Photo

Is Benzoyl Peroxide Wash Necessary For Me?

benzoyl peroxide

4 replies to this topic

#1 snsdgirl14

snsdgirl14

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

I have oily-combination, acne-prone skin. I have for years. However, I would say my acne has never gotten past the 'moderate' level. I had a bad breakout a few months ago, but I have been taking Doxy and using Epiduo at night and since then I do not get inflamed pustules anymore. If I do get pimples, they're tiny little whiteheads.

I've been using a mild cleanser for months now (it's like Cetaphil) and it's been working fine for me. However, my derm told me I could use a BP wash as an 'extra kick' although he also said using Cetaphil was fine. He gave me a 5% BP wash. I used it last night and this morning and found my skin to be red and drier from it. I did not think this would happen because my skin is already used to Epiduo (which has BP in it).

My question is, do I really -need- the BP wash? Or can I just continue to use Cetaphil?

#2 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

I've never used a BP was so I can't be sure, but maybe it's just too much at once for your skin. It seems like it's too harsh (maybe because it's combined with the other product) because after just using it once you said it's made your skin red / irritated.You're already using a medicated acne treatment as a way of using BP so I don't know if you really need to use the wash with BP as well. But your derm says it's fine to do. But personally I don't think you'd really need it as you're already getting the BP from the topical you use.

I'd probably continue with just the gentle cleanser and maybe once or twice a week try the BP wash to see how it works for you/how your skin handles it.

#3 snsdgirl14

snsdgirl14

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

Thanks, I think I'm just going to stop using the BP wash because it's dried my skin out a lot from just two uses. My Cetaphil cleanser has been working for me so I'm just going to keep using that and return the BP.

#4 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

Sounds like a good idea then :)

#5 lightersUP

lightersUP

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:04 PM

If you're using a topical BP cream then a BP wash isn't necessary. That said, I've used Oxy Face Wash in the past which contains 10% BP and that alone cleared up my face tremendously. I just washed my face and then slapped on some moisturizer. A BP face wash was better for me because I hated the idea of creams sitting on my face all day and all night. In fact I think I may be going back to that face wash again..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users