Photo

Fruits/vitamin C Are Bad For Acne

vitamin vitamins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 BSDetector

BSDetector

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:26 AM

They stimulate the immune system, which is the last thing you want if you are an acne sufferer.

I'm chuckling at all the posts with people recommending a lot of fruit consumption. If there's one type of food you actually should avoid, it's fruit.
Foods to avoid: Meat, dairy, fruits, vegetables, grains, fats/sweets....
Crediblity-ending words: "Leaky Gut," "Tea Tree Oil," "toxins," "milk is meant for baby cows," "over-washing causes your skin to produce more oil," "mild soap," "green tea," "jojoba oil," "comedogenic," "veggies," "amazing," "creepy," "yummy," "regime," "stress"

#2 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:59 AM

I hadn't heard that connection between vitamin C and acne before - I've heard the idea that reducing fruit consumption could help with acne because of the sugar and the effect of sugar in the body but not about vit C. I might do some research into that.

Started The Acne.org Regimen 2nd July 2013

#3 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

Totally untrue. Posts like these should be removed from this section. Vitamin C/B6 lowers blood sugar levels. Fruits contains enzymes, prebiotics, fibre, laxative,cools the liver etc to help prevent acne. An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

#4 AcneIsACurse

AcneIsACurse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:32 AM

The only thing that makes fruit bad for acne sufferers is the sugar, but fruits have many vitamins and antioxidants that are very important for health. So I think fruits are good in moderation, not too much but they shouldn't be cut out of your diet.
18 years old, acne sufferer for 5 years, both of my parents had acne into their 20s, many of my family members had acne, but not nearly as bad as mine.

My acne.org regimen log

What I currently use:
Cleanser: Basis Sensitive Skin Bar
Treatment: Acne.org 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide
Sunscreen (only during the day): Neutrogena Clear Face SPF 30 Sunblock

#5 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

I think someone's detector is broken...

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#6 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

BS.

I think someone's detector is broken...

It never worked.

Vitamin C is essential for so many processes that affect acne. Adrenal health which affects hormones, for example. It's also anti-inflammatory and antihistiamine. It's needed to produce new cells. All of them. It's needed to heal. It's needed to grow bones. And you need several thousand mg per day, not the 90 that's the RDA. More if you are sick or healing an injury.

And if I were you, I would not be doing things to weaken your immune system these days with all the anti-biotic resistant bacteria and the flu and other viri pandemics.

I hadn't heard that connection between vitamin C and acne before - I've heard the idea that reducing fruit consumption could help with acne because of the sugar and the effect of sugar in the body but not about vit C. I might do some research into that.

Don't waste your time.

Edited by alternativista, 13 August 2012 - 01:24 PM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#7 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

LOL telling people to avoid vitamin C is as bad as telling them to avoid the sun!

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

#8 tritonxiv

tritonxiv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

Vitamin C is essential for health.Without it you would die.

I think this thread should be deleted.

#9 BSDetector

BSDetector

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Un...believable.

So the dime-store pop nutritionist folks on this board will start threads about every kind of food worsening acne and nobody bats an eye or calls it "ridiculous," but I post something that not only actually makes sense, but correlates to increased breakouts in me (I recently stopped eating fruit and my acne has never been the same since), and people call it ridiculous and want the thread deleted.

I predicted this much. Glad to see my wisdom is as sharp as ever. I might be Nostradamus reincarnated. Anything that goes against people's clueless views on nutrition (fruits & vegetables good, meat and dairy and sweets baaaaaaad) must be wrong and idiotic. But the science you guys use to prove the diet/acne link you subscribe to is simple trial-and-error for people on this forum.

I wouldn't entirely eliminate Vitamin C from the diet (after all, you don't want to get scurvy), but I suspect people around here tend to get way more Vitamin C than they actually need. If you have severe acne, your immune system is working just fine. It's likely working too well, actually.

As for the healing process - I have noticed no difference in my skin healing when I consume a lot of Vitamin C, as opposed to very little. The Vitamin C just triggers increased skin sensitivity, meaning there's more to heal.
Crediblity-ending words: "Leaky Gut," "Tea Tree Oil," "toxins," "milk is meant for baby cows," "over-washing causes your skin to produce more oil," "mild soap," "green tea," "jojoba oil," "comedogenic," "veggies," "amazing," "creepy," "yummy," "regime," "stress"

#10 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

I can only speak for myself but I didn't say it was wrong to avoid fruits if it worked for you. But saying to avoid vitamin C because it stimulates the immune system and is therefore bad for acne is just plain wrong. The fruit thing is a different issue. Vitamin C is not only necessary to have healthy functioning skin, it's necessary to not die. I see you acknowledged that now, though.

For the record, most regulars on this forum, (I'd say more than half of us) do not say meat is bad. We say that meat is important in small amounts in a healthy diet for the complete protein and other nutrition it offers.

Edited by dejaclairevoyant, 13 August 2012 - 02:35 PM.

Morning:

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Evening:

#11 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

Excessive vitamin C from supplements might be bad but no not at all fruits. If not acne u need to eat fruits to prevent cold, constipation and even more serious diseases like cancer and this coming verified from the doctor. You can do fruit fasting for a few days and I am pretty sure you wont breakout at all.

#12 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

Un...believable.

So the dime-store pop nutritionist folks on this board will start threads about every kind of food worsening acne and nobody bats an eye or calls it "ridiculous," but I post something that not only actually makes sense, but correlates to increased breakouts in me (I recently stopped eating fruit and my acne has never been the same since), and people call it ridiculous and want the thread deleted.

I predicted this much. Glad to see my wisdom is as sharp as ever. I might be Nostradamus reincarnated. Anything that goes against people's clueless views on nutrition (fruits & vegetables good, meat and dairy and sweets baaaaaaad) must be wrong and idiotic. But the science you guys use to prove the diet/acne link you subscribe to is simple trial-and-error for people on this forum.

I wouldn't entirely eliminate Vitamin C from the diet (after all, you don't want to get scurvy), but I suspect people around here tend to get way more Vitamin C than they actually need. If you have severe acne, your immune system is working just fine. It's likely working too well, actually.

As for the healing process - I have noticed no difference in my skin healing when I consume a lot of Vitamin C, as opposed to very little. The Vitamin C just triggers increased skin sensitivity, meaning there's more to h

When a post has merit, we agree, discus, add, etc. When it's debatable, we debate. When it's stupid we say so.

deliberately trying to inhibit your immune system because you think it might help reduce acne is bad advice.

Many people break out from fruit. It isn't because of the vitamin c. It's the glycemic impact and fructose malabsorption. Both of which can be improved. And in some cases, a food intolerance. I get cysts from most forms of citrus, but it's not about the vitamin c. There's more in a red bell pepper which I have no problem with. I am intolerant to many citrus fruits which cause the reaction of a cyst the next day.

when you tried vitamin c, did you consume it all at once or all day long? It does you no good to Take a thousand mg supplement once or twice a day. You can't use that much at a time and it'll pass out of your body in a few hours. you need it in smaller amounts throughout the day.

Edited by alternativista, 13 August 2012 - 08:55 PM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#13 LZOMG

LZOMG

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Not true,
their has been many studies comparing western to non western diets where people get carbs from fruits and not wheat (like we do) and those people dont even get closed comedones. (the least severe form of acne)
Vote For Obama 2012 to make Health Care available to all even those with pre-existing conditions like acne. Help future teens who have no access to health care battle there acne by electing the man who will support the Affordable Health Care Act better known as Obamacare.
And dont let Romney Win, he will do everything to repeal ObamaCare. More info on link below
http://www.acne.org/...vote-for-obama/

#14 BSDetector

BSDetector

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

When a post has merit, we agree, discus, add, etc. When it's debatable, we debate. When it's stupid we say so.

deliberately trying to inhibit your immune system because you think it might help reduce acne is bad advice.

Many people break out from fruit. It isn't because of the vitamin c. It's the glycemic impact and fructose malabsorption. Both of which can be improved. And in some cases, a food intolerance. I get cysts from most forms of citrus, but it's not about the vitamin c. There's more in a red bell pepper which I have no problem with. I am intolerant to many citrus fruits which cause the reaction of a cyst the next day.

How convenient. If it's the sugar, how come all the chocolate chip cookies I eat aren't causing me to break out? I've stopped eating those before and seen no improvement. When I stop eating fruit, it's a noticeable improvement.

when you tried vitamin c, did you consume it all at once or all day long? It does you no good to Take a thousand mg supplement once or twice a day. You can't use that much at a time and it'll pass out of your body in a few hours. you need it in smaller amounts throughout the day.

I consumed my Vitamin C through diet alone. Lots of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, kiwi, etc.

Whenever I consume large amounts of Vitamin C, especially after not having had nearly as much recently, I get allergy/cold-like symptoms. And, I tend to break out more...and that doesn't go away until I stop consuming the extra Vitamin C.

Not true,
their has been many studies comparing western to non western diets where people get carbs from fruits and not wheat (like we do) and those people dont even get closed comedones. (the least severe form of acne)

People with different genes who don't have acne.

I'm not saying Vitamin C causes acne. I'm saying it worsens it.

#15 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

Why would it worsen it? It sounds like you're intolerant to the fruit. Or rather, some of the fruit you are eating.

Morning:

Evening:

#16 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

Cause of your acne might not be due to food. Maybe excessive DHT. Eat more cooling fruits like apples, melons, pear, grapes and cleansing fruits like plums, papaya, pine apple, mango

#17 James*

James*

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

Why would it worsen it? It sounds like you're intolerant to the fruit. Or rather, some of the fruit you are eating.

Agree.
@BSDetector: Plus, it seems you've formulated a general rule of health by extrapolating from your own personal experience.
It's much more likely that you have a problem with some fruits than they are the culprit. A vast number of people's own experience contradict your own.

#18 SendMeAngels

SendMeAngels

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

I cut sweets (candy, ice cream, cookies) out of my diet, I have them once a week as a treat but that is it. I replaced the candy with fruit and I wind up eating around 2-3 servings a day. And I will say with full sincerity that my body and skin look much better. I do have some acne marks from a recent IB from starting Retin A Micro but my skin looks much better. While I'm sure some people are sensitive to some fruits, I think that most people should be eating them and that the benefits outweigh the very small risks.

I would like to mention that I spent the summer in Peru and while I was in the mountains, people lived on dairy products and fruit. I don't recall seeing one individual with more than one or two pimples. Most of them had none. There was no fast food, no processed food, nothing. I really do think that for SOME people, diet is key.