Photo

What I Learned At The Naturopath!

hormones chaste berry natural birth control bcp adult saw palmetto low carb probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hey, friends! I thought I'd make this thread in hopes of potentially helping someone - possibly? Or just sharing.

I got some test results back from the naturopath today - I did a blood test for food allergens and a saliva hormone test. The doc told me I have the classic hormone profile for someone "suffering" (I don't like that word, even if it feels like that sometimes!) from breakouts. My testosterone level is at the tip-top of what's considered "high" for my age range; my DHEA levels are OVER the "high" mark, and my progesterone is a bit low.

This explains, to me, why I had barely any skin issues while on BC, which regulated the crap out of my hormones. However, as I don't want to take BC right now (hello, side effects?), I'm looking for other options.

Though I also did an allergen test, and am somewhat allergic to some foods (eggs!), I don't think that's my main issue - neither does the naturopath.

So - what now? Here's what I'm on, and if this sounds like something you may potentially be going through (this likely applies mainly to ladies, sorry fellas), maybe this will be of help to you.

Supplements
B6
ACES Zn by Carlson's (Totally a rad supplement for skin support!)
Probiotic (Careful in purchasing these; they can be real shoddy quality. Look into the brand first)
Fermented Cod Liver Oil
Mirena (It's Turmeric, basically)
Multi
And a tincture she made me of Saw Palmetto, Chaste Berry, and one other herb. (Hormone regulating herbs! Hardcore.)

Diet
LOW SUGAR! Sugar drives hormones. Even natural sugar! She even told me to watch out for too much tomato or carrot juice. Bah! Difficult! But worth it, in the end.
Low carbs too, as those are, heh, sugar.
LOADS of veggies and such - I likely don't need to get too deep into this, as most of you here know this bit already.

Basically, hormone regulation is about evening your body out naturally (I suppose there's hormone therapy for severe cases as well, but -) and over time ... as well as guiding it along with some choice herbs and supplements.

Don't forget exercise, meditation, joyousness and generally feeling happy! It does wonders!

I highly suggest testing for food allergies and hormone imbalances if you're still struggling to decipher your body code. Don't worry! You'll figure it out! And so will I. Posted Image

Cheers!

Edited by Ukulala, 01 August 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#2 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

Hey, friends! I thought I'd make this thread in hopes of potentially helping someone - possibly? Or just sharing.

I got some test results back from the naturopath today. (Perhaps I should mention that in addition to going to her, I'm also doing topicals) She told me I have the classic hormone profile for someone "suffering" (I don't like that word, eve; my DHEA levels are OVER the "high" mark, and my progesterone is a bit low.

This explains, to me, why I had barely any skin issues while on BC, which regulated the crap out of my hormones. However, as I don't want to take BC right now (hello, side effects?), I'm looking for other options.

Though I also did an allergen test, and am somewhat allergic to some foods (eggs!), I don't think that's my main issue - neither does the naturopath.

So - what now? Here's what I'm on, and if this sounds like something you may potentially be going through (this likely applies mainly to ladies, sorry fellas), maybe this will be of help to you.

Supplements
B6
ACES Zn by Carlson's (Totally a rad supplement for skin support!)
Probiotic (Careful in purchasing these; they can be real shoddy quality. Look into the brand first)
Fermented Cod Liver Oil
Mirena (It's Turmeric, basically)
Multi
And a tincture she made me of Saw Palmetto, Chaste Berry, and one other herb. (Hormone regulating herbs! Hardcore.)

Diet
LOW SUGAR! Sugar drives hormones. Even natural sugar! She even told me to watch out for too much tomato or carrot juice. Bah! Difficult! But worth it, in the end.
Low carbs too, as those are, heh, sugar.
LOADS of veggies and such - I likely don't need to get too deep into this, as most of you here know this bit already.

Basically, hormone regulation is about evening your body out naturally (I suppose there's hormone therapy for severe cases as well, but -) and over time ... as well as guiding it along with some choice herbs and supplements.

Don't forget exercise, meditation, joyousness and generally feeling happy! It does wonders!

I highly suggest testing for food allergies and hormone imbalances if you're still struggling to decipher your body code. Don't worry! You'll figure it out! And so will I. Posted Image

Cheers!

So you got tested with a blood test? Did it show you had food allergies? Sorry I just didnt completely understand your post. IM considering getting tested with food allergies and hormone imbalances as well, so dont know how to go about it.

#3 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

Gosh, I'm sorry - did I not make that clear? I will. Yes, I got a blood test for food allergens, and a saliva test for hormones.
My food allergies aren't at all what I expected. They're super random. Eggs is the main one, and then Brewer's yeast (hm!)... and maybe avocados? Though, lawd, I've never noticed any sort of issue with avos.

To go about it, short of seeing a health care practitioner, there are plenty of tests you can order online. Posted Image

Also, I just stumbled upon this - it might have some helpful information for folk!
http://books.google....almetto&f=false

Edited by Ukulala, 01 August 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#4 wicky

wicky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

my naturopath sucks...your lucky you found a good one

#5 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

Gosh, I'm sorry - did I not make that clear? I will. Yes, I got a blood test for food allergens, and a saliva test for hormones.
My food allergies aren't at all what I expected. They're super random. Eggs is the main one, and then Brewer's yeast (hm!)... and maybe avocados? Though, lawd, I've never noticed any sort of issue with avos.

To go about it, short of seeing a health care practitioner, there are plenty of tests you can order online. Posted Image

Also, I just stumbled upon this - it might have some helpful information for folk!
http://books.google....almetto&f=false

Thanks for clearing that up. Im really interested in getting this done for my self. I have a feeling mine might be gluten and I know for sure milk and all dairy. When I get health insurance im going and getting this done. Thank you. Also can you tell me where you found such a great dr? I live in NYC but have no idea where to start for searching other than Yelp. I want a really good one like you got!

Edited by Murph89, 01 August 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#6 jaydeec

jaydeec

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

How much did it all cost. I've considered this option to...going holistic

#7 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

:/ I'm sorry to hear that. I went to one in Florida who was *way* not so great, so I know how that goes. Could you find another one? Or maybe even a nutritionist or herbalist? That might help!!

Thanks for clearing that up. Im really interested in getting this done for my self. I have a feeling mine might be gluten and I know for sure milk and all dairy. When I get health insurance im going and getting this done. Thank you. Also can you tell me where you found such a great dr? I live in NYC but have no idea where to start for searching other than Yelp. I want a really good one like you got!

So - I found my doc via word of mouth. My friend went to her and suggested her. If you're in NYC, you're in luck!! You've got LOADS of resources, I'm sure. You can look online for board-certified naturopaths (just google it!) - that means they are, well, certified, and went through tons of schooling. That's a good thing! There are also lots of alternative healing directories that I have come across in my journeys. There's this free publication called Natural Awakenings that is in many places - I am SURE there is at least one in NYC (they're local, sort of franchised things) ... check at a local co-op or natural foods store. Anyhow, at the back of those, they totally have a directory. Lastly, when you find one, call them and ask questions! I called this naturopath and asked her if she'd worked with skin issues specifically before i made an appointment. You'll get it, don't worry. :)

I won't lie ... it was pretty darn pricey. But! I'm sure there are cheaper options, A, B, some insurances cover it (not mine, d'oh!), and C, some doctors do sliding scale. Look around, and you will find what you need. Either way, going holistic is *never* a bad idea. Attack this issue from the inside AND out for the best results, yeah? Yeah!

<3 Love to all.

#8 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

:/ I'm sorry to hear that. I went to one in Florida who was *way* not so great, so I know how that goes. Could you find another one? Or maybe even a nutritionist or herbalist? That might help!!

So - I found my doc via word of mouth. My friend went to her and suggested her. If you're in NYC, you're in luck!! You've got LOADS of resources, I'm sure. You can look online for board-certified naturopaths (just google it!) - that means they are, well, certified, and went through tons of schooling. That's a good thing! There are also lots of alternative healing directories that I have come across in my journeys. There's this free publication called Natural Awakenings that is in many places - I am SURE there is at least one in NYC (they're local, sort of franchised things) ... check at a local co-op or natural foods store. Anyhow, at the back of those, they totally have a directory. Lastly, when you find one, call them and ask questions! I called this naturopath and asked her if she'd worked with skin issues specifically before i made an appointment. You'll get it, don't worry. Posted Image

I won't lie ... it was pretty darn pricey. But! I'm sure there are cheaper options, A, B, some insurances cover it (not mine, d'oh!), and C, some doctors do sliding scale. Look around, and you will find what you need. Either way, going holistic is *never* a bad idea. Attack this issue from the inside AND out for the best results, yeah? Yeah!

<3 Love to all.

Thanks. I put in a call to a few different places. Waiting to hear back. Prices ranged from 175-350 for an hr visit. None of the drs that i spoke to did blood tests in the office. Did yours? Its not a big deal to get one done somewhere else and have the dr review it. Did your naturopathic dr do blood tests IN the office?

#9 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

I got some calls back and not realizing it I made appointments with 2 different NDs. Of them is $100 cheaper is starts off doing a detox for skin issues. She seemed a bit more knowledgable about skin issues, but so did the other. 1 is for wednesday and the other is for friday. I dont know who to choose. Im also waiting back for a call on a 3rd one who SPECIALIZES in skin conditions in naturopathic sense. I think ill pick her over the other 2 depending on price. I guess its like finding a dermatologist. You pick 1 and stick with them. But ive been through 5 derms in the past 6 months and I dont wanna do that these these NDs.

What would you suggest Ukulala?

Edited by Murph89, 02 August 2012 - 02:53 PM.

#10 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

I got some calls back and not realizing it I made appointments with 2 different NDs. Of them is $100 cheaper is starts off doing a detox for skin issues. She seemed a bit more knowledgable about skin issues, but so did the other. 1 is for wednesday and the other is for friday. I dont know who to choose. Im also waiting back for a call on a 3rd one who SPECIALIZES in skin conditions in naturopathic sense. I think ill pick her over the other 2 depending on price. I guess its like finding a dermatologist. You pick 1 and stick with them. But ive been through 5 derms in the past 6 months and I dont wanna do that these these NDs.

Murph, what are the names of the Naturopaths that you found? I used one in union square that wasn't particularly helpful so i would avoid her at all costs. I was seeing a chiropractor in queens that does Nutritional Response Testing to help figure the underlying causes of acne and other illnesses. I didn't stick with her long enough to see if she could clear my acne as i found a holistic derm but my friend swears by her. I have a name and number if you're interested. Visits are not horrendously expensive, especially if you do a package deal. BTW, insurance most often than not does not cover holistic stuff.

#11 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Murph, what are the names of the Naturopaths that you found? I used one in union square that wasn't particularly helpful so i would avoid her at all costs. I was seeing a chiropractor in queens that does Nutritional Response Testing to help figure the underlying causes of acne and other illnesses. I didn't stick with her long enough to see if she could clear my acne as i found a holistic derm but my friend swears by her. I have a name and number if you're interested. Visits are not horrendously expensive, especially if you do a package deal. BTW, insurance most often than not does not cover holistic stuff.

Yes hi! The names of the naturopaths I found were Dr Sarah Cimperman, Dr Maura Henninger, and the one who Im waiting to hear back from that I want to see because she specializes in skin issues is Dr. Brooke Kalanick. Cimperman was $240 for the initial visit and its an hour. Maura was $140 and is willing to work with price, and shes also an hour. I felt more confident with Maura who starts out with a detox of the liver and all that good stuff. I live in Manhattan so Manhattan is where I want the Dr. Although I will be in Queens next week for a week and a half, so if you have someone there that you recommend or know of that would be much easier because I fucking hate taking subways and buses.

But yeah Ill take the holistic derm's name and number.

Edited by Murph89, 02 August 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#12 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

Yes hi! The names of the naturopaths I found were Dr Sarah Cimperman, Dr Maura Henninger, and the one who Im waiting to hear back from that I want to see because she specializes in skin issues is Dr. Brooke Kalanick. Cimperman was $240 for the initial visit and its an hour. Maura was $140 and is willing to work with price, and shes also an hour. I felt more confident with Maura who starts out with a detox of the liver and all that good stuff. I live in Manhattan so Manhattan is where I want the Dr. Although I will be in Queens next week for a week and a half, so if you have someone there that you recommend or know of that would be much easier because I fucking hate taking subways and buses.

Ok, none of the ones you mentioned was the one i used. They all seem to start with detoxing the liver. My naturopath did that too but alas the liver did not appear to be my issue. Definitely ask if they do blood test and whatnot so you don't waste time trying various supplements on a whim. If you want to stick to Manhattan then your naturopath is probably best. To get to the one i used to use took a train and a bus....probably not your thing. As for the derm, i just started with him last week and he is pricey. Ended up spending over $500 for visit and supplements/face care stuff (and i had to stop using the moisturiser and one supplement as it made me itch sooooo bad) so i am a bit turned off from him. Your naturopath sounds cheaper so i would try them first before going to someone more expensive. But if you still want his name/number, i'll give it to you.

#13 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

Ok, none of the ones you mentioned was the one i used. They all seem to start with detoxing the liver. My naturopath did that too but alas the liver did not appear to be my issue. Definitely ask if they do blood test and whatnot so you don't waste time trying various supplements on a whim. If you want to stick to Manhattan then your naturopath is probably best. To get to the one i used to use took a train and a bus....probably not your thing. As for the derm, i just started with him last week and he is pricey. Ended up spending over $500 for visit and supplements/face care stuff (and i had to stop using the moisturiser and one supplement as it made me itch sooooo bad) so i am a bit turned off from him. Your naturopath sounds cheaper so i would try them first before going to someone more expensive. But if you still want his name/number, i'll give it to you.

None of them I spoke did any lab work in the office. I just got off the phone with my mom whos a nurse practitioner and a quite successful one. I trust her when it comes to medical advice. She said she is highly highly against me going to see a naturopath. She said she doesnt necessarily think they are a scam, but being in the medical field for as long as she has, she doesnt agree with what they do. She said ill end up walking out with hundreds of dollars worth of vitamins and what not which im sure. She said if ANYTHING, go to a allergist and get a food allergy test done to see if thats the culprit but she says she is highly against me going to see a naturopath. Bummer.

Ive been to 5 derms in the past 6 months and chemicals are not the answer as far as what goes on my face. Im starting to believe that its something internal. Ill call some allergists tomorrow and see how much they charge for blood work and what they recommend.

Im bummed because I was looking forward to trying this, but coming from my mom who I consider in expert when it comes to medicinal things, advices against it FOR ME.

#14 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

None of them I spoke did any lab work in the office. I just got off the phone with my mom whos a nurse practitioner and a quite successful one. I trust her when it comes to medical advice. She said she is highly highly against me going to see a naturopath. She said she doesnt necessarily think they are a scam, but being in the medical field for as long as she has, she doesnt agree with what they do. She said ill end up walking out with hundreds of dollars worth of vitamins and what not which im sure. She said if ANYTHING, go to a allergist and get a food allergy test done to see if thats the culprit but she says she is highly against me going to see a naturopath. Bummer.

Ive been to 5 derms in the past 6 months and chemicals are not the answer as far as what goes on my face. Im starting to believe that its something internal. Ill call some allergists tomorrow and see how much they charge for blood work and what they recommend.

Im bummed because I was looking forward to trying this, but coming from my mom who I consider in expert when it comes to medicinal things, advices against it FOR ME.

Murph i understand where your mom is coming from but i also think that acne is multi faceted so it may not just be one thing that is causing your acne. Allergist test for allergies but most will NOT test for intolerances which would most likely be the cause of acne, if that was your root cause. Most allergy tests done at an allergists office sometimes wont come up with anything. You want an intolerance test. I got mine done online (can't remember website) but even cutting out those foods did not help my acne either. I think you should give the naturopath a try and give it at least 3 months. You can do that in conjunction with an elimination diet (based on the results of your intolerance test). The point of all of this is that you could spend years trying to solve acne on your own which brings with it LOTS of frustration so why not get a little guidance.

#15 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

Murph i understand where your mom is coming from but i also think that acne is multi faceted so it may not just be one thing that is causing your acne. Allergist test for allergies but most will NOT test for intolerances which would most likely be the cause of acne, if that was your root cause. Most allergy tests done at an allergists office sometimes wont come up with anything. You want an intolerance test. I got mine done online (can't remember website) but even cutting out those foods did not help my acne either. I think you should give the naturopath a try and give it at least 3 months. You can do that in conjunction with an elimination diet (based on the results of your intolerance test). The point of all of this is that you could spend years trying to solve acne on your own which brings with it LOTS of frustration so why not get a little guidance.

Unfortunately, I dont have the money to pay for 3 months worth from a Naturopath. If money wasnt an issue, then I would be all over it. But realizing how much it may cost sucks. So your saying I want an intolerance test. You did a liver detox and it didnt do anything. Youve tried cutting out foods and that didnt help. You also spent $500 on a holistic derm and nothing. I just personally cant spend $1k on a naturopath. Couple hundred bucks for tests, vitamins, detox, consult, sure, but I feel as though im going to walk out with a huge bill that I cant afford. Like I said, if money wasnt an issue, I would be all over it. Thoughts?

Tell me more about this intolerance testing...

Edited by Murph89, 02 August 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#16 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

Unfortunately, I dont have the money to pay for 3 months worth from a Naturopath. If money wasnt an issue, then I would be all over it. But realizing how much it may cost sucks. So your saying I want an intolerance test. You did a liver detox and it didnt do anything. Youve tried cutting out foods and that didnt help. You also spent $500 on a holistic derm and nothing. I just personally cant spend $1k on a naturopath. Couple hundred bucks for tests, vitamins, detox, consult, sure, but I feel as though im going to walk out with a huge bill that I cant afford. Like I said, if money wasnt an issue, I would be all over it. Thoughts?

Well i don't know what to tell you. Dealing with acne is not always cheap. Some people are lucky to find what works for them the first time they try something but others like you and I have to keep looking. You can definitely go it alone and dedicate time to researching different potential cures but given the fact that you have depression exasberated by your skin condition, spending tons of time fixating on fixing your acne would not be wise. Your time may be better spent getting a job, living your life and using that money to pay someone else to do the research for you. Just my two cents.....as you can see.....damn if you do damn if you don't.

I just started with the holistic derm so we'll see if it works......giving it at least a couple of months

#17 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

Well i don't know what to tell you. Dealing with acne is not always cheap. Some people are lucky to find what works for them the first time they try something but others like you and I have to keep looking. You can definitely go it alone and dedicate time to researching different potential cures but given the fact that you have depression exasberated by your skin condition, spending tons of time fixating on fixing your acne would not be wise. Your time may be better spent getting a job, living your life and using that money to pay someone else to do the research for you. Just my two cents.....as you can see.....damn if you do damn if you don't.

I just started with the holistic derm so we'll see if it works......giving it at least a couple of months

I completely hear you. Shit is just so difficult dealing with. And if I go down the naturopathic route, I'm going through a completely new and obviously expensive change. I guess I'm just lost on what to do and where to go from here, as you can see :/

#18 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

Hey! So - I'm very glad you've gotten the information you have, both from here and the internet. Don't feel lost; don't worry. You'll go to someone, and if they feel right, awesome; if not, you'll go elsewhere. It's not cheap, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Google the doctors, if you haven't already. You'll likely find reviews or information on them, and that could help you decide who is the best fit for you.

But! It sounds like you're on the right track - it really does. So don't worry!!!

Good luck!!

#19 helpfulheart

helpfulheart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

Yes, low to no sugar along with no dairy has helped my skin so much! Also eating a whole foods diet.