Photo

Can Someone Suggest The Most Acne Friendly Protein Powder?

paleo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 Hutchdan

Hutchdan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

It would be better if it was your own experience, or from a trusted source..

I've been going to the gym and i need a fast easy protein source. It has to be paleo and preferably unsweetened if possible..

thanks a lot :D

#2 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Pumpkin seed protein powder

#3 Ripon10

Ripon10

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

I use Shakeology from Beachbody. Their products are quality. They have the protein powder that they use for P90X. I'm sure the ingredients are online. The Shakeology (which is a meal replacement with protein and not a straight protein shake) is great for the skin.

#4 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

gelatin, you know like jello, the gelatinous dessert. no carbs or anything.

cheese and eggs of course are very good sources of protein.

even though most whey protein powders say they are low in lactose, i dont believe the labeling. cheese may be lower in lactose then whey protein, every brand of protein powder may be slightly different but not sure.

#5 Likethesun

Likethesun

tranceaddict

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

Save that $20+ and buy a boat load of eggs or something. Real food wins everytime.

#6 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

I have to agree with likethesun, why do you feel you need a powder? If you eat plenty of calories in the day, with healthy proteins and a lot of veggies you will do good at the gym, no protein powder needed. I say this because I've honestly reacted badly to pretty much every form of protein powder I've ever tried. Whole foods are better.

#7 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

Add me to the real food over protein powder group. Once you're clear, you could experiment methodically to find out what works for you. I hear whey protein isolate works well for a lot of people. The trouble is you can't ever really be sure about these kinds of things, since intolerances are a personal thing.

For quick protein post workout, I like trader Joe's canned wild pink Alaskan salmon. You're getting around 80 grams of protein in a can, plus a heapload of omega 3s! It's about 3 bucks when they carry it. Quite a few people are fond of boiled eggs too.

Are you trying to gain or lose weight btw? I find it's easy for me to hit my protein and carb macros for the most part, but then I get full before I start going into a significant caloric excess, which is important for gaining weight. I haven't seen any data as far as ectomorphs putting on weight and muscle, but the consensus seems to be your weight in lbs I'm grams of protein each day, plus caloric excess.

If you're trying to gain weight, I can't say enough good things about full fat coconut milk. Golden Star is available at wal mart for about a buck fifty with 700 calories per can. If you're near an Asian market, they likely carry Aroy-D coconut cream in quart containers, with 2000 calories per carton for 3 bucks! They're both BPA free, but the Aroy-D tastes better and is a better deal, but it can be hard to find depending on where you live. Throw in a banana, and you have an easy high calorie drink!

Edited by tim12, 17 August 2012 - 02:55 PM.

#8 ManFeelings

ManFeelings

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

I say just eat eggs bro. They're both complete proteins. Just eat a bit of egg between each sets, that's what I do.

#9 Hutchdan

Hutchdan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

I have to agree with likethesun, why do you feel you need a powder? If you eat plenty of calories in the day, with healthy proteins and a lot of veggies you will do good at the gym, no protein powder needed. I say this because I've honestly reacted badly to pretty much every form of protein powder I've ever tried. Whole foods are better.

I do agree it is a better alternative but it takes A LOT of protein to reach my target. 280grams some days. I've eaten 500grams of organic beef today to meet those needs. It's not sustainable. I don't know why people are suggesting eggs when the average egg only has 7grams. Yes it helps but it's not enough. Of course i've researched this stuff before hand..

Add me to the real food over protein powder group. Once you're clear, you could experiment methodically to find out what works for you. I hear whey protein isolate works well for a lot of people. The trouble is you can't ever really be sure about these kinds of things, since intolerances are a personal thing.

For quick protein post workout, I like trader Joe's canned wild pink Alaskan salmon. You're getting around 80 grams of protein in a can, plus a heapload of omega 3s! It's about 3 bucks when they carry it. Quite a few people are fond of boiled eggs too.

Are you trying to gain or lose weight btw? I find it's easy for me to hit my protein and carb macros for the most part, but then I get full before I start going into a significant caloric excess, which is important for gaining weight. I haven't seen any data as far as ectomorphs putting on weight and muscle, but the consensus seems to be your weight in lbs I'm grams of protein each day, plus caloric excess.

If you're trying to gain weight, I can't say enough good things about full fat coconut milk. Golden Star is available at wal mart for about a buck fifty with 700 calories per can. If you're near an Asian market, they likely carry Aroy-D coconut cream in quart containers, with 2000 calories per carton for 3 bucks! They're both BPA free, but the Aroy-D tastes better and is a better deal, but it can be hard to find depending on where you live. Throw in a banana, and you have an easy high calorie drink!

This is a good answer thanks, this is a viable option, have you personally tried whey protein isolate or any other protein powder brands? Did you get a reaction? Unfortunately last time i drank full fat coconut milk i think it caused stomach cramps, i also had an intolerance test which showed coconuts may be a problem ( or i was just having too many so i overloaded the body idk)

#10 takenimpulse

takenimpulse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

A can of tuna. Same amount of protein as 1 scoop of powder.

#11 Lee1234

Lee1234

Wanderer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Just started bulking again on my 8th cycle and still acne free. I take "Ultimate precision engineered" protein powder (though I stay away from the chocolate flavour). It contains 20 grams of protein per scoop, 103 calories and I believe is lacto-free (as well as a few other positive things). Try it out.

Edited by Lee1234, 17 August 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#12 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

Egg yolks will damage your heart in the long run. Have liquid egg whites only.

#13 AndersCh1m

AndersCh1m

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

Try Soy Protein Isolate, or Whey isolate. Both are highly refined, Whey Isolate contains little to no lactose, and Soy Isolate has almost no phytoestrogen compounds left. It depends on the cost really, there are other vegetable sources like Pea, or Hemp, or Brown Rice, but they are harder to flavor or find reliable suppliers.

even though most whey protein powders say they are low in lactose, i dont believe the labeling. cheese may be lower in lactose then whey protein, every brand of protein powder may be slightly different but not sure.

As in the protein that the human body can't digest?

I do agree it is a better alternative but it takes A LOT of protein to reach my target. 280grams some days. I've eaten 500grams of organic beef today to meet those needs. It's not sustainable. I don't know why people are suggesting eggs when the average egg only has 7grams. Yes it helps but it's not enough. Of course i've researched this stuff before hand..

Are you running steroids that significantly increase protein synthesis? Or in a huge caloric deficit?

Why's that? Don't say cholesterol.

Edited by AndersCh1m, 18 August 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#14 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

This is a good answer thanks, this is a viable option, have you personally tried whey protein isolate or any other protein powder brands? Did you get a reaction? Unfortunately last time i drank full fat coconut milk i think it caused stomach cramps, i also had an intolerance test which showed coconuts may be a problem ( or i was just having too many so i overloaded the body idk)

I personally haven't tried whey protein isolate, but there are a few others here who are clear, but acne prone & can break out from various dietary factors, and they take it with no skin problem. It's worth experimenting if it's what you're looking for! I haven't looked too much into it, but whey has some pretty nice health benefits, provided you aren't intolerant.

Yeah, coconut milk took some adjusting for me as well. It could be that it was too much too soon; there's upregulation of fat digesting enzymes over time. I couldn't even have half a can before, but now I can get about a whole cups worth in one sitting. It could be a genuine intolerance for you though, so again, experiment! And don't forget to weight in confounding factors, like if you've been sleeping well, stress levels, and things of that sort.

Good luck!

Edited by tim12, 18 August 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#15 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Try Soy Protein Isolate, or Whey isolate. Both are highly refined, Whey Isolate contains little to no lactose, and Soy Isolate has almost no phytoestrogen compounds left. It depends on the cost really, there are other vegetable sources like Pea, or Hemp, or Brown Rice, but they are harder to flavor or find reliable suppliers.

Are you running steroids that significantly increase protein synthesis? Or in a huge caloric deficit?

http://www.cbsnews.c...es-study-shows/

#16 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

From that article:

Karen Harvey of the Egg Farmers of Canada countered that claim to the CBC, saying "We have decades of clinical research demonstrating no link between egg consumption and an increased risk of heart disease."

Across the border, Dr. Thomas Behrenbeck, a cardiologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., wrote in a blog, "Although eating too many eggs can increase your cholesterol, eating four egg yolks or fewer on a weekly basis hasn't been found to increase your risk of heart disease."

According to the American Egg Board, an industry group, more than 40 years of research supports eggs' role in a healthy diet without significantly impacting risk for heart disease. It also cites new USDA research that eggs contain 14 percent less cholesterol than previously thought (now 185 milligrams) and contain higher amounts of vitamin D than previously known.

"Studies demonstrate that healthy adults can enjoy an egg a day without increasing their risk for heart disease, particularly if individuals opt for low cholesterol foods throughout the day," the Board said.

Eggs are fine, as long as you don't go overboard with them. Just like many other food sources. Variation is key.

#17 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Hmm funny cuz I've read that you don't much need the egg whites, egg yolks are the most nutritious parts. Plus the white contain more amount of the damaging substance.

#18 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

heres a new twist on the data collection from that study, what do they cook their eggs in? perhaps egg eating consumption is merely associated with more butter consumption. studys like these that simply ask questions, but not the right ones, come up with strange data and even stranger conclusions. when reveiwing multiple studies over the years, good ones, you will see cholesterol doesnt effect serum cholesterol values as much as certain types of saturated fat, and even levels of blood cholesterol doesnt even predict heart disease, its also merely associated with it. its a complex issue, but cholesterol is not a problem and is not a prime causative agent. chronic inflammation is more likely a causative issue. m sure there is something behind the data, but im not sure the conclusions they draw from that data, are justified. im not sure what types of conclusion we can come to from this information, definitly nothing too conclusive, their is a relationship, but eggs are healthy, and choline is a required nutrient, and its in the yolk with the cholesterol.

#19 Hutchdan

Hutchdan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:38 AM

love where this thread is going...

If i avoid most protein powders for acne, i'm not gonna be taking steroids ;)
Yes, the program i'm following suggests a massive intake of calories but i'm still losing weight :(

#20 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

I have to say, IMO it's harder to gain weight on a whole foods diet. The key is to keep eating! You'll gain weight eventually! Chowing down on copious amounts of carbs will also help shuttle the nutrients into your muscles. It's unfortunate, but the whole insulin spiking igf-1 scene we have working out may inevitably lead to some temporary breakouts. Try and experiment with potatoes, sweet potatoes, starchy tubers in general, and variations of rice. I personally can eat those foods post workout without any breakouts worth worrying about, maybe the odd lone whitehead here and there, BUT WANT DEM MUSCLES.

Also, if you're already lean, then most of your weight gain will likely be muscle. Olympic/compound/freeweights are great for that sorta thing. Plus, who doesn't like deadlifts!?! :P