Zinc?

vitamin vitamins folic acid zinc

6 replies to this topic

#1 lifewasalladream92

lifewasalladream92

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I love singing, playing the guitar and piano, makeup, math, and watching horror films.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

So I have been taking a prescription vitamin called Nicotinamide for a little over a month and I have seen little to no changes in my moderate acne. The vitamin contains 750 mg of Nicotinamide, 25mg of Zinc Oxide, 1.5 mg of Cupric Oxide and 500 mcg of Folic Acid. I was wondering if it would be okay to take an extra 25 mg of Zinc with this vitamin or if I should just quit the Nicotinamide and just take Zinc. I really want to quit the vitamin since it's a prescrpiton because I would rather be on something that is over the counter rather than visit the see the dermatologist every time I need a refill because that can get a little expensive.

So my questions are...
Do I need to wean myself off of the vitamin or can i just stop taking it?
How much Zinc is safe to take for a long period of time?

#2 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Do not self supplement without consulting the doctor. Other than zinc vitamin A, C, E, D3 helps prevent acne. Some people also supplement evening primrose oil

#3 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

I would buy them separately. That isn't the best form of zinc anyway. You can take more temporarily, but long term I'd take no more than 35.

And the average doctor is useless when it comes to nutrients. How's your diet and lifestyle? Do you eat nutrient dense foods? Raw fruits and vegetables throughout the day so you get vitamin c throughout the day? Greens? Get out into the sun for D? Otherwise take a couple thousand iu of D3. Do you sleep well, at night in the dark?

Anyway, you don't have to wean and you could add a zinc supplement. Look for zinc methionine or optizinc.

Edited by alternativista, 01 August 2012 - 06:23 AM.

#4 lifewasalladream92

lifewasalladream92

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I love singing, playing the guitar and piano, makeup, math, and watching horror films.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

Alternatvisita

Okay, my diet has been pretty good. I do eat a lot of vegetables but they're usually cooked so I will definitely try eating more raw ones. I still eat junk food so I'm going to try really hard to cut that out of my diet for a couple of weeks and see how I do. I think I'm just going to take they zinc because the vitamin has done nothing for me and it was not cheap.

Anyways thanks for all your help.

Binga

I will definitely look into the other vitamins you mentioned and the primrose oil

Thank!

#5 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

its the junk food that is giving u acne not the type of zinc

#6 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Alternatvisita

Okay, my diet has been pretty good. I do eat a lot of vegetables but they're usually cooked so I will definitely try eating more raw ones. I still eat junk food so I'm going to try really hard to cut that out of my diet for a couple of weeks and see how I do. I think I'm just going to take they zinc because the vitamin has done nothing for me and it was not cheap.

It's not just things that most consider junk food like fries, chips and pizza that are the problem. Many things that have come to be considered wholesome home cooking are not much more than junk and are taking the place of food with nutrients. You want to eat mostly bright colorful fruits and vegetables. Quality meats not coated with flour and fried or smothered with anything. Eggs. etc. You want to keep all meals, drinks and snacks low to moderate glycemic load. You want to test grains, nuts, seeds and dairy for intolerance by avoiding them for at least a month each and even if you notice no improvement (no sign that you were intolerant) grains and dairy should not be a big part of your diet. Grains are usually consumed in the form of high glycemic impacting junk foods and even when consumed whole they are primarily filler taking the place of better more nutrient dense foods. They shouldn't be the base of your pyramid, And dairy contributes to acne in so many ways that you should limit it's consumption. Especially of unfermented dairy products from grain fed and hormone and antibiotic filled factory dairy cows.

#7 lifewasalladream92

lifewasalladream92

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Well I don't think that the junk food is the only thing contributing to my acne. I used to eat way worse before and my skin was clear as day. My acne really starting flaring up about 3 months ago when I started using bio oil for some scars I had (not on my face though).. so I think that defintely has something to do with it. But anyways I know certain foods can make acne worse but it's not the cause of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users