accutane acne teenage growing out antibiotic doxycycline

5 replies to this topic

#1 sfteen

sfteen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

Im a teenager suffering from I guess teenage acne lol. Many antibiotics held my acne at bay but now my derm wants to prescribe me Accutane. Quite frankly I don't want to take that risk. What is the strongest anti-biotic for teenage acne?

In terms of effectiveness im not looking for a cure I just need an antibiotic to hold it off till im around 20

#2 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

What antibiotics have you tried?
I've used doxy and bactrim at different times in the past. From my experience, an antibiotic might help calm down or stop acne while you take it but soon after stopping the antibiotic it will come back.
Also long term antibiotic use is not always the best thing - it can have side effects. How come you were wanting to use an antibiotic until your 20? If it's because you think you'll grow out of it by then just be aware that not everyone will just grow out of acne and also, like i mentioned, that stopping the medication could mean that the acne returns.

Have you had anything else work for you? Antibiotics might not be the only option.
And if your derm suggests accutane - you don't HAVE to take it if you don't want to. It's a serious drug with many side effects. I wouldn't want to take that risk either.

Also - I don't know if there is a strongest antibiotic for acne - I suppose everyone reacts differently to different drugs.

Anyway - hope it goes well :)

#3 sfteen

sfteen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:51 AM

What antibiotics have you tried?
I've used doxy and bactrim at different times in the past. From my experience, an antibiotic might help calm down or stop acne while you take it but soon after stopping the antibiotic it will come back.
Also long term antibiotic use is not always the best thing - it can have side effects. How come you were wanting to use an antibiotic until your 20? If it's because you think you'll grow out of it by then just be aware that not everyone will just grow out of acne and also, like i mentioned, that stopping the medication could mean that the acne returns.

Have you had anything else work for you? Antibiotics might not be the only option.
And if your derm suggests accutane - you don't HAVE to take it if you don't want to. It's a serious drug with many side effects. I wouldn't want to take that risk either.

Also - I don't know if there is a strongest antibiotic for acne - I suppose everyone reacts differently to different drugs.

Anyway - hope it goes well Posted Image

I am going based on the FACT that BOTH my parents grew out of it at the age of around 20. I've tried pretty much every cycline lol like doxy and mino. Um I belive I cleared up a bit maybe my soph/junior year idk exactly when but ill ask to check my medical records. Like what side effects? Worse than Accutane I doubt thoPosted Image

Also I am 17 acne usually goes away 5-10 years after it started in teens and i developed it around..... 13? So My birthday is coming up in september hopefully the window of clearing up will start or one can only hope..

#4 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:15 AM

Lucky you have your parents experience to go by! My parents didn't have acne - a pimple now and then but that was it. Yet I've had it since around 12 or 13yrs. I'm 19 now. Will be interesting to see if I grow out of it around the 10 year mark. That would be amazing - so I hope that happens :)

I don't know what other antibiotics are prescribed for acne. And yeah the side effects wouldn't be as bad or worse than accutane - I just meant for you to be aware that their not without their own risks too. And the specific side effects would probably vary between the different antibiotics.

Hopefully others will reply with the types of antibiotics they've tried. Doxy and bactrim are the only ones I've tried and know of.

#5 bluestripez17

bluestripez17

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

I'm on doxy right now , I've been on It for around 2 weeks and yeah my acne has gotten worse (But yeah the saying "It gets worse before It gets better" always keeps me positive) Anyway , All I can say ,Is once you pick an antibiotic , stick to It. If you want I have a forum post with some pictures of me on week 2 of doxy (and like I said It's worse then It was before. But I'm 90% sure that it's just the doxy bringing up all the acne so i can have a clear face.)

So goodluck with your acne ! and I hope all goes well Posted Image

My pictures of my acne http://www.acne.org/...e-im-lost-pics/

Edited by bluestripez17, 14 August 2012 - 12:08 AM.

#6 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hows the antibiotics going

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users