Photo

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder And Acne!

ocd adult acne skin sad depressed blackheads pores pimples

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:36 PM

Do any sufferers of acne here have OCD and does your acne and breakouts make your ocd worse?

I am a sufferer of OCD and when my acne flares up, the ocd goes crazzeee... Id like to hear from other sufferers of both OCD and adult acne.

#2 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

Absofuckinlutely do I have OCD, only with my skin. It only started when my skin became clear starting 2 years ago. Its emotionally exhausting ALWAYS thinking of my skin and examining it in the mirror. I just dont see my OCD over this ever being gone, because im so emotionally scarred from it, that when 1 pimple pops up or 1 clogged pore shows up, i go into hibernation mode and hide until it looks better. So fucking ridiculous.

So yes, im a sufferer of OCD with my skin. My therapist was the one who brought it to attention, and its 100% true.

#3 snsdgirl14

snsdgirl14

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

I'm pretty sure I have OCD about my skin, too. I used to think I never had OCD, because the stereotypical symptoms of OCD are the obsessive cleanliness, organization, etc. And I'm pretty messy and disorganized - my mom hates even stepping into my room cause I always have stuff everywhere. But my therapist brought my OCD to attention, too, pointing out that I always seem to have a flaw that I focus all my attention on. It's not always physical flaws, but lately because of a past acne outbreak, it's been my skin. The smallest red spot will put me on edge and make me want to just sleep until it goes away. Moreover, I ignore all my other physical 'flaws' - I rarely notice any imperfections on my body because I'm so preoccupied with my skin.

It's a vicious cycle, and I really want to break free from it. I try to not look in mirrors too much, or if I do, I look from a normal distance and don't scrutinize my skin. I try to look at my face as a 'whole' like most people see it, rather than focusing on one blemish. I also don't look in mirrors unless I have to anymore, because I used to go look in mirrors just to scrutinize my skin.

It sucks, simply put. But I know I can improve.

[CURRENT REGIMEN]

AM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel (European version) + Clarisonic Mia

Apply CeraVe AM Moisturizer w/ SPF 30

Apply Aczone (dapsone) 

PM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel + Clarisonic Mia
Apply CeraVe PM Moisturizer 
Apply Epiduo (adapalene + benzoyl peroxide)
50 mg of Spironolactone 

[CURRENT STATUS]
90% clear

#4 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

I think I have this as well, but only pertaining to my skin and mirrors. Some days it'll become like a ritual for me "do not look into mirrors unless absolutely necessary" and other days it'll be like "look into this mirror for a very long time, it makes you look good, get that confidence boost." so it's like I seek out certain mirrors and avoid other mirrors.

Daily Regimen:
-Clean and Clear Foaming Cleanser
-Dan's 2.5% BP 
-Jojoba oil as moisturizer

Nightly Regimen:
-Clean and Clear Foaming Cleanser
-Dan's 2.5% BP
-Cetaphil moisturizer + a few drops of Jojoba oil 

My Regimen Log: http://www.acne.org/...gs-regimen-log/

#5 bluestripez17

bluestripez17

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

I'm the same as FlaggLives , My bathroom mirror makes my acne look really bad because of the lighting really shows every single bump , and the mirror in the lounge room makes it look like I have extremely clear skin

#6 anniej

anniej

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

I'm pretty sure I have OCD about my skin, too. I used to think I never had OCD, because the stereotypical symptoms of OCD are the obsessive cleanliness, organization, etc. And I'm pretty messy and disorganized - my mom hates even stepping into my room cause I always have stuff everywhere. But my therapist brought my OCD to attention, too, pointing out that I always seem to have a flaw that I focus all my attention on. It's not always physical flaws, but lately because of a past acne outbreak, it's been my skin. The smallest red spot will put me on edge and make me want to just sleep until it goes away. Moreover, I ignore all my other physical 'flaws' - I rarely notice any imperfections on my body because I'm so preoccupied with my skin.

It's a vicious cycle, and I really want to break free from it. I try to not look in mirrors too much, or if I do, I look from a normal distance and don't scrutinize my skin. I try to look at my face as a 'whole' like most people see it, rather than focusing on one blemish. I also don't look in mirrors unless I have to anymore, because I used to go look in mirrors just to scrutinize my skin.

It sucks, simply put. But I know I can improve.

I thought I didn't have OCD too until I read your post. I always examine my skin very closely and I check almost every pores, and when I see a clogged pore I just HAVE TO extract it or I will be obsessed about it rest of the day. And one thing leads to another until my skin is all red. When I can't find my extractor I just go crazy and can't help thinking about that clogged pore. I mostly care about my skin too, my hair and my clothes suck because I dont have time and interest in them.
But I feel very uncomfortable talking to my therapist about my skin :(

#7 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

Absofuckinlutely do I have OCD, only with my skin. It only started when my skin became clear starting 2 years ago. Its emotionally exhausting ALWAYS thinking of my skin and examining it in the mirror. I just dont see my OCD over this ever being gone, because im so emotionally scarred from it, that when 1 pimple pops up or 1 clogged pore shows up, i go into hibernation mode and hide until it looks better. So fucking ridiculous.

So yes, im a sufferer of OCD with my skin. My therapist was the one who brought it to attention, and its 100% true.

I can so so relate to you. I am 31, male and have large pores on my nose and sides of nose, the t zone, from squeezing blackheads, lots of blackheads and white heads.... I have just spent 4 nights in Melbourne, and of course my t zone had to flair up, I got a flight back to my home town, came home and scrubbed and washed, over and over....its such a mess. And I wonder when this cycle will end for me ....its so hard isnt it?

I want this post to be for ALL the OCD sufferers, WHO happen to have acne.
Thanks everyone for posting and sharing your stories and thoughts.

#8 Clearwaters

Clearwaters

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

Yeah....to the extreme. I have Bdd and when my skin is bad I'm distraught...disabled...often won't even go out. And then I PICK and it makes matters a million times worse and I end up sweating and crazed in front of the mirror at the damage I've just done. It's nuts...

#9 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

I think I have this as well, but only pertaining to my skin and mirrors. Some days it'll become like a ritual for me "do not look into mirrors unless absolutely necessary" and other days it'll be like "look into this mirror for a very long time, it makes you look good, get that confidence boost." so it's like I seek out certain mirrors and avoid other mirrors.

I avoid fluero lights, but sadly they are everywhere where I work and whilst visiting my mate in Melbourne, he had these horrible, yellow like fluero lights and mirrors surrounded in natural lighting, so I saw all my imperfections, holes all over my nose.
Its distressing.

Yeah....to the extreme. I have Bdd and when my skin is bad I'm distraught...disabled...often won't even go out. And then I PICK and it makes matters a million times worse and I end up sweating and crazed in front of the mirror at the damage I've just done. It's nuts...

It is horrible isnt it. I panic BIG time, and get very anxious.....
I finally calm myself down but it does take some time... I dont have alot of these episodes, but when I do, they really suck.

#10 Clearwaters

Clearwaters

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

Oh and the issue of lights! Ugh...don't get me started. Bane of my life! I have a panic attack every time I need to get groceries because all supermarkets just HAVE to have those cruel fluorescent lights. I can relate to what you guys have said about seeking out good lighting. I will only look in certain ones and I have just ONE trusted mirror. When I look in this mirror I will take a mental 'snapshot' of what I look like in it and then carry that image around with me in my head...sounds desperate, but I am desperate to feel good about my skin.

#11 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:51 PM

Acne is a cruel thing, and when you have OCD it just seems so much worse.
I hate the panic attacks, and just thinking about going out in public, with my skin the way it is, makes me physically sick sometimes.

Lights are the worst, YES!

#12 Clearwaters

Clearwaters

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

Yep..too true. In my house I live only by lamplight. My world would be so much better if all places in public were lit by lamps and candles. Can't see that happening though, lol.

Edited by Clearwaters, 28 August 2012 - 12:12 AM.

#13 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:56 AM

Or it was dark 24 -7 lol that would be better.

#14 mWilso

mWilso

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

I threw away my hand mirror at work because I started obsessively looking at my skin. I was checking my face at least 20x a day, for no reason at all. I would just be working and then have an intrusive thought that I had to check my skin.
I have loads of other compulsions, but this one was the most destructive because I would pick, at nothing.

I'm sure some of my coworkers think I'm incredibly vain, but I'm not actually (well, yeah, some), but I wasn't admiring or looking at myself as a whole. It's just how my anxiety manifests.

It's been a week or so without it, and I am much happier. But I'm sure I'll pick up something new to replace it. Le sigh.

edited for spelling error

Edited by MWilso, 28 August 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#15 lightersUP

lightersUP

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

I have an iPhone so I can usually see my reflection when I'm checking my phone throughout the day. That also means I end up checking for any new bumps that may have come up. Luckily I haven't had that problem in awhile, but when I was breaking out it was depressing to see.

Oxy Maximum Face Wash

Dickinson's Witch Hazel

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion SPF15

#16 Lapis lazuli

Lapis lazuli

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

People say they "are OCD" about things or they "have OCD" but OCD is serious psychological condition... Or as some people say it is an "illness". What are you referring to exactly when you say you have OCD?

For the record, I used to have OCD. Actual OCD. The type they (attempt to) treat in psychologists' offices. I managed to get rid of it so maybe I can lend some advice on that (i.e. getting rid of it). Or at least attempt to... If in fact you are right and actually do have OCD.

#17 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

I threw away my hand mirror at work because I started obsessively looking at my skin. I was checking my face at least 20x a day, for no reason at all. I would just be working and then have an intrusive thought that I had to check my skin. I have loads of other compulsions, but this one was the most destructive because I would pick, at nothing. I'm sure some of my coworkers think I'm incredibly vain, but I'm not actually (well, yeah, some), but I wasn't admiring or looking at myself as a whole. It's just how my anxiety manifests. It's been a week or so without it, and I am much happier. But I'm sure I'll pick up something new to replace it. Le sigh. edited for spelling error

Its hard isnt it!!!! I looked in the reflection of my new phone yesterday and say HOLES all over my nose and cheeks, it was so depressing....

People say they "are OCD" about things or they "have OCD" but OCD is serious psychological condition... Or as some people say it is an "illness". What are you referring to exactly when you say you have OCD? For the record, I used to have OCD. Actual OCD. The type they (attempt to) treat in psychologists' offices. I managed to get rid of it so maybe I can lend some advice on that (i.e. getting rid of it). Or at least attempt to... If in fact you are right and actually do have OCD.

I had the same thing, eg went to a psych....they didnt do much though for me....
I think there are all forms of ocd, mild to the really series forms.
Its hard either way.

#18 whatthekell

whatthekell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

i am also an adult acne sufferer with OCD and BDD. fun stuff! i've had OCD for my whole life. but only was officially diagnosed this summer. no med i was put on helped it because side effects were not worth it. while i have suffered from BDD for as long as i've had acne, i never knew i had it. i think as long as i have acne, i will always be obsessed with my skin. i saw a therapist for a while and got absolutely nothing out of it. i plan to find a new therapist to help me look at my skin differently after it's hopefully cleared after accutane.

#19 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for sharing your story, must be hard...last two days I have calmed down. I take a stress multivitamin and it has relaxed me alot....Whats BDD, can you explain that? Do you take meds to help you?

#20 bparker58

bparker58

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

I could seriously relate. I had my first break out about 8 years ago. My face was pretty much all covered with horrible cysts, pustules, or whiteheads. I went through many different kinds of treatments and as time goes by, my face improves a lot. I mean, my face isn't perfect. It's covered with clogged pores all the time and sometimes they turn into actual pimples. But I think my emotions got a lot worse. I avoid lights, and MIRRORS! I would deliberately cover the mirror with something so that I would be able to see my face clearly. I only turn on my desk lamp at home. And if... I notice one (or a few) imperfections on my face, I would literally panic. I feel like I couldn't get my mind off this. I am preoccupied with my skin condition and it's crazy. I could spend a whole day just thinking about my skin and the number of clogged pores I have. This is driving me crazy.

I also have the urge to pick them whenever I see them too. Sigh.