Photo

Clindamycin & Doxycycline Or Retin-A (Tretinoin 0.1%)?

clindamycin doxycycline retin-a tretinoin 0.1% retinoids

2 replies to this topic

#1 Nicholai

Nicholai

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:28 AM

So I recently started using Retin-A/Tretinoin (0.1%) for about a month now. I have been experiencing really bad breakouts (cystic acne; to the point that I have to pop it to release the nasty pus inside) and peeling ever since on it. My skin is so red and flakey, and just so bad in general. I know that this is supposed to happen (initial breakout, side-effects, etc). I have cut back to using it every other day and waiting at least 40 minutes to apply it after I was my face. I also moisturize in the night and use a SPF sunscreen in the day, yet it is still making my face so blotchy and bad.

I was prescribed Clindamycin and Doxycycline last year prior to going on the Retin-A and it made my face clear up completely. I then stopped/took the Clinda and Doxy on and off (not routinely) and my acne started coming back again. Now I am using the Retin-A and my acne has never been this bad. Should I just go back to using the Clindamycin and Doxy (it worked) or should I just stick with the Retin-A? Thanks!

#2 Flyer17

Flyer17

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

Unfortunately you're going to have to give the tretinoin another 2 months or so to see if it's really going to work. Either that or talk to your derm again and explain what's going on.

Doxy really isn't supposed to be a long-term solution, so maybe you can use another round to get clear, but you'll probably have to find something else, too (that may be where the Clindamycin comes into play).

#3 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

So I recently started using Retin-A/Tretinoin (0.1%) for about a month now. I have been experiencing really bad breakouts (cystic acne; to the point that I have to pop it to release the nasty pus inside) and peeling ever since on it. My skin is so red and flakey, and just so bad in general. I know that this is supposed to happen (initial breakout, side-effects, etc). I have cut back to using it every other day and waiting at least 40 minutes to apply it after I was my face. I also moisturize in the night and use a SPF sunscreen in the day, yet it is still making my face so blotchy and bad.

I was prescribed Clindamycin and Doxycycline last year prior to going on the Retin-A and it made my face clear up completely. I then stopped/took the Clinda and Doxy on and off (not routinely) and my acne started coming back again. Now I am using the Retin-A and my acne has never been this bad. Should I just go back to using the Clindamycin and Doxy (it worked) or should I just stick with the Retin-A? Thanks!

Many skin types cannot handle Retin A every day. If I use Retin A every 3 days instead I break out less, am less irritated, but still get the positive effects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users