Photo

Distilled Water From Grocery Store

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

Didn't realize they sold this. Found gallons of it for $0.99 each

For anyone else looking for a way to get pure water, but don't have the time or money for distillation or any other method of de-fluoridation...this is a very inexpensive option

#2 okiedokie123

okiedokie123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

Kinda new to the whole water thing, but what is this brand of distilled water and what store? I have been buying bottled water...

#3 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

The kind I got is called Ideal Pure Water Distilled Water. There was also a grocery store brand. Smart Water is also distilled, but i believe it's more expensive

Also I found it at Baker's in the bottled water/pop section. I'm not sure if Baker's is a nation wide store, but i'm sure other grocery stores stock it. I've just never looked because i didn't think it would be something a grocery store would stock

#4 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Whole foods has machines that do an ultra purification process for .39 a gallon. They per filter, reverse osmosis then use a deionization process.

#5 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Whole foods has machines that do an ultra purification process for .39 a gallon. They per filter, reverse osmosis then use a deionization process.

Awesome. Didn't know that either

#6 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:57 AM

My family just filles up the 4 gallon water tank with the distilled, ionized, and all that purified water at Dominick. Around 3 bucks total.

#7 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Didn't realize they sold this. Found gallons of it for $0.99 each

For anyone else looking for a way to get pure water, but don't have the time or money for distillation or any other method of de-fluoridation...this is a very inexpensive option

So distilled water is free of fluoride? Is it free of chlorine? Don't know much about distillation. I have been using bottled spring water, but would gladly switch to something cheaper.

#8 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

Well, the boiling point of sodium fluoride (which is what is added to water supplies) is 3,083 degrees F. Chlorine, on the other hand, seems to have a very low boiling point. Much lower than water, so it would seem to me that the chlorine would also vaporize and re-dissolve in the water as it condenses. But apparently running the distilled water through a carbon filter (like say a brita water pitcher) eliminates most if not all the chlorine. Also pesticides and herbicides have low boiling points, and need a carbon filter as well.

I'm still learning about all of this, but here's a helpful article

http://www.purewater...articles/carbon

There's also great debate over long term consumption of distilled water, and after everything i've read so far...it seems like alot of hype. I've found nothing that shows me that consuming distilled water is unhealthy. I've found numerous websites saying distilled water isn't good for you, and just as many claiming that it is fine. My conclusion: it's fine

#9 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

I just started using distilled water in a spray bottle to wash/rinse my face, and apply epsom salts or apple cider vinegar.

I didn't buy any to drink, but I bought some water that's fluoride-free. There were actually a few fluoride-free brands.

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

Chlorine will evaporate out at room temp. That's why you should fill a pitcher and leave it sit for a while before watering plants.

#11 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

Awesome, good to know. Crazy how low it's boiling point is. You usually associate boiling with being very hot, so it's weird to think about

#12 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

Found out they don't sell it at wal mart, so don't bother looking there. Your best bet is to check your local grocery store, or like alternativista suggested, to go to whole foods and have it done for you. You may be able to order it by the gallon online as well. I'm not sure if that's an option, or if it's even practical

#13 tritonxiv

tritonxiv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

Found out they don't sell it at wal mart, so don't bother looking there. Your best bet is to check your local grocery store, or like alternativista suggested, to go to whole foods and have it done for you. You may be able to order it by the gallon online as well. I'm not sure if that's an option, or if it's even practical

They do indeed sell gallons of distilled water at many Walmarts, including my own.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Distilled-Water-1-gal/10315382

#14 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

So I've been drinking distilled water for about a month as an experiment. I notice I don't feel dehydrated anymore. Before I could drink a gallon of filtered (brita) water throughout the day, and would wake up dehydrated. I also felt thirsty almost all the time. It was worst in the morning, where I felt pretty dehydrated, and it felt like my back hurt. Blood tests are all great, so I figured it was just something I'd have to deal with due to me being at the statistical short end of the lingering tane side effect stick, despite only being on it a month.

I can honestly say all those symptoms are gone! Could just be placebo, but I prefer to drink the purest water I can get anyway. The whole mineral arguement is stupid, since there's just trace amounts in the water from the tap. Much easier to get RDAs from food.

#15 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

They do indeed sell gallons of distilled water at many Walmarts, including my own.

http://www.walmart.c...-1-gal/10315382

Oh really? Awesome. My walmart must just suck

#16 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

So i went back to walmart and sure enough, they have distilled water. Totally missed it when i was there last

#17 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

So I've been drinking distilled water for about a month as an experiment. I notice I don't feel dehydrated anymore. Before I could drink a gallon of filtered (brita) water throughout the day, and would wake up dehydrated. I also felt thirsty almost all the time. It was worst in the morning, where I felt pretty dehydrated, and it felt like my back hurt. Blood tests are all great, so I figured it was just something I'd have to deal with due to me being at the statistical short end of the lingering tane side effect stick, despite only being on it a month.

I can honestly say all those symptoms are gone! Could just be placebo, but I prefer to drink the purest water I can get anyway. The whole mineral arguement is stupid, since there's just trace amounts in the water from the tap. Much easier to get RDAs from food.

It's been about a month for me and no change. I feel thirsty all the time too. And no change in energy. I haven't taken my temp to see if it has perhaps improved my thyroid.

#18 johndoe1181

johndoe1181

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

I don't think the difference between distilled and non-distilled is going to help acne a lot. I tried searching the web for other feedback on this and didn't get any concrete results.

Yulia)

#19 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

I don't think the difference between distilled and non-distilled is going to help acne a lot. I tried searching the web for other feedback on this and didn't get any concrete results.

Yulia)

We are trying to improve thyroid function. And to rid our bodies of toxic minerals like flouride.

#20 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

As far as the thirst thing goes, it makes sense that distilled water would not be as satisfying as spring water.

Although in many senses something like Gatorade is a horrible drink for you, it's true that after a really hard athletic workout, I simply could not get rehydrated with water. I would drink gallons of it and still feel parched. If I drank Gatorade or a juice mix that had some salt and other minerals in it, I could actually retain the water I drank.

One difference between distilled water and spring water is mineral content. Distilled water is the product of distillation, meaning the original water source has been converted into steam and then cooled down until it condenses into its final distilled form. This means heavy minerals and metals such as salt and iron do not generally survive the conversion to steam and are left behind as residue. Distilled water contains only scant traces of the minerals contained in natural spring water and other water sources.

There is also a definite difference in taste between distilled water and spring water. Because distilled water contains little to no minerals, many people find it to have a very astringent mouthfeel compared to spring water. Distilled water can be less satisfying than bottled spring water when used to rehydrate following or during exercise, primarily because it tends to draw essential minerals out of the body's tissues in order to restore the electrolyte balance. Spring water tends to have a "wetter" mouthfeel, which makes it a better choice to carry while exercising.

Many people use distilled water and spring water for different purposes. Distilled water is ideal for steam irons and steam cleaners because it does not contain the minerals and metals which cause rust or clogging. Some people also prefer to wash clothes in distilled water because it is considered purer than tap water or even spring water. Some dieters drink distilled water because of its alleged effects on the body's natural acidic levels and electrolyte balance. Distilled water can help restore a more alkaline blood chemistry and is free of impurities which can build up over months or years.

Spring water is generally used for re-hydration, cooking, and beverage making. It may be more expensive than other forms of bottled water, but the taste of natural spring water is said to be superior to standard tap or drinking water, which may be distilled water enhanced with minerals. Spring water is rarely used in household applications such as steaming or sanitizing because the natural minerals are not removed during the bottling process. Spring water has simply been extracted from an underground source which has not reached the surface before bottling takes place.

and

sodium in the body is ionized. The nature of the water molecule is such that it too has negative polarity on the Oxygen molecule and positive polarity on the hydrogen molecules. When sodium is introduced to water, the water molecules will trap it with the hydrogen molecules surrounding the Na molecule.

That is pure chemistry background from HS science but with that said:

If the 'distilled water' has NO MINERALS, NO SODIUM, etc in it and your 'Spring Water' does have minerals and possibly sodium (or any other ionic compounds) then it would stand to reason that Distilled water would be better at flushing out sodium so you would feel more dehydrated

Distilled water, if consumed, can flush out minerals such as calcium and magnesium out of the body tissue. This is caused due to osmosis - dissolved minerals moving from area of higher concentration to the area of lower concentration.

And I'm proabably preaching to the choir here...but not all things marked spring water are actually spring water...such as Aquafina...

Anyway you guys have inspired me to get a big pack of spring water and drink it as much as possible. I can't be 100%, definitely will still be using drinking fountains and such, and I probably won't be able to have a bottle of spring water on me at all times. But I'll see if the amount I do use makes a difference and report back Posted Image

Edited by Green Gables, 08 September 2012 - 06:25 PM.