red mark hyperpigmentation

5 replies to this topic

#1 FLgators22

FLgators22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

I have red marks all over my face from my old acne. I get some pretty bad breakouts still but I mainly care about getting rid of these red marks. I use cetaphil gentle cleanser and put on Acanya (BP) before bed. Will I see these red marks fade better if I stop using the acanya and just use cetaphil?

#2 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Music, MMA, photography, fishing.

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

BP does not exfoliate or remove the outer layer of ski. In order to reduce red marks or fade them, you need to get rid of the outer layers of skin. To do so, you need an exfoliant or retinoid that does this. If you still have breakouts, I would ask your derm about tazorac. It will prevent acne and sheds the outer layer of skin. Your other option is to use either a chemical exfoliant like salicylic acid, or a manual natural exfoliant like sugar or oatmeal. Also check out emu oil. Great for red marks. Cetaphil alone will not get rid of the red marks.

#3 Kyle_

Kyle_

Regimen user since 2011

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

BP does not exfoliate or remove the outer layer of ski. In order to reduce red marks or fade them, you need to get rid of the outer layers of skin. To do so, you need an exfoliant or retinoid that does this. If you still have breakouts, I would ask your derm about tazorac. It will prevent acne and sheds the outer layer of skin. Your other option is to use either a chemical exfoliant like salicylic acid, or a manual natural exfoliant like sugar or oatmeal. Also check out emu oil. Great for red marks. Cetaphil alone will not get rid of the red marks.

After using AHA for a year now, my red marks have not faded because of it but have faded from preventing new acne, personally I believe the best way to remove red marks is to prevent new acne, for me, that was the only way, using aha every night all the time to be honest just gave my a bit of a dry face in the morning.

#4 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

After using AHA for a year now, my red marks have not faded because of it but have faded from preventing new acne, personally I believe the best way to remove red marks is to prevent new acne, for me, that was the only way, using aha every night all the time to be honest just gave my a bit of a dry face in the morning.

I agree on preventing new acne. But at the same time, you want to remove the red marks from previous acne. That's what I'm working on. I found I couldn't tolerate AHA but had good success with BHA. Everyone is different but the bottom line is the best and most efficient way to get rid of red marks is removing the outer layers of skin. That is done through exfoliation.

Edited by Murph89, 01 August 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#5 FLgators22

FLgators22

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

I agree on preventing new acne. But at the same time, you want to remove the red marks from previous acne. That's what I'm working on. I found I couldn't tolerate AHA but had good success with BHA. Everyone is different but the bottom line is the best and most efficient way to get rid of red marks is removing the outer layers of skin. That is done through exfoliation.

My skin gets ten times more red when i use AHA. If I use a 2% salacylic cleanser and night and cetaphil in the AM will i see some progress? Retin-A also made things worse

#6 Murph89

Murph89

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

an SA cleanser lightly exfoliates, not not as much as a leave on exfoliant. BHA is salicylic acid aka beta hydroxy acid and is different then AHA in that it exfoliates and cleans deep down into the pores. My skin couldnt handle AHA either but BHA was fine. If you dont want to go back to a derm and try a retanoid like tazorac, then I would recommend a gentle cleanser, 2% BHA aka salicylic acid, and a moisturizer. Moisturizer I recommend emu oil personally. It doesnt clog pores and it works to reduce red marks. Make sure you are wearing sun screen if you go out during the day. Sun exposure to red marks only makes them that much more difficult to treat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users