accutane low dose prescription help ultra isotretinoin maintenance

92 replies to this topic

#41 secretsky

secretsky

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:05 AM

Man, I'm on birth control thats suppose to prevent acne for years now, on antibiotics, and accutane....why this mess?!!

#42 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Oh my god....woke up this morning with EIGHT cysts!!!! 4 on each side of my face Posted Image((( I can't believe this! I never used to get acne on my left cheek either ;-(( I am SOOO depressed today its not even funny ;-(( I'm starting a new job on Sunday too...boohoo. I usually don't wear makeup because I don't want to aggrevate my acne.

Words of encouragement will really help today!!

Posted Image(

I feel for you, Secret =[. We have all, as acne sufferers, been there. There is nothing worse than looking in the mirror every night, not liking what you see, hoping for it to be better in the morning, only to have it look worse when you wake up. I'm sure everyone on this site has experienced this!

You just need to realize that, as far as we're concerned, there is no miracle cure for acne, yet. We all know that Accutane, the one drug destined to clear just about anyone, takes dreadful amounts of time. Sometimes, especially with Accutane, it can be one step forward and two steps back. Other times it may be 3 steps forward and no steps back!

You can only do a few things mentally right now:

1. One of the hardest things for us acne sufferers to do. You HAVE to realize that you analyze yourself far more critically than anyone in the public would ever. Odds are, the only people who REALLY notice your acne are other acne sufferers. I realize that with myself, I will take note of people with acne because, like I said earlier, we empathize with each other.

2. You must look forward and try to disregard the now (at least in terms of you skin). You will be so amazed once the Accutane kicks in and you already know that! You just need to fight through it, realize that this stage doesn't matter. Often, to cheer myself up, I would think about all the people I was around who saw me as an acne sufferer and imagine their reactions when my face cleared up! The positives far outweigh the negatives in the end result!

#43 secretsky

secretsky

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Thanks Akanel....I really needed those words of encouragement! Its funny though, I really don't remember this on my first try at accutane at all!
Some of the buggers actually came to a white head throughout the day and I was able to pop 4 of them because they were ready to come out. I know popping is a no no, and I normally don't but this batch or acne I've noticed that if I don't it just stays there and then will swell up again later on again even after it goes down. So I sterile the area, poke it and with a little push stuff just gushes out (I know disgusting, sorry for the graphics).

I thought with the antibiotics and birth control things should be under control, I guess I was wrong :-/
I'm trying to stay positive, but on days like this, its darn hard!
But again, I really am glad you were able to respond. Just made me feel a whole lot better.
Thank Akanel!
Take care,
Secretsky

#44 Prowlerjunky

Prowlerjunky

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hi,

I took Accutane 12 years ago with great success, I have been pretty much acne free since, just a few pimples here and there. My biggest problem since then has been oily skin, I have never seen anyone with skin as oily as mine, I wash my face and 15 minutes later it is puddling on my face in the pores. I have spent literally thousands of dollars on products and vitamines that never work, the best product I have found is OC8, but it is a cover up and does nothing to help stop the oil, and it is very expensive and lasts about 2 hours for me. After giving up on fly by night products I have started taking Accutane, I am now taking 10mg a day and have been taking it for 3 weeks now and the oil is at least 80% gone, and my large pores and rosacea are all but gone ..This medication is amazing. I am going to take the 10mg a day for one month, at that time I will drop the intake to 10mg every 3 days for 2-3 weeks and hopefully drop down to 10mg once a week to 10 days depending on how the oil comes back. Taking the Ultra Low Dose has not caused much, if any side effects, only thing is a little flaking skin around my nose and dry lips. Taking this medication can be life changing for some people, I myself feel much more confident and it is great not having to blot my face with toilet paper 20 times a day and wash it 3 times a day. I am doing this on my own by getting the pills online, when I took Accutane 12 years ago I had zero problems with liver function and that was taking 40mg a day for 5 months so I feel very confident that 10mg will cause no problems, but I do plan to have blood work done in about 2 months. Those of you out there taking 40mg and even 60mg a day should really consider droping down to a lower dose and give it some time to work, it is a lot easier on your system. If anyone out there is currently taking this low of a dose or even lower please chime in and let me know how it has worked.

#45 secretsky

secretsky

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

Hi Prowler Junky,
I'm glad the ultra low dose is working for you!. I'm still waiting for mine to kick in. I am however on 20 mg a day for persistent moderate to severe acne that doesn't want to go away. I've been on it for a month now with no change. In fact I have more acne now then i did when I started :-( I took 40 - 80 mg a day a few years ago and was really clear, but it came back really bad :-( Acne sucks. Its really depressing to even look in the mirror now a days. I've never been this soo depressed before about it.

Are you with a doctor or are you doing this independently?
I find it interesting that different parts of the world have different ways on giving this medication. I temporarily moved over seas and I can just go and ask for it...no questions asked. Where as when I was in the US I had to register with the iPledge program every month.

Anyhow, I hope that the medication continues to work for you.

#46 secretsky

secretsky

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Goodness, began week 5 and not much improvement except for the fact that the pimples that come (still 4-5 at a time) are smaller and come to a white head faster then they did before. Is that a good sign? How long after that should it just stop?!!! I know everyone is different, but sometimes knowing how others went through it would be helpful :-/

#47 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Just keep pushing through it, secret. Your case of acne seems just to be more difficult than mine so I fear my experience may not provide the best example. All I can tell you is that it will work! It just needs time =/. Keep this thread updated!

#48 girl86

girl86

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

I will come out and say this.

I have been on low dose accutane since Nov 2005. That would mean that I have been on it for 7 years! Holy.. In the beginning, I took 2 20mg pills per week. I was clear within 3 weeks, save for the acne marks. With consistent use of tretinion cream, I almost had movie star flawless skin at the end of 6 months. Then, I weaned down to 1 20mg pill every 5 days, and now, 1 20mg pill per week.

I have been on 20mg/week for the past 4-5 years. I will have you know that I have no side effects whatsoever, save for dry lips, which i like to peel. I always had dry lips anyway so no difference. No joint pains, no back aches - I go to the gym 3 times a week. I'm a medical student, and I with the stress that that comes with, I never had any breakouts during the exam period. It was almost wonderful.

Almost....

My complexion before accutane was normal, had the usual teen acne every TOM, but other than that, pretty clear. Broke out bad in 2005, oily skin, improved a bit on AHAs. Long story short, I had no qualms on taking accutane.

Now, with the stress of clinical year, my skin still remained largely perfect, but i realized an increase in blacheads, closed comedones, and one cyst that I had stuck around for >3 months! It was pretty distressing for someone who walked around with flawless skin for 7 years. I stuck it out, used mandelic acid, which btw, GOD SENT.

This post is for the acne sufferers out there, who have SUFFERED ENOUGH, depressed and down about their complexion - TAKE IT.

#49 secretsky

secretsky

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Thanks Akanel.
I'm still pretty bad on the face. It's really kind of weird this time around on accutane. I'm starting to think that there's something bacterial that cephalexin isn't good for. It's just weird. I've stopped picking at my face and just use the accutane, moisturizer, and glycolic thing at night. But absolutely no improvement as far as acne reduction.
I still get many pimples at a time on one side of my face and once it begins to heal it comes out on the other side of my face. Plus that huge cyst thing that is still there. SO, not a happy camper. I am however going to go and see a new derm. I think the one I am with doesn't know much about persistent stubborn acne. I hope the new doc can figure something out. We shall see. But I will keep you posted.

Thanks again,
secretsky

#50 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

Hey there, everyone!

Just checking in because I know it's been a while. College has kept me from updating or even checking in often. You forget things here! Just to update people, my face is doing excellent and that is on one 20mg pill twice a week: once on tuesday on once on friday. I take nothing other than the Accutane and apply nothing. I still wash my face with Purpose gentle cleanser and moisturize with the amazing Vanicream Lite lotion. I have no dryness at all, no unusual muscle soreness that I can think of (I crossfit everyday), no joint kinks or pains; everything seems to be in line.

I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH MY DECISION TO TAKE LOW DOSE ACCUTANE. It has changed my life thus far. I no longer live in anxiety waking up each morning, wondering about my acne. It's amazing what clear skin can do for a person's quality of life. 

Secretsky,

Please update on how you are doing! Did you stick with the Accutane? Are things better?

Edited by AKanel, 19 May 2013 - 01:21 AM.

#51 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

Any of you guys get clear from 20 mg of accutane 4-5 x a week?

#52 rarrrgh

rarrrgh

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

Bump?

#53 Azalin

Azalin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:52 AM

I was taking 40 mg's a day every 4 days. I was on that regimen for about 8 months when I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Some days this is much worse then acne, because you feel bloated, sick to the stomach, and get sharp pains a lot of the time, and unlike acne, I will have this my entire life. So just remember to be careful of Accutane. Just do a search online and you can find thousands of people that have had links to it developing severe stomach issues such as IBS, Crohns Disease, and Bowel / Colon Cancer. Be careful !!

#54 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:03 AM

I was taking 40 mg's a day every 4 days. I was on that regimen for about 8 months when I developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Some days this is much worse then acne, because you feel bloated, sick to the stomach, and get sharp pains a lot of the time, and unlike acne, I will have this my entire life. So just remember to be careful of Accutane. Just do a search online and you can find thousands of people that have had links to it developing severe stomach issues such as IBS, Crohns Disease, and Bowel / Colon Cancer. Be careful !!

Thank you for your concern, but keep this thread free of horror stories/warnings, there are various other threads/topics where they are welcome. Most of us understand that there are groups of people out there that experience issues -- issues that may or may not be caused by Accutane. However, the information in this thread needs to remain positive and on topic with low-dose Accutane, and the experiences associated with said doses. 

Edited by AKanel, 19 May 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#55 Azalin

Azalin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

Thank you for your concern, but keep this thread free of horror stories/warnings, there are various other threads/topics where they are welcome. Most of us understand that there are groups of people out there that experience issues -- issues that may or may not be caused by Accutane. However, the information in this thread needs to remain positive and on topic with low-dose Accutane, and the experiences associated with said doses. 

Yea, you mentioned the experience with said dose, and that is what I am doing. To be quite honest most people don't know the risks. People just hear about IB's, dry lips, and possible thinning of hair. That is the LEAST of your worries. I use to hate to hear the horror stories as well because it was my life saver in many ways. It wasn't until I started feeing the way I do did I look around for the " horror stories". If I had read them beforehand, I probably never would of taken it. When it comes to Accutane and most prescription medicine, ignorance is bliss; please don't be that naive, do your research before you commit.

#56 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

Yea, you mentioned the experience with said dose, and that is what I am doing. To be quite honest most people don't know the risks. People just hear about IB's, dry lips, and possible thinning of hair. That is the LEAST of your worries. I use to hate to hear the horror stories as well because it was my life saver in many ways. It wasn't until I started feeing the way I do did I look around for the " horror stories". If I had read them beforehand, I probably never would of taken it. When it comes to Accutane and most prescription medicine, ignorance is bliss; please don't be that naive, do your research before you commit.

Fair enough, but please don't assume ignorance of people just because they are taking the medication. I can assure you that I, as well as many others, have done countless hours of research on Accutane, specifically on ultra low-dosing, and have read the warnings and opposition. Often, it is safe to assume that if someone is even taking the time to post on an acne related website in regard to Accutane, they have probably done research elsewhere as well.

Simply put, there are far more people who have taken, and are currently taking, ultra low-dose Accutane with no side effects than otherwise. For many, this is enough to justify taking the medication.

If the medicine can provide someone with happiness and improve their quality of life, that benefit often outweighs the possible risks. 

#57 shyamb

shyamb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

Hi all

I am 24, 85 kgs. I have had mild acne on my face since I was 15, but when I turned 18, I also started developing acne on my shoulders and back. 

I always thought I would "grow out" of it but haven't yet. Anyway, I went and saw a dermatologist last week and he has recommended that I take Accutane. I haven't started it  yet and I thought I would do some research as I am due to start it this week. I am a little scared of the side effects that can be present with Accutane espescially the hair loss one, or dry eyes!

Have you guys heard of a case or may be you have gone through it, where by accutane not only helps your face but also your body? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#58 AKanel

AKanel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

Hi all

I am 24, 85 kgs. I have had mild acne on my face since I was 15, but when I turned 18, I also started developing acne on my shoulders and back. 

I always thought I would "grow out" of it but haven't yet. Anyway, I went and saw a dermatologist last week and he has recommended that I take Accutane. I haven't started it  yet and I thought I would do some research as I am due to start it this week. I am a little scared of the side effects that can be present with Accutane espescially the hair loss one, or dry eyes!

Have you guys heard of a case or may be you have gone through it, where by accutane not only helps your face but also your body? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Accutane will help with any acne anywhere on the body. If your concern is whether or not it will help your back and chest acne, you need not fret! Rest assured it will help!

#59 shyamb

shyamb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hi again.

Thanks for the help. 

I am going to be on 20 mg a day, as far as my research goes.. I haven't seen anyone develop severe side effects with that dosage.

Again, like I said in the post before, I am a little scared of the hair loss and depression.

As a past user of Accutane, What do you think?

#60 wll37

wll37

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:My dream is to have a clear skin with the help of medications + healthy diet + healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

hello, I wonder how long does it take for low dose roaccutane to clear up acne? I'm now taking 10 mg roaccutane daily. It's been a month and I still get acne, sometimes cystic acne. I only experienced the side effects though, dry lips and eczema on my back and my face. Do you guys wear sunblock while on accutane? I know that it's a must while on accutane, but i'm always having breakout after wearing sunblock.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users