Photo

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder And Acne!

ocd adult acne skin sad depressed blackheads pores pimples

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#21 Lapis lazuli

Lapis lazuli

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:18 AM

Whats BDD, can you explain that?

http://en.wikipedia....orphic_disorder

#22 whatthekell

whatthekell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:20 AM

Thanks for sharing your story, must be hard...last two days I have calmed down. I take a stress multivitamin and it has relaxed me alot....Whats BDD, can you explain that? Do you take meds to help you?

body dysmorphic disorder. you focus on something you perceive is wrong with yourself and obsess over it and will go to extreme measures to correct it. or in our cases, "acne dysmorphia" the smallest breakout seems like the end of the world to us. we will spend hours in the bathroom constantly checking for new pimples, using any reflective surface as a mirror to check our face. we will hide in our room if we get a pimple. it's all we think about. we feel like it's all people see when they look at us. we spend hours and hours trying to find a solution. we pick our skin to shreds thinking it helps, only making it worse.
sound like anything you do? =P
my psychiatrist first put me on Celexa for depression, anxiety, and OCD. but i had some sexual side effects with that drug, so he thought combining it with Wellbutrin might combat the side effect. but then i turned into a nervous wreck and cried for no reason. so he weaned me off the drugs completely and then tried Wellbutrin just by itself, and this seems to be the trick! i can't remember the last time i cried.
i'm supposed to be seeing a therapist too, but i'm in the middle of moving and about to start accutane, so i'm kind of watching my spending. but i definitely plan on going to one very soon because i know i need to.
if you ever need to talk i have 15 yrs experience of the skin issues and 26 yrs of OCD.

Edited by whatthekell, 31 August 2012 - 05:21 AM.

#23 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

I could seriously relate. I had my first break out about 8 years ago. My face was pretty much all covered with horrible cysts, pustules, or whiteheads. I went through many different kinds of treatments and as time goes by, my face improves a lot. I mean, my face isn't perfect. It's covered with clogged pores all the time and sometimes they turn into actual pimples. But I think my emotions got a lot worse. I avoid lights, and MIRRORS! I would deliberately cover the mirror with something so that I would be able to see my face clearly. I only turn on my desk lamp at home. And if... I notice one (or a few) imperfections on my face, I would literally panic. I feel like I couldn't get my mind off this. I am preoccupied with my skin condition and it's crazy. I could spend a whole day just thinking about my skin and the number of clogged pores I have. This is driving me crazy.

I also have the urge to pick them whenever I see them too. Sigh.

Hugs mate, I can really relate.....def sounds like a form of OCD.
Have you gone to someone to talk about it? I did, paid alot and didnt achieve anything....
I talk on here and to a couple of close mates about how I feel and that helps.

Thanks for sharing your story, must be hard...last two days I have calmed down. I take a stress multivitamin and it has relaxed me alot....Whats BDD, can you explain that? Do you take meds to help you?

body dysmorphic disorder. you focus on something you perceive is wrong with yourself and obsess over it and will go to extreme measures to correct it. or in our cases, "acne dysmorphia" the smallest breakout seems like the end of the world to us. we will spend hours in the bathroom constantly checking for new pimples, using any reflective surface as a mirror to check our face. we will hide in our room if we get a pimple. it's all we think about. we feel like it's all people see when they look at us. we spend hours and hours trying to find a solution. we pick our skin to shreds thinking it helps, only making it worse.
my psychiatrist first put me on Celexa for depression, anxiety, and OCD. but i had some sexual side effects with that drug, so he thought combining it with Wellbutrin might combat the side effect. but then i turned into a nervous wreck and cried for no reason. so he weaned me off the drugs completely and then tried Wellbutrin just by itself, and this seems to be the trick! i can't remember the last time i cried.
i'm supposed to be seeing a therapist too, but i'm in the middle of moving and about to start accutane, so i'm kind of watching my spending. but i definitely plan on going to one very soon because i know i need to.
if you ever need to talk i have 15 yrs experience of the skin issues and 26 yrs of OCD.

What the kell, is ocd less serious than BDD? Maybe I have that....thanks for sharing your story and if others writing on this post about their ocd issues, maybe you can give some advice..... its hard isnt it....the whole acne thing.

#24 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

I have been freakin out the past couple days about my skin. Any bad change, even if it's minor, puts me over the edge.i just don't know how I can live a normal life when every fucking thought is consumed by my skin. My day, and now my life and is literally revolved around my fucking skin

#25 Clearwaters

Clearwaters

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

I tell you what's the cruel irony of all this....that the stress and obsession of having skin issues turns out to be the worst skin-killer of all. It's a vicious cycle - bad skin > stress > worse skin > further stress My skin is oilier and more red by far when I'm stressed as opposed to when relaxed. The new age peeps are onto something when they talk of the power of acceptance.

#26 bparker58

bparker58

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

Thanks! No, I didn't tell other people about my nasty OCD. I OCD about my skin condition secretly.
I remember I had acne problem before too and I was pretty chill about it.
I just wish my life isn't controlled by this damn thing.

#27 whatthekell

whatthekell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

I could seriously relate. I had my first break out about 8 years ago. My face was pretty much all covered with horrible cysts, pustules, or whiteheads. I went through many different kinds of treatments and as time goes by, my face improves a lot. I mean, my face isn't perfect. It's covered with clogged pores all the time and sometimes they turn into actual pimples. But I think my emotions got a lot worse. I avoid lights, and MIRRORS! I would deliberately cover the mirror with something so that I would be able to see my face clearly. I only turn on my desk lamp at home. And if... I notice one (or a few) imperfections on my face, I would literally panic. I feel like I couldn't get my mind off this. I am preoccupied with my skin condition and it's crazy. I could spend a whole day just thinking about my skin and the number of clogged pores I have. This is driving me crazy.

Have you gone to someone to talk about it? I did, paid alot and didnt achieve anything....

What the kell, is ocd less serious than BDD? Maybe I have that....thanks for sharing your story and if others writing on this post about their ocd issues, maybe you can give some advice..... its hard isnt it....the whole acne thing.

they're both pretty big mental illnesses and can range from all different levels of severity. i have the type of OCD that i am very organized, to the point i am anxious if something is not in its spot. i have a thing about even numbers, i don't put the volume on odd ones. i have a certain way i do everything. my routine is the same every morning. so i mean i don't think my OCD is that much of an interference...but can get annoying especially to someone who hasn't spent much time around me. i'd say the OCD with my skin is the strongest part of my OCD...which BDD is a form of OCD because you're obsessing about your appearance.
but there are still others out there with it worse. some people can't even leave their homes because they fear they're going to get contaminated. i have a friend with trichotillomania. that's a serious form of OCD where you pull your hair out strand by strand, til you're eventually bald. some people that have this even eat their hair.
so like i said, it's got many variations. i've researched OCD a lot=P and acne. but yes, what a pain in the ass!

Edited by whatthekell, 31 August 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#28 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:02 AM

I have been freakin out the past couple days about my skin. Any bad change, even if it's minor, puts me over the edge.i just don't know how I can live a normal life when every fucking thought is consumed by my skin. My day, and now my life and is literally revolved around my fucking skin

Try having this for years n years...since I was about 14 and I am now 31....
You kinda get to the point where its like./.. F**** WHEN IS THIS GOING TO END.......

they're both pretty big mental illnesses and can range from all different levels of severity. i have the type of OCD that i am very organized, to the point i am anxious if something is not in its spot. i have a thing about even numbers, i don't put the volume on odd ones. i have a certain way i do everything. my routine is the same every morning. so i mean i don't think my OCD is that much of an interference...but can get annoying especially to someone who hasn't spent much time around me. i'd say the OCD with my skin is the strongest part of my OCD...which BDD is a form of OCD because you're obsessing about your appearance.
but there are still others out there with it worse. some people can't even leave their homes because they fear they're going to get contaminated. i have a friend with trichotillomania. that's a serious form of OCD where you pull your hair out strand by strand, til you're eventually bald. some people that have this even eat their hair.
so like i said, it's got many variations. i've researched OCD a lot=P and acne. but yes, what a pain in the ass!

I have done some odd shitin the past with my ocd stuff....I would need all day to tell you about it.
On my days off from work, i usually plan to do stuff and if I get zits or my skin is looking shitty, I just refuse to go anywhere and stay in my bed all sad, all day. Its silly and a waste of a day I know.

Imagine how our self esteems would be if Acne sufferers didnt have acne!!!

#29 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

You kinda get to the point where its like./.. F**** WHEN IS THIS GOING TO END.......

Yeah that's rough. For me, I went from shitty skin for 2 years,then perfectly clear and flawless for a year and a half, the literally overnight my skin was shit again, and it's been 6 almost 7 months. I just don't see an end and I'm so fucking miserable every day

#30 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:50 AM

Yeah that's rough. For me, I went from shitty skin for 2 years,then perfectly clear and flawless for a year and a half, the literally overnight my skin was shit again, and it's been 6 almost 7 months. I just don't see an end and I'm so fucking miserable every day

Aww hugs
How old r u?
Do u work?
I have very oily skin..I work in an aged care home, where heaters r going full blast all day every day....my skin has no chance in hell.

#31 Lapis lazuli

Lapis lazuli

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:48 AM

That doesn't sound like OCD to me at all... If you, thisisnothollywood, went to see a psychiatrist for something like that then you do not have OCD if you ask me.

People "obsessing" over their skin when they've got acne is a normal reaction... You aren't all of a sudden mentally ill when you do that. It isn't like normal, mentally healthy people just shrug initially when they have acne and never obsess about their appearance.

I'd give you advice on OCD but the thing is...you don't have OCD. Posted Image I'd bet you 1000 Euros that you don't have OCD.

You're just a guy who has trouble dealing with the psychological effects of having acne.

Now that is OCD.

Although to me "obsessing over your appearance" is not a form of OCD; just because OCD has the word "obsessive" in it doesn't mean that whenever someone is obsessed with anything that all of a sudden they have OCD.

To name an extremely exaggerated example, if a girl says to her friend "I'm obsessed with these awesome new shoes! Posted Image " she doesn't all of a sudden have OCD.

Or when someone is "obsessed" with getting through a certain videogame; same story. You know, like people being "obsessed" with World of warcraft? haha

Also when someone can't let go of something in their minds... If something is constantly on a person's mind as they are troubled by it for perhaps understandable reasons, then that's not OCD either.

I have done some odd shitin the past with my ocd stuff....I would need all day to tell you about it.
On my days off from work, i usually plan to do stuff and if I get zits or my skin is looking shitty, I just refuse to go anywhere and stay in my bed all sad, all day. Its silly and a waste of a day I know.

If "odd shit" by you is defined as "staying home because acne made you incredibly insecure" then you've never really seen any truly "odd shit", I have to say.

Again, you don't have OCD at all. If you have gone to a psychiatrist with the problems you have described then they could have never ever told you that you have OCD. I don't believe that at all. Unless you went to a really bad psychiatrist. Or spoke to an intern. Posted Image

So put that out of your mind, ok? Stop thinking to yourself that you have OCD as your problem is something else and therefore needs to be dealt with in a different way (than OCD needs to be dealt with).

#32 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

That doesn't sound like OCD to me at all... If you, thisisnothollywood, went to see a psychiatrist for something like that then you do not have OCD if you ask me.

People "obsessing" over their skin when they've got acne is a normal reaction... You aren't all of a sudden mentally ill when you do that. It isn't like normal, mentally healthy people just shrug initially when they have acne and never obsess about their appearance.

I'd give you advice on OCD but the thing is...you don't have OCD. Posted Image I'd bet you 1000 Euros that you don't have OCD.

You're just a guy who has trouble dealing with the psychological effects of having acne.

Now that is OCD.

Although to me "obsessing over your appearance" is not a form of OCD; just because OCD has the word "obsessive" in it doesn't mean that whenever someone is obsessed with anything that all of a sudden they have OCD.

To name an extremely exaggerated example, if a girl says to her friend "I'm obsessed with these awesome new shoes! Posted Image " she doesn't all of a sudden have OCD.

Or when someone is "obsessed" with getting through a certain videogame; same story. You know, like people being "obsessed" with World of warcraft? haha

Also when someone can't let go of something in their minds... If something is constantly on a person's mind as they are troubled by it for perhaps understandable reasons, then that's not OCD either.

If "odd shit" by you is defined as "staying home because acne made you incredibly insecure" then you've never really seen any truly "odd shit", I have to say.

Again, you don't have OCD at all. If you have gone to a psychiatrist with the problems you have described then they could have never ever told you that you have OCD. I don't believe that at all. Unless you went to a really bad psychiatrist. Or spoke to an intern. Posted Image

So put that out of your mind, ok? Stop thinking to yourself that you have OCD as your problem is something else and therefore needs to be dealt with in a different way (than OCD needs to be dealt with).

Lol Lapis thankyou for diagnosing me..... muchly appreciated.
What Psych firm do you work for??
Ten points.

Im glad I don't have ocd then....and feel sorry for those who do.

#33 Lapis lazuli

Lapis lazuli

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

Lol Lapis thankyou for diagnosing me..... muchly appreciated.
What Psych firm do you work for??
Ten points.

Im glad I don't have ocd then....and feel sorry for those who do.

OCD is a very serious condition. Be glad you don't have to deal with it.

#34 whatthekell

whatthekell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

i can talk about this because i am diagnosed.

and what i was saying was, BDD and OCD go hand in hand. so yes, when you'e obsessing about your face, by which you are spending every minute of the day worrying "if i eat this will i break out?" "is she looking at my zits" "am i going to break out tonight" "i wonder if my pimples are coming to a head" - just constant negative thoughts about your skin and always worrying about breaking out, that is obsessive and it's BDD. spending hours in the bathroom checking and rechecking your face for new pimples. using every reflective mirror to check your skin. i'd go on but i have to go to work.

Edited by whatthekell, 01 September 2012 - 06:42 AM.

#35 Torquemonster

Torquemonster

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

Count me in. I think I've done just about everything mentioned throughout this thread. I never suspected so many others were preoccupied with all this skin stuff like I am. It's rather comforting to know actually:-) Thanks for sharing. Actually about 3 weeks ago I sort of "cold-turkey quit" with the skin obsession and looking in mirrors, etc. It had gotten to the point where I was so mentally stressed that I feared for my sanity and health. I have been very relaxed the last three weeks and my skin looks the best it has in a long time. I've basically adopted an approach of refusing to look in a mirror for any extended period of time. Sometimes I have to take a deep breath and a time-out if I catch myself getting anxious about an itch on my face or something. Not sure how long this approach will last but I'm just taking it one day at a time. In the past I have quit addictions with alcohol, pot, cig smoking so I believe I can succeed. Hope all goes well with you folks.

#36 Lapis lazuli

Lapis lazuli

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

BDD and OCD go hand in hand. so yes, when you'e obsessing about your face, by which you are spending every minute of the day worrying "if i eat this will i break out?" "is she looking at my zits" "am i going to break out tonight" "i wonder if my pimples are coming to a head" - just constant negative thoughts about your skin and always worrying about breaking out, that is obsessive and it's BDD.

I repeat:

That's still my view at the moment. What you describe here is just perpetually being distressed because of (fear of) the situations you end up in due to having acne.

Plus isn't BDD something similar to anorexia? In the sense that those people think they are fat no matter how thin they are? And with BDD they think they are unattractive no matter how attractive they are? A thing which goes a lot deeper than "I've got acne so now I'm no longer as attractive as I used to be"?.

And BDD and OCD going hand in hand? I don't know... I mean, if we define BDD as people basically being insecure about their appearance, then all these people on the forum telling stories about how they can't shake their fears and insecurities...and how they think they've lost their looks while in fact they haven't....They don't all have OCD, you know?

I saw a guy on Oprah once who thought he was ugly while in fact, as Oprah said, he was handsome. They said he had BDD. He didn't have acne or any other physical thing to trigger his BDD; if you never had acne you wouldn't have had what you refer to as BDD. That's my argument.

Edited by Lapis lazuli, 01 September 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#37 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

i can talk about this because i am diagnosed.

and what i was saying was, BDD and OCD go hand in hand. so yes, when you'e obsessing about your face, by which you are spending every minute of the day worrying "if i eat this will i break out?" "is she looking at my zits" "am i going to break out tonight" "i wonder if my pimples are coming to a head" - just constant negative thoughts about your skin and always worrying about breaking out, that is obsessive and it's BDD. spending hours in the bathroom checking and rechecking your face for new pimples. using every reflective mirror to check your skin. i'd go on but i have to go to work.

Im guessing I have a form of bdd then because I obsess every day! Basically what I do each day depends on my skin....

BDD and OCD go hand in hand. so yes, when you'e obsessing about your face, by which you are spending every minute of the day worrying "if i eat this will i break out?" "is she looking at my zits" "am i going to break out tonight" "i wonder if my pimples are coming to a head" - just constant negative thoughts about your skin and always worrying about breaking out, that is obsessive and it's BDD.

I repeat:

That's still my view at the moment. What you describe here is just perpetually being distressed because of (fear of) the situations you end up in due to having acne.

Plus isn't BDD something similar to anorexia? In the sense that those people think they are fat no matter how thin they are? And with BDD they think they are unattractive no matter how attractive they are? A thing which goes a lot deeper than "I've got acne so now I'm no longer as attractive as I used to be"?.

And BDD and OCD going hand in hand? I don't know... I mean, if we define BDD as people basically being insecure about their appearance, then all these people on the forum telling stories about how they can't shake their fears and insecurities...and how they think they've lost their looks while in fact they haven't....They don't all have OCD, you know?

I saw a guy on Oprah once who thought he was ugly while in fact, as Oprah said, he was handsome. They said he had BDD. He didn't have acne or any other physical thing to trigger his BDD; if you never had acne you wouldn't have had what you refer to as BDD. That's my argument.

I guess we shouldn't judge anyone....
At the end of the day, we have acne and we hate the fact that it affects our lives in one way or another
;)
Thanks for your imput to the discussion here btw,
;)

#38 whatthekell

whatthekell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

i don't have time to sit here and argue. look up BDD and it will say right there that it;s a form of BDD. and yes it is OCD when you're constantly thinking about your skin to the point it takes over your life. don't tell me that's normal. there are plenty of people with acne that don't give a shit. and there are others who let it control their thoughts.

#39 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

i don't have time to sit here and argue. look up BDD and it will say right there that it;s a form of BDD. and yes it is OCD when you're constantly thinking about your skin to the point it takes over your life. don't tell me that's normal. there are plenty of people with acne that don't give a shit. and there are others who let it control their thoughts.

I agree with you Whatthekell.... 100%
I love it how people like to get on this site and tell you what you have and what you havent and actually try and diagnose you.

#40 whatthekell

whatthekell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

right!! i've been diagnosed i don't need some guy from the netherlands telling me how it is.
feel free to PM me anytime =)