5 replies to this topic

#1 Fluorescent

Fluorescent

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Skin care, Health, Makeup, Diet, Fitness & such

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Lol, just realized my name username is fluorescent and I hate fluorescent lighting.. can't believe I never realized that before lol.

Okay so, I hope this is in the right section, it probably is. Anyway, at school and anywhere there is fluorescent lighting, my skin looks terrible. It emphasizes all my red marks and blemishes, and on top of that makes my face look even bigger. I've been in a constant battle with this, because any time at home my skin looks just fine and I battle with confidence issues in the first place (and unfortunately only feel real confident when I feel good emotionally and physically) and such so I'm thinking that it will look good today and all, then when I get to school and look in a mirror, my skin just looks bad. And if there is no flash on a camera, my skin looks bad too. (another reason I tend to avoid pictures too) It's ridiculous really, because I got my skin under control finally yet all these imperfections, blemishes and discolorations just come up in this damn lighting!

So I guess to my actual questions, is there some sort of makeup that can go against the fluorescent lightings? I just started testing out bb creams, however I haven`t actually been to school yet because of summer, so I`m not sure (but I really hope) it makes a difference. Also, does anyone else experience this, or is my skin just so odd that it only happens to me? Everyone one I know's skin looks the same in every sort of lighting, where my skin's appearance constantly changes in the lightening. And it also depends on the colour of the walls, too. Sigh.
Current regimen*
mornings: wash face with warm & cold water, apply BB Cream (brand: undecided).
nights: wash face with warm & cold water, occasional clay masks such as Freeman's Oatmeal & Avacado mask, Miracle Clay, ext. Apply Johnson's Dreamy Skin Night Cream.
diet: no refined sugars, high fructoses, ext, ever. (fruit/natural sugar is allowed). Half gluten free diet, lots of water and vegetables. Overall very health conscious diet.
vitamins: a few time a week if not at all; 1 Cinnamon capsule, two small omega 3 fish oil capsules, & 1 "skin care" multivitamin. Not taken every day.
​other : if acne should occur, sometimes bp is applied. Otherwise, not yet decided on what really works for me yet.

*I used to use many products. Nothing ever really worked for me, or they just broke me out with all sorts of acne. It took me a long time to realize that and to find my perfect regimen. That is why my regimen is pretty simple, and 90% based on diet! Everyone has their very own regimen that will work for them, they just need to find it!

Currently 95% clear of comedones. 100% clear of pimples/cysts.
Time progress of getting my skin in control: 2 or so years

#2 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Hiking, Weight Lifting

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

I really cannot agree more with you. I LOATHE fluorescent lighting. It seems to just bring out every little imperfection....I don't know why any bathroom would be equipped with such harsh lighting. Soft lighting makes all the difference in how your skin looks. When I look into a mirror at myself with low lighting, I'll actually think "wow...I'm looking pretty good today" then later I see myself under fluorescent lightning as a scarred up monster...and I can't look away quick enough!

Daily Regimen:
-Clean and Clear Foaming Cleanser
-Dan's 2.5% BP 
-Jojoba oil as moisturizer

Nightly Regimen:
-Clean and Clear Foaming Cleanser
-Dan's 2.5% BP
-Cetaphil moisturizer + a few drops of Jojoba oil 

My Regimen Log: http://www.acne.org/...gs-regimen-log/

#3 snsdgirl14

snsdgirl14

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

Fluorescent lighting makes everyone look a little worse - you just don't notice it on other people cause you're looking at yourself! Trust me, I know the feeling. We all look different in different lighting. Different lighting will either subdue or highlight certain flaws on our face, etc.

I had reeeeally bad PIH for a while and I used Make Up For Ever Full Cover everyday on the PIH marks. It covered them flawlessly and made my skin look good even in bad lighting. I still use it today for blemishes or underneath my eyes. It's a godsend!! Best concealer I've ever used.

[CURRENT REGIMEN]

AM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel (European version) + Clarisonic Mia

Apply CeraVe AM Moisturizer w/ SPF 30

Apply Aczone (dapsone) 

PM:

Wash with La Roche-Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel + Clarisonic Mia
Apply CeraVe PM Moisturizer 
Apply Epiduo (adapalene + benzoyl peroxide)
50 mg of Spironolactone 

[CURRENT STATUS]
90% clear

#4 portofmorrow

portofmorrow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

Yeah, fluorescent lighting is the worst. No matter how confident I feel that day, it makes me want to run and hide.

Be careful when attempting to cover your acne with foundation/concealer, because if it doesn't exactly match you skin tone, or isn't blended properly - it will be very obvious you're wearing makeup. Only thing worse than having acne is having acne AND a bad makeup job.

My solution has been to focus my foundation/concealer in the center of my face (T-zone).

#5 helpfulheart

helpfulheart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

I don't think anyone looks their best in fluorescent lighting. I know I feel extra self conscious so I feel for you!

#6 PowderedPeach

PowderedPeach

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

Everyone hates fluorescent lighting. It's just ghastly.

There are a few things that you can do though that may help. For starters, your foundation may have a gray/white or pink undertone to it, which will make you look washed out. They also don't camouflage imperfections very well, so you have to use more product to get any kind of coverage. If you use a yellow-based foundation that blends in easily and isn't too matte, you will warm up your complexion and give your skin a healthier appearance. The yellow also camouflages any redness...and basically all forms of discoloration. You won't need as much, which is good because makeup can look overdone very easily in fluorescent lights. If needed, you can add concealer to problem areas. You'll also want to avoid anything that looks muddy on the skin..like orange-ish bronzers and brick-colored blushes. Using a sheer peachy blush with soft shimmer higher on the backs of the cheekbones can add shape back to your face without relying on heavy contouring and highlighting, which can look obvious. You may find avoiding bright pinks and reds also helps draw less attention to any redness in your skin.

They also make mirrors with "fluorescent lighting" settings. This could help you see what your makeup will look like when you get to school. If you don't want to purchase one of these, you can also try putting on your makeup in natural lighting, which should prepare you for all situations.

Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users