35 replies to this topic

#21 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:*Professional Editor & Writer * [Contact me for inquiries]
    movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

Cocamide and all of its derivatives (such as Cocamidopropyl Betaine) should also be added to the list. It can be more allergenic than even SLS. And, like SLS, it is in most shampoos.

Edited by WishClean, 07 July 2013 - 11:27 PM.

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#22 Pianina

Pianina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Teaching piano, singing, programming, web-design, photography, nutrition

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

I would suggest adding Shiseido "Pureness" line products. Many camedonic ingredients, fragrances, colourants... If only I knew that the ingredients matter, when I was younger! Using these products I had the most terrible breakout in my life at the age of 19. 

Diagnosed with PCOS/Insulin resistance

Currently clear from acne.

Meds:

- Yasmin birth control 
- Spironolactone 50 mg

Skincare:

- Paula's Choice

Supplements:

- Innate Response Glucose Tolerance Factor Chromium, for blood sugar balancing 
- Innate Response DysBio-GI, against candida

Extra:

- Peppermint tea 2 cups/day
- Licorice tea 1 cup/day

#23 alysemarie

alysemarie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

Wow, thanks for this. I just threw away the majority of my facial cleansers… I use argan oil for a moisturizer, but can anyone recommend a face wash? 

#24 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:16 AM

Wow, thanks for this. I just threw away the majority of my facial cleansers… I use argan oil for a moisturizer, but can anyone recommend a face wash? 

Sage facial shampoo, glytone, boots sensitive foaming, and free & clear are a couple. I personally like the sage facial shampoo, but it's expensive.

#25 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

Water.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#26 Dolan Duck

Dolan Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

Water.

Well what about those people who have oily skin? Pores would get blocked because water doesn't remove oil..

#27 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

Skin care fanatic and scientific stickler

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, playing video games and bird watching.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:06 AM

Water.

Well what about those people who have oily skin? Pores would get blocked because water doesn't remove oil..

I don't know how much water actually removes oil and dirt, but this source says it's 65%.

Detergents aren't as bad as everyone thinks/says they are. SLS is washed off, and would only pose a threat if left on in high concentrations or those with compromised skin like eczema.

#28 Dolan Duck

Dolan Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

Water.

I don't know how much water actually removes oil and dirt, but this source says it's 65%.

Detergents aren't as bad as everyone thinks/says they are. SLS is washed off, and would only pose a threat if left on in high concentrations or those with compromised skin like eczema.

Well I have oily skin and if I use cleanser that contain SLS my skin gets so dry and tight that I can't even open my mouth well.

#29 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

Skin care fanatic and scientific stickler

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, playing video games and bird watching.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:34 AM

Water.

Well I have oily skin and if I use cleanser that contain SLS my skin gets so dry and tight that I can't even open my mouth well.

Cleansers with stuff like sodium trideceth sulfate or colloidal oatmeal (and specific saponins) are gentle.

#30 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

I have oily skin. You can Blot excess. Oil isn't actually the problem in acne. It's skin cells that clog pores, although the composition of your sebum can be a factor. Linoleic acid is a major component of sebum that does what it's supposed to. Acne and other problem prone skin have Been found to be deficient resulting in sebum that's sticky and causes skin cells to clump and log pores. Topical use of a high linoleic acid containing oil can help. Google oil cleansing methods and see my thread thread on linoleic acid.

Edited by alternativista, 04 March 2014 - 10:20 AM.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#31 Dolan Duck

Dolan Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Water.

I have oily skin. Blot excess. Oil isn't actually the problem. It's skin cells that clog pores, although the composition of your sebum can be a factor. Linoleic acid is a major component of sebum that does what it's supposed to. Acne and other problem prone skin have Been found to be deficient resulting in sebum that's sticky and causes skin cells to clump and log pores. Topical use of a high linoleic acid containing oil can help. Google oil cleansing methods ad see my thread thread on linoleic acid.

I really don't want to do oil cleansing method, I don't like that. How about the middle road method, water only evening and gentle cleanser morning?

#32 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

I really don't want to do oil cleansing method, I don't like that. How about the middle road method, water only evening and gentle cleanser morning?

ok

Edited by alternativista, 04 March 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#33 Dolan Duck

Dolan Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:50 AM

Water.

I have oily skin. Blot excess. Oil isn't actually the problem. It's skin cells that clog pores, although the composition of your sebum can be a factor. Linoleic acid is a major component of sebum that does what it's supposed to. Acne and other problem prone skin have Been found to be deficient resulting in sebum that's sticky and causes skin cells to clump and log pores. Topical use of a high linoleic acid containing oil can help. Google oil cleansing methods ad see my thread thread on linoleic acid.

ok

How often do you do this oil cleansing?

#34 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

How often do you do this oil cleansing?

Not often. Mostly I cleanse with a damp cloth after smearing a little oil on my eye makeup to remove it. Then I apply a small amount of oil to wet skin which helps apply it very lightly.

Edited by alternativista, 04 March 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#35 moonboots

moonboots

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:21 AM

Even though this is a really old post, I wanted to point a problem with this data because I just came across it as a top result in a search. None of the references listed here provide the sources of their information. This same list pops up all over the place on the internet, but never seems to be accompanied by valid references. The info may be correct, but without knowing the source, there is no way to judge its reliability.

#36 lunamypet

lunamypet

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:20 PM

How come you don't have BUTYLENE GLYCOL

It's definitely a comedogenic ingredient. Who knows how many people have reactions to it.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users