Photo

Feel Hopeless About My Skin Condition - Can't Open Mouth, Pih, Acne, Keratin Plugs - Any Suggestions?

hyperpigmentation perioral dermatitis lip lickers dermatitis oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 okiedokie123

okiedokie123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hey guys,

I'm really at a short fuse that's just about to give up everything - school, work, family, life. I don't know what to do anymore. With school coming back in a week, I'm really at the end of the tunnel but there's no light. I am just wondering if anyone can give me some advices, tips, pointers for the following problems that I have. I feel that someone providing me suggestions can help me at times because it gives me another option to handle my skin.

So basically, here's the gist of it long story short - I had lip licker's dermatitis at 12. It caused brown hyperpigmentation/scarring since I was 12 and it seems to come and go - but that's not the case. It either fades with enough time or comes back due to my other problem, which is perioral dermatitis.

Perioral dermatitis causes acne and bumps around my mouth. So not only do I have PIH, but also Perioral dermatitis which I seemed to have it under control in the meantime using LED Light Therapy.

However, my chin's acid mantle is absolutely destroyed. There is no moisture at all. I have no sebum secretions or sweat coming from my chin even after running! I don't know what happened to it or where it all went but I really want oily skin back. To be honest, I would rather have that and pimples than have this dry, flaky, sebum/keratin plugged skin.

No matter how much exfoiliation I do, the dry flaky sebum plugs are there. No matter how much moisturization I do, the plugs and flakes remain as well as causing new breakouts (I use shea butter).

I also developed neck acne, which is really odd!

So I'm wondering if you guys could give me some tips and pointers for the following because I am completely lost and need some moral instilled into me. I am really depressed.

1) Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation that's been there since 12 years old. It's faded/come back each year with this year being the worst due to LED Light therapy. I'm 21 now.
2) Perioral dermatitis - How can I keep it under control without antibiotics or ACV? LED Light Therapy seems to calm it down but it causes PIH to get darker!
3) Sebum/keratin plugs and dryness- How do I get rid of these? Exfoliating doesn't help. Moisturizing even with shea butter doesn't help either. And shea butter may be greasy and comedogenic.
4) What is causing me to have difficulty opening my mouth? Is it lack of skin elasticity? Can fungal infections do this too?
5) Neck acne - is it hormonal? Could LED Light therapy aggravate it since I did it the last 2 days and it didn't do anything. My regimen with LED Light therapy is everyday but maybe it's too much?

Please help guys Posted Image

Edited by okiedokie123, 26 August 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#2 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hey guys,

I'm really at a short fuse that's just about to give up everything - school, work, family, life. I don't know what to do anymore. With school coming back in a week, I'm really at the end of the tunnel but there's no light. I am just wondering if anyone can give me some advices, tips, pointers for the following problems that I have. I feel that someone providing me suggestions can help me at times because it gives me another option to handle my skin.

So basically, here's the gist of it long story short - I had lip licker's dermatitis at 12. It caused brown hyperpigmentation/scarring since I was 12 and it seems to come and go - but that's not the case. It either fades with enough time or comes back due to my other problem, which is perioral dermatitis.

Perioral dermatitis causes acne and bumps around my mouth. So not only do I have PIH, but also Perioral dermatitis which I seemed to have it under control in the meantime using LED Light Therapy.

However, my chin's acid mantle is absolutely destroyed. There is no moisture at all. I have no sebum secretions or sweat coming from my chin even after running! I don't know what happened to it or where it all went but I really want oily skin back. To be honest, I would rather have that and pimples than have this dry, flaky, sebum/keratin plugged skin.

No matter how much exfoiliation I do, the dry flaky sebum plugs are there. No matter how much moisturization I do, the plugs and flakes remain as well as causing new breakouts (I use shea butter).

So I'm wondering if you guys could give me some tips and pointers for the following because I am completely lost and need some moral instilled into me. I am really depressed.

1) Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation that's been there since 12 years old. It's faded/come back each year with this year being the worst due to LED Light therapy. I'm 21 now.
2) Perioral dermatitis - How can I keep it under control without antibiotics or ACV? LED Light Therapy seems to calm it down but it causes PIH to get darker!
3) Sebum/keratin plugs and dryness- How do I get rid of these? Exfoliating doesn't help. Moisturizing even with shea butter doesn't help either. And shea butter may be greasy and comedogenic.
4) What is causing me to have difficulty opening my mouth? Is it lack of skin elasticity? Can fungal infections do this too?
5) Neck acne - is it hormonal? Could LED Light therapy aggravate it since I did it the last 2 days and it didn't do anything. My regimen with LED Light therapy is everyday but maybe it's too much?

Have you posted before? I swear I've already read three mostly identical posts from you...

#3 okiedokie123

okiedokie123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hey guys,

Have you posted before? I swear I've already read three mostly identical posts from you...

Yes, I have. I'm desperate right now. In this post, I mentioned 2 other problems that I have which are the neck acne and difficulty opening mouth. I have no insurance and can't afford a dermatologist (although they just prescribe minocycline or hydrocortisone, or something else.

#4 anniej

anniej

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:31 AM

have you tried any other moisturizers? In winter I have dry patchy skin and find that oils and shea butter dont really work, they just sit on top of my skin. May be you can try Cerave or Mario Badescu healing cream (i think Mario Badescu has a range of skin care products for ezecma and rosacea. I'm using the healing cream for my tca peel and it's very good). What do you use for exfoliation?

#5 lightersUP

lightersUP

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

Try a 20-30% BHA salicylic acid peel. It will breakdown the sebum stuck in your pores and get rid of your dry skin issues.

#6 okiedokie123

okiedokie123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

have you tried any other moisturizers? In winter I have dry patchy skin and find that oils and shea butter dont really work, they just sit on top of my skin. May be you can try Cerave or Mario Badescu healing cream (i think Mario Badescu has a range of skin care products for ezecma and rosacea. I'm using the healing cream for my tca peel and it's very good). What do you use for exfoliation?

Thanks for replying. I find the same thing too! Oils and shea butter or even both mixed together do not work. Jojoba oil, argan oil, antioxidant face creams, calendula cream, glycerin and rosewater, nothing seems to be moisturizing well. I'll look into Mario Badescu but I hope they are natural products. My face can't handle alot of chemicals or funky sounding ones.

My method of exfoliation are aluminum oxide microdermabrasion crystals mixed with 100% Pure Brightening Mask + Scrub. While it does remove flakes, the flakes or sebum plugs just seem to come back.

Try a 20-30% BHA salicylic acid peel. It will breakdown the sebum stuck in your pores and get rid of your dry skin issues.

Thanks for the reply. Does that peel work much like Lactic Acid? Because I tried Lactic Acid 50% before and it made my PIH darker despite being on for only 2-3 minutes. I'm not sure if my face can handle peels because I think I may have overexfoliated and I'm also not sure if perioral dermatitis will flare up again.

Edited by okiedokie123, 27 August 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#7 izzygrace1515

izzygrace1515

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

Do not use the Mario Badescu healing cream if you already have sensitive skin. I found out today my acne rash is actually an allergic reaction. I've been using the healing cream liberally the past couple weeks and saw that the first ingredient is balsam of Peru, one of the top irritants according to my research!

#8 anniej

anniej

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

I've heard the healing cream did create allergic reaction. Maybe you can buy a sample and patch test on you skin first. I also really like Garden of Wisdom products, their ingredients seem really good. If your skin is sensitive maybe Garden of Wisdom is a safer bet. I don't think you should do microdermabrasion when your skin is irritated, maybe you should try applying glycolic or mandelic acid 10% everyday (or every other day).

#9 lightersUP

lightersUP

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

BHAs are lipophilic so they're very good breaking down sebum in the skin. Those keratin plugs you have are hardened sebum so a BHA peel would help dissolve those away.

#10 okiedokie123

okiedokie123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I finally pushed myself to go to the derm today and they said I actually have seborrheic dermatitis which may explain the recurring flakes/sebum plugs? They prescribed Finacea which I'm scared to touch and oral Fluconazole for yeast.

#11 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I finally pushed myself to go to the derm today and they said I actually have seborrheic dermatitis which may explain the recurring flakes/sebum plugs? They prescribed Finacea which I'm scared to touch and oral Fluconazole for yeast.

Where is your seb derm? Do you have it around your nose, and is your chin constantly red?

Finacea burned the fuck out of my skin. I would NOT recommend it. My skin was so red, oily, irritated, and broken out for the 5 days I used it. It was HORRIBLE.

Edited by Murph89, 28 August 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#12 okiedokie123

okiedokie123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

Where is your seb derm? Do you have it around your nose, and is your chin constantly red?

Finacea burned the fuck out of my skin. I would NOT recommend it. My skin was so red, oily, irritated, and broken out for the 5 days I used it. It was HORRIBLE.

I think I'll stay away from it. Not only is it very expensive but it seems to have bad ingredients as well. I have seen alot of people say they got burned. It's terrible. Did you recover quickly?

#13 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

I think I'll stay away from it. Not only is it very expensive but it seems to have bad ingredients as well. I have seen alot of people say they got burned. It's terrible. Did you recover quickly?

Yeah its harsh stuff. Yeah i recovered fine. Where is your seb derm located on your face? Nose, chin?

#14 okiedokie123

okiedokie123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

It's on my chin. Same area as my perioral dermatitis. I have no idea how to get rid of it except hope this fluconazole actually works. The derm did prescribe Loprex topical but it was out-of-stock at the pharmacy and I am not paying $300 for Finacea.

Edited by okiedokie123, 28 August 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#15 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

It's on my chin. Same area as my perioral dermatitis. I have no idea how to get rid of it except hope this fluconazole actually works. The derm did prescribe Loprex topical but it was out-of-stock at the pharmacy and I am not paying $300 for Finacea.

Depends on where you get it filled. It was $300 also with my insurance at Walgreens and $50 at Wal-Mart. Personally I had positive experiences with Finacea.

#16 anniej

anniej

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:38 AM

If it's seborrheic dermatitis you can try washing your face with Nizoral shampoo. I found it helped with the clogged pores and redness but it may takes a few months.

#17 LillyBean

LillyBean

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:51 AM

I had thee same acne situation as you. Most of the big ones on my neck and
around my jaw line. Little whiteheads and blackheads all over my face and the big
ones around my nose and cheeks.
I would get huge break outs monthly.
I would wash in 40% AHA cuz if i didnt i wouldnt feel clean. My hair would get greasy after two hours after
taking a shower and my face after 15 minutes.

I know youve mentioned you cant afford a dermatologist but if there is one thing ive learned from
todays health care situation is that you need to be your own doctor.
Ive started reading more about skin and the processes that go on inside of it.
Ive done a research on acne medication and how they work, their best dosage and things like that.

Here are the solutions: 1.For girls :Contraception (might help a bit to reduce the activity of the oil glands, its not a perfect solution but sometimes its all we ve got). You have mentioned neck acne so you probably need to have your hormones checked. If you have noticed some unwanted hair on your face especially (1 or 2 are enough to see if your hormones are all messed up).

2. Retin A cream (its like the best cream for your skin, its gonna make it shed and peel a bit at first but its gonna dry out the oil glands and you will have 80% less acne, not to mention no blackheads after you use it for a while).

3.Isotretinoin (type of retinol that you take in pills, its the best thing ever, its just absolutely amazing, it totally dries up the oil glands my face is not even oily anymore let alone acne prone).
I had a very hard time getting it in my country, i dont live in the best place in the world and people here still dont know much about it, when i say people i mean dermatologists :/
So i went online and bought it from an online pharmacy , it took like 3 minutes, calculated my dosage (i should be on 60 mg but i take 40mg just cuz i want to be extra safe).
I suggest you read about the side effects just out of prevention.
But my personal opinion is that most of those bad things you keep hearing about isotretinoin (accutane) are not true, its the best of the best and industry doesnt want to let it take over. They want to give a chance to those products that dont really work, remember its only about cash.
I suffer no side effects but dry lips and a perfect skin :)