 1/8 of a teaspoon of celtic sea salt to each liter of distilled water i drink. I also open up a coral calcium/magnesium pill and pour the contents into the liter of water as well. The celtic sea salt has many trace minerals in it, so it'd be a great way by itself to get electrolytes back into the water.

I remember reading that even spring water can still have fluoride in it. I haven't researched spring water at all, so i'm not sure in regards to the merits of that claim.

But for sure, adding back the electrolytes using a quality sea salt/supplement is an option for distilled water drinkers. And probably one that should be pursued

Have you tried adding electrolytes to the water alternativista? Green Gables made a good point about electrolytes and the lack of them in distilled water. I know you're a proponent of celtic sea salt, so i'm wondering if you'd feel better adding something like an 1/8 of a teaspoon of the salt to a liter of water. I know there are loads of trace minerals in celtic sea salt, so maybe that's all you'd need to do

I haven't added it to the water. Just been increasing my salt intake. I add it to my bone broth along with the kelp flakes, for example.

Have you tried adding electrolytes to the water alternativista? Green Gables made a good point about electrolytes and the lack of them in distilled water. I know you're a proponent of celtic sea salt, so i'm wondering if you'd feel better adding something like an 1/8 of a teaspoon of the salt to a liter of water. I know there are loads of trace minerals in celtic sea salt, so maybe that's all you'd need to do

I haven't added it to the water. Just been increasing my salt intake. I add it to my bone broth along with the kelp flakes, for example. And I drink most of my water in the form of teas which add some minerals. I've not looked it up to see whats in hibiscus and mint.

As far as the thirst thing goes, it makes sense that distilled water would not be as satisfying as spring water.

Although in many senses something like Gatorade is a horrible drink for you, it's true that after a really hard athletic workout, I simply could not get rehydrated with water. I would drink gallons of it and still feel parched. If I drank Gatorade or a juice mix that had some salt and other minerals in it, I could actually retain the water

My thirst thing isn't new. I have always felt that way. And Tim stated that he felt less dehydrated since switching to distilled water.