Photo

Simple No Thrills Regimen

water only accutane relapse roaccutane relapse accutane roaccutane sensitive skin redness simple

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 ma14

ma14

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:21 AM

So after years of trying numerous prescription and non prescription drugs and washes, including roaccutane, I'm 22 and still have moderate acne... I've officially given up! From now on I am going to simply wash my face with water twice a day, gently exfoliate with a clean face cloth twice a week, moisturise only when I need to and generally eat healthier. I am taking anti biotic prescribed by the doctor to clear excisting spots and will continue to take this.

Why?
Well after roaccutane my face was perfect, however a couple years later it's slowly creeping back- Don't get me wrong its nowhere near as bad as it was previously. Now I genuinely must of spent thousands of pounds of over the years on products that have either made little or no difference. I have sensitive skin and most cleansers and soaps make it feel red and tight.

What do I expect?
To be honest I don't expect much from this in the way of it being a miracle regimen that's going to clear my face 100%, that's simply unrealistic. I just hope that over the coming months as my face adjusts to not having hundreds of chemicals plastered over it, the skin will look more refreshed, less red and sensitive. I think that in my case with a lot of these anti acne products when you use them it creates more stess in your mind, constantly looking in the mirror for results and being bitterly disappointed when they don't materialise.

I will keep a weekly blog with my progress, so others thinking of doing the same can have a look how I am getting on. It's also for the sake of family and friends...who I am sure are sick of hearing about me moan on about spots on my face! :P

#2 bobbi364

bobbi364

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

you should have done this years ago, caveman regime, look it up...dont use a wash cloth on your skin it just damages the cells and slows the shedding process, just let it be.

#3 ma14

ma14

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:30 AM

Day 4

Nothing much to report. No new spots, the large spot that was there before popped and left a huge ass mark on my face...honestly looks like I've been punched :s

On the whole my face is less red and tight. Also feel better as washing water is effortless, no fancy nonsense techniques.

#4 ma14

ma14

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:11 AM

Day 7

Ok so 7 days into not washing with any products and my skin is starting to break out in lots of tiny little spots - i normally only get one or two large ones. Does anyone think that this is maybe due to washing only with water?

#5 PeterM

PeterM

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

How intensively do you wash with water? I think bobbi364 is right that it helps to be very gentle in washing so that you don't remove all the natural protective oils.

I'm trying pretty much the same regimen. Day 2.5 for me, much less oily skin now which is a great start.

#6 ma14

ma14

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

To be honest I think I might be scrubbing my skin instead of gentle washing it. I've read on a few other forums that it is normal for this to happen and it is just your face getting used to not having all the chemicals on it, removing all of the oils etc. Will keep this up to date Posted Image

#7 ma14

ma14

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Day 11

So I inadvertently washed my face in the shower yesterday with a cleanser, don't know was it was just a force of habit I guess, and my skin has taken a tumble! After days of just washing with water and my skin looking alright it has turned super dry, flakey and tight since using the product! Yikes...suppose just goes to show! I had to put a little bit of moisturiser on as it was quite uncomfortable. Back to washing with just water!

Before this slip up, my skin is going through a strange patch. From a wee bit away it looks good, but if you look up close and touch it, it's quite rough and bumpy...nothing major! I have read this has happened to quite a number of people during the first 30 days or so. Has this happened to anyone else thats tried this? Would be quite interested to know.

#8 PeterM

PeterM

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

As I say I haven't been on this as long as you, but the only roughness I've noticed is on my nose where It looks like the pores have turned into little pimples, odd!

My skin is definitely getting better, promising stuff!

#9 Beender20

Beender20

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

I'm glad both of you guys are doing this. I've been doing the same thing since march, but I'm only washing with water once a day in the morning instead of twice a day. I'm honestly not sure if it makes a difference or not. Let me just tell you it is going to take TIME. Yes it will be bumpy, especially my forehead was, and yes it will feel weird and flaky and dry and oily all at the same time.

It took me about 4 months to be happy with my skin on a daily basis and be consistently clear of pimples. My forehead is still slightly bumpy but it is nothing you can see. It just kind of feels that way if i really push on my skin when i'm in the shower. My cheeks and nose and everywhere else is completely fine though. And the flaky skin eventually went away too. I think the hardest part of this is just sticking out the first couple of months. After that though it is really awesome. If you have any other questions just ask me!!

#10 ma14

ma14

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:09 AM

Thanks for replying buddy, I'll stick to this :)

#11 ma14

ma14

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:09 AM

Day 13/14 (I forgot which day this actually is)

I've given up with the water only, it has made my skin 10x worse than it was when I was previously using stuff to clean my face. I also was speaking to my dad's friend who is a dermatologist and he said washing with only water isnt likely to do my skin type (dry, acne prone) any favours and that I should using a moisturising cleanser - back to cetaphil...which I have to say worked alright last time I used it. At least I gave it a shot Posted Image Good luck to those still doing this regimen

#12 Likethesun

Likethesun

tranceaddict

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

Day 13/14 (I forgot which day this actually is)

I've given up with the water only, it has made my skin 10x worse than it was when I was previously using stuff to clean my face. I also was speaking to my dad's friend who is a dermatologist and he said washing with only water isnt likely to do my skin type (dry, acne prone) any favours and that I should using a moisturising cleanser - back to cetaphil...which I have to say worked alright last time I used it. At least I gave it a shot Posted Image Good luck to those still doing this regimen

If cetaphil works for you then great, if it's chemicals or overdrying that you are trying to avoid, may I suggest something more natural like using a cotton pad and cleansing your face with real lemon or lime juice?

Kind of like most people, most store bought items dry my skin out which just snowballs into bad news for me. Ever since I started using nothing on my face in the shower (just let the water run on it), then drying it off and applying a lemon/lime juice-like toner, my skin hasn't felt too dry, it's clean and the natural acids from the lemon or lime take care of the skin shedding.

edit: I only do this in the morning as well, no need to apply twice a day. I also prefer limes and mix the lime juice into a tiny bowl of spring water.

Edited by Likethesun, 19 August 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#13 PeterM

PeterM

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

ma14, I can see why it might not be best if your skin is naturally dry. Mine is always super oily which this regimen seems to combat fairly well so I will be sticking to it.

On day 8, I don't have a lot to report on. I'm sometimes just washing once a day now, can't decide whether that's better than twice a day.