Photo

Sea Salt Soaks For Scars

scarring acne sea salt

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#21 Juicy.C

Juicy.C

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

Erm...a few issues:

1. Why would sea salt as opposed to just regular salt make a major difference? Sea salt has maybe 1% extra mineral impurities compared to just regular salt, there's basically no difference.
2. What exactly would salt do to scars?
3. He doesn't seem to be talking about scars, he seems to be talking mostly about acne control.
4. If he has any improvement on his scars at all, it's very likely that he's just experiencing microswelling that he's sustaining on a regular basis. A very hot bath + rubbing your face with a brush would cause an abrasive effect that causes your skin to swell, which results in the appearance that scars are gone. But, in reality, it's temporary. I suppose you could do this everyday for the rest of your life, though, kinda like a make-up thing?

I don't mean to sound like a pessimistic asshole, but if hot salt water + a bit of brushing everyday really fixed acne scars, then these forums wouldn't exist.

There is a difference atleast to me because table salt REALLY irritated my skin and broke me out. And sea salt didn't.

#22 DRaGZ

DRaGZ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

Erm...a few issues:

1. Why would sea salt as opposed to just regular salt make a major difference? Sea salt has maybe 1% extra mineral impurities compared to just regular salt, there's basically no difference.
3. He doesn't seem to be talking about scars, he seems to be talking mostly about acne control.
4. If he has any improvement on his scars at all, it's very likely that he's just experiencing microswelling that he's sustaining on a regular basis. A very hot bath + rubbing your face with a brush would cause an abrasive effect that causes your skin to swell, which results in the appearance that scars are gone. But, in reality, it's temporary. I suppose you could do this everyday for the rest of your life, though, kinda like a make-up thing?

I don't mean to sound like a pessimistic asshole, but if hot salt water + a bit of brushing everyday really fixed acne scars, then these forums wouldn't exist.

There is a difference atleast to me because table salt REALLY irritated my skin and broke me out. And sea salt didn't.

Did you use ordinary table salt without any additives? There are still table salts being sold with iodide, or other minerals, or other chemical salts to substitute partially for NaCl.

#23 onefatalgoose

onefatalgoose

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

I'm not sure if anyone has heard of using a toothbrush for exfoliating, but it's what i've been using while doing the sea salt soaks. I'm using a soft brush, and a baby tooth brush may even be better. Since the bristles are so close together, you get a very even exfoliation. The heads are obviously small, so it takes a little longer than using a baby hair brush, but i'm not really bothered by it.

My skin tone after doing this for over a week now is really nice. Too early to tell about scars, and tho i only have a couple small ones on my face, i'll still be able to tell if they've been affected after 8 weeks

I've been acne free for roughly a couple years, and this hasn't caused any to return. And i highly doubt it would cause people to break out since it's just like swimming in the ocean. I've read countless posts of people claiming their acne was much improved while vacationing and swimming in the ocean.

But there's also a study using Dead sea salt showing improved skin barrier function from soaking

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15689218

Edited by onefatalgoose, 11 August 2012 - 01:05 AM.

#24 Juicy.C

Juicy.C

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Erm...a few issues:

Did you use ordinary table salt without any additives? There are still table salts being sold with iodide, or other minerals, or other chemical salts to substitute partially for NaCl.

Ya I tried iodized table salt and non iodized and sea salt. The sea salt is the most gentle atleast for me.

#25 lmaohf

lmaohf

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:25 AM

are you still doing this? did your scars improve?

#26 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:26 AM

I put a sea salt mask on last night for 15 minutes and it seemed to do some good. Last week I used epsom salts a few times, and I'll be going back to them as soon as I get home.