2 replies to this topic

#1 zoomzoom

zoomzoom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:nutrition, diet, exercise

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:19 AM

Hi everyone. I am curious if anyone on this board has been using probiotics to help with digestive health/intestinal microflora in relation to acne. I know the article Acne vulgaris, probiotics and the gut-brain-skin axis - back to the future? has been linked to on the board before, and it somewhat inspired me to try using probiotics after a lengthy time on dermatologist-prescribed antibiotics, of which quitting had left my skin worse than it was before starting the antibiotics.

Anyhow, I have seen moderate improvement with the probiotics I am taking, GNC's Ultra 25 Billion CFUs Probiotic Complex with lactobacillius acidophilius, bifidobacterium bifidum, and bifidobacterium lactis.

I am wondering if any other people have had this experience, and if so, how long did you take the probiotics, and did you results remain once you quit taking them?

#2 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

No one can tell you how long you need to take them, except perhaps by some test. But you shouldn't need to take them all the time if you aren't doing things that destroy them like take antibiotics or things that promote overgrowth of other flora like consume a lot of sugar and refined grains. You can just take several capsules at once, once a month/season/year, but I can't tell you how much or how often.

#3 sepsi

sepsi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me
  • Interests:health, well being, natural healing, sports, diving, reading, internet

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

We still don't have enough reliable data to say much about probiotics. We know they work in some conditions, but the problem is that the benefits can be strain-specific, meaning that one strain works while other has no effect.

Many probiotics also cannot colonize the digestive system. They just pass through but have little long-term effect on the gut flora.

This is why I prefer to eat fermented foods daily. You'll often get a wider intake of probiotic strains, and you know you'll get live bacteria. With little regulation on supplements there's no way to say that those supplements have any viable bacteria.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users