Photo

No Breakfast Acne Diet?

no breakfast acne diet breakfast morning

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Toulouse

Toulouse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hello everyone,

As a long, long time acne sufferer I wondered if anyone else here has experienced this: whenever I'm on vacation somewhere I never (and I mean never) have time for breakfast. The result? My acne clears even more completely than when I was on Accutane! So...I'm wondering if this whole 'no breakfast' or 'very lite' breakfast plan has something to it? I'm really starting to wonder whether all the advice admonishing us to gorge ourselves on a huge breakfast is actually far overrated--esp for those with acne prone skin. I've been all over the world and have noticed that those cultures (asian, european, south american, etc.) that either don't eat breakfast or eat very lightly in the morning (fruit, etc.) have an apparent non-existent incidence of acne.

I'm not totally sold on the idea yet because as we all know, it's a multi-faceted problem. The quality of food in those countries is far, far superior to the crap we get in states. I've also found that humidity (because my skin naturally tends to be dry) is also a godsend to my condition, whereas in most people it wreaks havoc.

Anyone here tried this?

#2 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Breakfast is usually eaten within the hour of waking up. This when cortisol is peaking and the insulin impact augments the cortisol and insulin. It's a double whammy.

Skipping breakfast can avoid this event, and it can indirectly cause you to begin intermittent fasting, which can improve insulin sensitivity in general. And, if you don't supplement those calories in the evening, sometimes a bit of low-calorie eating has beneficial effects to the skin. It happens to me when I eat lower-calorie.

Edited by Vanbelle, 24 August 2012 - 11:23 AM.

#3 Toulouse

Toulouse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

Breakfast is usually eaten within the hour of waking up. This when cortisol is peaking and the insulin impact augments the cortisol and insulin. It's a double whammy.

Skipping breakfast can avoid this event, and it can indirectly cause you to begin intermittent fasting, which can improve insulin sensitivity in general. And, if you don't supplement those calories in the evening, sometimes a bit of low-calorie eating has beneficial effects to the skin. It happens to me when I eat lower-calorie.

Yeah that's interesting. I've also noticed that eating a large, early breakfast gives me indigestion so I don't end up feeling hungry until 3-4pm, which then means a really late dinner...

Edited by Toulouse, 24 August 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#4 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

Intermittent fasting can help in many ways. We have a thread on it. Skipping breakfast is one way many people do it, although I could never skip breakfast. I skip dinner.
N
But ther could be other reasons you get better on vacation. Stress and Light exposure/circadian cycle are a couple of factors that probably chane when you travel.

#5 *****

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

-

Edited by picture, 12 October 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#6 Toulouse

Toulouse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hello everyone,

As a long, long time acne sufferer I wondered if anyone else here has experienced this: whenever I'm on vacation somewhere I never (and I mean never) have time for breakfast. The result? My acne clears even more completely than when I was on Accutane! So...I'm wondering if this whole 'no breakfast' or 'very lite' breakfast plan has something to it? I'm really starting to wonder whether all the advice admonishing us to gorge ourselves on a huge breakfast is actually far overrated--esp for those with acne prone skin. I've been all over the world and have noticed that those cultures (asian, european, south american, etc.) that either don't eat breakfast or eat very lightly in the morning (fruit, etc.) have an apparent non-existent incidence of acne.

I'm not totally sold on the idea yet because as we all know, it's a multi-faceted problem. The quality of food in those countries is far, far superior to the crap we get in states. I've also found that humidity (because my skin naturally tends to be dry) is also a godsend to my condition, whereas in most people it wreaks havoc.

Anyone here tried this?

I just wanted to let you know that I have acne on my face and body and almost always skip breakfast. In fact, I contribute skipping breakfast to part of the reason for my skin problems.

Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day - you're breaking the fast (the 8 or 9 hours you didn't eat when you were asleep), so there's no need to fast in the morning.

I've thought for a while my acne could be caused by adrenal fatigue. Obviously this isn't everyone's problem, but from what I've read, you should eat first thing when you wake up, otherwise you're putting more stress on your body. My problem is that I'm just not hungry when I wake up...

The times at which you eat also help with your circadian rhythm, just like sunlight. http://parentingsqua...cle-stop-eating

Also, there are lots of people on these boards that say their skin gets better on vacation and there are many more obvious reasons for that - stress free, sunlight, happiness, better water, better food (at breakfast and other meals).

Good points.

I wish I could pin it down, but unfortunately the 'answer' is very complex and elusive. What I do find interesting, is that when I'm on vacation I usually abandon my diet. In other words, I end up eating things that usually break me out bad at home--dairy, cheeses, fried foods, desserts, etc--and I still clear up like crazy. Breakfast being the only 'recognizable' change in my routine.

Weird...

#7 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hm.. from the experiements and analysis I've done my self, breakfast does seem to be a big factor actually.

It just seems that, the carbs you get during your breakfast triggers lot MORE hormone than if you were to eat lunch.

For example, one time I'd have 2 cups of oatmeal for dinner ;P . Wouldn't break out the next day. but if I were to eat just 1 cup in the morning, right within 2 hours a pimple pops up.

Also whenever I get stomach pain, its usually a sign of pimple emerging as well. Grains and gluten however do not give me stomach pain or really cause acne, unless if the total carbs is above 40 g of sugar. Like, pastas, rice and pizzas are things that best should be avoided. Fruits don't seem to be a big problem when it comes to sugar, plus they are the easiest for digestion, no pain or anything.

Edited by DaftFrost, 24 August 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#8 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

I think this is why I had a couple of days last week where I didn't produce sebum. Didn't eat until 1pm. Although there were also a few other things that may have affected it. It was really tough to do :(

#9 Toulouse

Toulouse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

I'm definitely convinced there's something to fasting--basically what this is anyway. When we're on vacations we're notorious for consistently missing breakfast. Result? Clear skin. But...let's face it, not exactly realistic or advisable. A lot of the things I thought were ok for breakfast turned out to be processed crap, contain gluten/avenin, have a high GI, or caused an allergic reaction (eggs cause red flushing at all times of day along with acne flare-ups). I'm sure it has a lot more to do with 'what' more than the 'when'. For some reason my skin also like high humidity. Weird...

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

I'm definitely convinced there's something to fasting--basically what this is anyway. When we're on vacations we're notorious for consistently missing breakfast. Result? Clear skin. But...let's face it, not exactly realistic or advisable. A lot of the things I thought were ok for breakfast turned out to be processed crap, contain gluten/avenin, have a high GI, or caused an allergic reaction (eggs cause red flushing at all times of day along with acne flare-ups). I'm sure it has a lot more to do with 'what' more than the 'when'. For some reason my skin also like high humidity. Weird...

There is something to intermittent fasting. Several things in fact that directly affect acne.

#11 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:09 AM

Yeah, cortisol is part of waking you up. Just don't eat right away. I walk the dog and do other exercise or chores first. Deep breathing also helps lower cortisol. If you just get up and get ready for work and leave, you probably should not cram breakfast into your morning rush. Especially not a high carb/gi breakfast. Eat later.