Photo

The Best Cleanser For Sensitive Skin?

cleanser acne oily skin sensitive skin obagi green tea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 pocketfulofsunshine

pocketfulofsunshine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

I've been using the Obagi gentle cleanser for a long time and I'm not sure it's really doing anything for my skin! It costs so much that I've been thinking of switching to something cheaper, but I'm not sure what! I've been considering Cetaphil. I have extremely fair, sensitive skin that's prone to redness and oiliness and breaks out easily, so I'm having trouble finding something. Do any of you use any natural or organic products that are working for you or have found a face wash that's very gentle and doesn't cause breakouts? And have any of you used Obagi before? I'm also trying to get rid of dark spots!

Current regimen:

Morning
25mg Spiro
wash with Obagi gentle cleanser

Evening
Loestrin 24 fe (birth control)
25mg Spiro
wash with Obagi gentle cleanser
Treat bigger pimples with Zeno hot spot
Spot treat with Acne free sulfur mask and/or use green tea topically
"If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try." --Seth Godin

#2 Clearwaters

Clearwaters

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

I have sensitive skin too. I bought a new cleanser a few days and I am stoked with it. Finally! Billie Goat unscented cleanser bar, based on goats milk and saponified oils. It's fan-freakin-tastic. Gives a good clean with absolutely no irritation or drying. I use the moisturiser that goes with it. Don't know if it's available where you are. It's Australian made.

#3 Torquemonster

Torquemonster

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

I have somewhat oily and very sensitive skin too. I've been using Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash twice a day for 7 months and like it pretty well. Soap-free, oil-free, hypoallergenic, non-comeodonic, lathers good, rinses good. Readily available in many stores and not too expensive. For me it's good with the oil control but doesn't dry me out too much. It is a popular cleanser and there are lots of on-line reviews of it. I've tried cetaphil cleansers before bit didn't like them (broke me out, didn't rinse well, smelled like cheap cologne). I also use a sulfur based cleanser once per day and take 100mg doxycyline. Best my skin has looked in many years. Good luck.

Edited by torquemonster, 11 August 2012 - 09:59 PM.

#4 helpfulheart

helpfulheart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

Have you tried Dan's cleanser? I found it to be gentle. Also raw organic honey works well if that's your thing.

#5 pocketfulofsunshine

pocketfulofsunshine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

Thanks, guys! I'll look into those! I have a sulfur mask that I use as a spot treatment, so a sulfur cleanser sounds like a good idea!
I haven't tried Dan's cleanser yet because I really had no idea where to even start and the last time I bought face stuff online, it was Proactiv!
I'm thinking about trying honey soon and I'm about to buy some Apple Cider Vinegar and see how that works!

#6 Torquemonster

Torquemonster

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:35 AM

Sunshine, the sulfur cleanser I use is prescription only through a dermatologist. It is called Prascion and has been working really nicely for me. Took about 4-5 weeks to get me cleared up. I don't recollect seeing OTC sulfur cleansers in my travels to typical stores. You may strike out, or have to visit a derm. Hopefully I am wrong.

Edited by torquemonster, 18 August 2012 - 12:36 AM.

#7 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Sunshine, the sulfur cleanser I use is prescription only through a dermatologist. It is called Prascion and has been working really nicely for me. Took about 4-5 weeks to get me cleared up. I don't recollect seeing OTC sulfur cleansers in my travels to typical stores. You may strike out, or have to visit a derm. Hopefully I am wrong.

How's the fragrance in that prescription sulfur soap? I like sulfur-based products (for my son) but the strong fragrance used to mask the sulfur smell can be a problem.

I have sensitive skin too. I bought a new cleanser a few days and I am stoked with it. Finally! Billie Goat unscented cleanser bar, based on goats milk and saponified oils. It's fan-freakin-tastic. Gives a good clean with absolutely no irritation or drying. I use the moisturiser that goes with it. Don't know if it's available where you are. It's Australian made.

Glad to hear that you found a cleanser that you like!

#8 Torquemonster

Torquemonster

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

The masking fragrance in the Prascion sulfur cleanser is very light. I smell a little sulfur aroma more than any fragrance. I read some reviews complaining about the sulfur aroma but it was mostly from people using the product on their entire torso. I only use it on face and neck so the aroma really hasn't bugged me. I think there is a supply issue or possible product discontinuation happening with the Prascion though. It has been back-ordered at my pharmacy for quite a few weeks now. When I last checked the pharm believed the manufacturer is no longer making the stuff. I saw similar comments ongoogle too. My recent prescription had to be filled with a generic version of the cleanser. Sure hope it works as well as the Prascion.....only thing I've found in 30 yrs that has cleared my skin!

#9 clambak3

clambak3

OG

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

Thanks, guys! I'll look into those! I have a sulfur mask that I use as a spot treatment, so a sulfur cleanser sounds like a good idea!
I haven't tried Dan's cleanser yet because I really had no idea where to even start and the last time I bought face stuff online, it was Proactiv!
I'm thinking about trying honey soon and I'm about to buy some Apple Cider Vinegar and see how that works!

Apple Cider Vinegar is the best thing to happen to my face since.. ever. I hate buying things online too, mostly because I am very impatient.
I've heard some people get an initial breakout from ACV but it doesn't last long. I made the mistake of not rinsing it off and that is a little harsh on your skin.

Honey is super nice as a mask and I like to mix lemon juice in to get rid of dark spots.

I think Purpose would be the perfect face wash. Anything super gentle like that is awesome. Hope you find what works for you. ^_^

yinyang.gifStephanie
AM & PM
Cleanse with Clean & Clear Sensitive Foaming Facial Cleanser
Moisturize with Simple Hydrating Light Moisturizer

Tone with Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera
*EVERY OTHER NIGHT: Raw Manuka Honey Face Mask overnight

Never felt happier with my skin! amused.gif

#10 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

The masking fragrance in the Prascion sulfur cleanser is very light. I smell a little sulfur aroma more than any fragrance. I read some reviews complaining about the sulfur aroma but it was mostly from people using the product on their entire torso. I only use it on face and neck so the aroma really hasn't bugged me. I think there is a supply issue or possible product discontinuation happening with the Prascion though. It has been back-ordered at my pharmacy for quite a few weeks now. When I last checked the pharm believed the manufacturer is no longer making the stuff. I saw similar comments ongoogle too. My recent prescription had to be filled with a generic version of the cleanser. Sure hope it works as well as the Prascion.....only thing I've found in 30 yrs that has cleared my skin!

That's not the first sufur soap that I've heard of getting discontinued. Please keep us posted on how the generic version works.

#11 Ripon10

Ripon10

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

FYI Johnson & Johnson (Purpose, Aveeno, Clean and Clear) has been found to contain carcinogenic chemicals in these lines as well as the baby lines. The adult lines are supposed to be reformulated by the end of next year. You may want to stay away from their product for a while. So much for thinking they don't add in all the extra chemicals - they do!

No regimen is one-size-fits-all. You are unique and so is your skin.

AM

Proactive Deep Cleansing Wash - Lumiplexion Salicylic Acid ~ Lumiplexion  SPF 30 ~ Lumiplexion moisturizer 

PM

Proactive Deep Cleansing Wash  ~ Lumiplexion Glycolic Acid 12% (3-4x week) ~ Lumiplexion Hydroquinone 1-2x week

Lumiplexion enzyme mask / sulfur mask /  moisturizing mask 1-2 week as needed 

#12 pocketfulofsunshine

pocketfulofsunshine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

I just started using the ACV a few days ago, mixed half and half with water, and I really like it so far! I use it as a toner and leave it on overnight and it seems to be evening out my skin a bit and it looks less blotchy, as well as reducing the redness and keeping my skin from being as flaky! It totally smells like the worst thing in the world, but I'm working through it because it seems to be helping haha. I'd put it on in the morning too, but I'm worried people will be able to smell it from a mile away haha.

#13 gingergirl22

gingergirl22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

Glad to hear that you're experiencing good results with the ACV! Are you still using the Obagi cleanser? I hear you about the smell, even diluted, but it does seem to dissipate after an hour or so.

#14 mWilso

mWilso

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

FYI Johnson & Johnson (Purpose, Aveeno, Clean and Clear) has been found to contain carcinogenic chemicals in these lines as well as the baby lines. The adult lines are supposed to be reformulated by the end of next year. You may want to stay away from their product for a while. So much for thinking they don't add in all the extra chemicals - they do!

Right?!
We got loads of Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo and wash from my baby shower and I threw out all of it after hearing that. I went with simple organic formulations dervived from coconut oil after that. It's awful that the prevalent baby products out there are harmful.

#15 Torquemonster

Torquemonster

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

Pocketofsunshine,
I came across another facial cleanser that might interest you. It is called Dickinson's Foaming Facial Wash. It is witch hazel based with quite a few natural ingredients and does not appear to have lots of chemicals in it. Sounds like it was developed to control oil but be non-drying and non-irritating for those of us with sensitive, hyperactive skin (has no soap, oil, fragrance, dyes, sulfates). Witch hazel is supposedly pretty good at clearing pores too. I have only been using it a couple days now but so far I like it and have had no breakouts, etc. I previously had been using Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash, which was sort of OK for me but something in it did seem to irritate my face a little (slight red skin appearance, frequent little whiteheads across my forehead, etc). Also sounds like the Purpose Wash contains some carcinogens, so it's a good time to move on to a new product. I found the Dickinsons wash at Walgreens.
I also use a natural plant-based cleansing bar for my body that you might want to check into. It is called Basis Vitamin Bar. I have to buy it on amazon.com but that hasn't been an issue. This stuff has a nice creamy lather, light citrus scent, and rinses very clean. It tended to dry my face
too much, hence body use only.
Anyway, good luck and I hope you find stuff that works for you.

#16 GreenLu

GreenLu

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

dans cleanser is pretty sensitive skin friendly.... have you tried it?