Photo

How To Make A 2% Salicylic Acid Leave On Product?

salicylic acid home made diy

6 replies to this topic

#1 Spotthedifference

Spotthedifference

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 42
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, running, creative projects, the sims games

Achievements

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Hi there. I hope this is in the right forum, it seemed like the most appropriate place for it to go.

I noticed recently that Clearasil have discontinued their overnight lotion and serum. Those two things always worked really well for me, and I'm pretty sure it was because of the level of salicylic acid in them and the fact that it was designed to be left on the skin.

I'd really love to be able to start using SA again, but I just can't find any other store bought products that contain the 2% concentration and that I like. This led me to thinking; what if I could make my own? That'd have the added benefit of me knowing exactly what every ingrediant in it was and does as well.

I know that it's not very water soluable, and most people seem to suggest using alcohol. Is there anything else that can be used instead that's not quite as harsh on the skin? And is it a case of just mixing the SA powder with something else, or are there any other steps that I need to follow to make a toner?

I'm very new at this making your own products thing; I'm researching it elsewhere as well, but I can't seem to find a 'Salicylic acid for dummies' guide. Probably because 'acid' and 'dummies' should never go together, but I'm really getting in to being more knowledgeable about the stuff I'm putting on my face.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Posted Image

EDIT: I'm a complete idiot. Found a very comprehensive guide to this here: http://practicalbohe...cylic-acid.html

Edited by Spotthedifference, 26 August 2012 - 02:43 PM.

Currently clear of acne with the occasional hormonal breakout. Check out my routines and progress updates here:
http://www.acne.org/...g-and-duac-gel/

Treat yourself as you treat others.

#2 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

You can dissolve your desired percentage of salicylic acid in a teaspoon of fresh strawberry juice, then add water, strain through cheesecloth, then add a pinch of baking soda to bring up the pH. It will not last more than one week in the refrigerator without a preservative. I froze some of this solution for the first time this week and I am hoping it won't change the composition when I'm ready to use it. You'll need some pH strips to make sure you are at a safe level. If you are interested, I can post more thorough measurements when I have a little more time.

Edited by gingergirl22, 26 August 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#3 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hi there. I hope this is in the right forum, it seemed like the most appropriate place for it to go.

I noticed recently that Clearasil have discontinued their overnight lotion and serum. Those two things always worked really well for me, and I'm pretty sure it was because of the level of salicylic acid in them and the fact that it was designed to be left on the skin.

I'd really love to be able to start using SA again, but I just can't find any other store bought products that contain the 2% concentration and that I like. This led me to thinking; what if I could make my own? That'd have the added benefit of me knowing exactly what every ingrediant in it was and does as well.

I know that it's not very water soluable, and most people seem to suggest using alcohol. Is there anything else that can be used instead that's not quite as harsh on the skin? And is it a case of just mixing the SA powder with something else, or are there any other steps that I need to follow to make a toner?

I'm very new at this making your own products thing; I'm researching it elsewhere as well, but I can't seem to find a 'Salicylic acid for dummies' guide. Probably because 'acid' and 'dummies' should never go together, but I'm really getting in to being more knowledgeable about the stuff I'm putting on my face.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Posted Image

EDIT: I'm a complete idiot. Found a very comprehensive guide to this here: http://practicalbohe...cylic-acid.html

Are you sure it's discontinued? Bought some just yesterday. Also see it on Amazon from several sellers. Maybe your store just stopped carrying it?

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#4 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

How's the fragrance in that Clearasil product? Is it the Ultra Overnight Serum? Do you think a guy would find the scent to be too flowery?

#5 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

How's the fragrance in that Clearasil product? Is it the Ultra Overnight Serum? Do you think a guy would find the scent to be too flowery?

It has some scent but I wouldn't call it flowery. Doesn't last long either way.

Salicylic Acid (2 % Acne Medication); Inactive Ingredients: Water, Butylene Glycol, Octyldodecanol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Dimethicone, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbitan Isostearate, Polysorbate 20, Fragrance, Methylparaben, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Lavanda Stoechas, Helichrysum Italicum Extract, Cistus Monospeliensis Extract

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#6 GreenLu

GreenLu

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

you can just get a simple 2% salicylic acid wash and use a small amount so it doesnt get filmy and leave it on.... havent had any trouble yet doing it.

#7 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

you can just get a simple 2% salicylic acid wash and use a small amount so it doesnt get filmy and leave it on.... havent had any trouble yet doing it.

Which product have you done that with and how long have you left it on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users